Official Discussion: May 26th, 2022 Dev Update

You are right. I did not explain well my point of view.
I did not refer to many third-party companies that develop planes or scenarios for any simulator, but only those who have, so far, produced flight simulators platforms (Microsoft, Laminar and Lockeed Martin) before MSFS2020. I wouldn’t want to be misunderstood, they certainly did some great work, but their communication was not as widespread as it is now do Asobo and Microsoft making an hour and a half update video every month and answering user questions as much as possible, or at least, in the past, I have never seen that.

In my life I bought the whole series of Microsoft Flight Simulator, Laminar Xplane 9 -10 -11, and P3D 2 and 3, but I cannot say nothing about others that I do not know (like DCS) so I apologize to many manufacturers who regularly post their updates on their product (such as PMDG, Just Flight, Milviz and many others)

1 Like

Hear hear. Unfortunately those things happen way too often here.
WU3 - stutters and bad performance, lots of users complaining, got told it is their ystem’s fault, the sim is perfect. Result: Asobo fixed it a few weeks later.

SU5 - unstable, graphical downgrades, and again many users complaining. Asobos Private Army: No the sim is fine and it looks better than ever. Result: Fixed by Asobo a few weeks later.

And now we have SU9 - bad performance, stutters, FPS drops, CTDs lots of users complaining, and again the same old crew stating everything is perfect, it is our system’s fault.
However this time Asobo seems to be focused on other things or chose to ignore those issues which is a shame, as many of us can’t play it anymore as we used to.

1 Like

Let’s try to keep the discussion productive and on-track here. Some discussions above are debating positions on whether the sim is or is not working well for some/most users.

Let me add… not a single flight simulation product since I began using them roughly 40 years ago was perfect. Some users (most) had an acceptable experience whereas others (generally a smaller subset) had problems. This is life, and it isn’t fair. But it is expected with products this incredibly complex and detailed. For those with issues, it truly stinks… it kills the joy they are hoping for, and that’s understandable. For those with minimal problems, that’s great. This is the ultimate objective of the dev team. We all have to live together here and not make “the other side” uncomfortable.

Forums are generally a place folks look for help, so let’s try and be helpful to one another and not stoke division.

8 Likes

I believe this is still a WIP of sorts. When I have scenery caching set to Ultra, when I rotate my view about, to my mind I should not see any reduction in GPU usage, and in fact should climb to a high watermark to indicate all possible scenery is now loaded. But that isn’t want I see, and this was better before SU5 came along. SU5 broke this, and severely hobbled GPU VRAM usage. Subsequent patches have improved upon this, but personally I think it has never been fully fixed.

But we are getting there, step by tortuous step. As ever, I have high hopes for SU10, and really my hope is that we have no further regressions.

1 Like

My hopes hinge on whether the development organization is well funded and expertly staffed. I’m starting to have my doubts.

A post was split to a new topic: Difficulties with B777 ER Purchase

From that point of view I can agree with you. (exept ED) However, the available manpower should then also be taken into account. Laminar, for example, is a 12-strong company. (Accounting and cleaning lady included) Don’t expect big movements in a short time.
And Ben is actually quite active for that.

However, I assume that after FS2020 was released, a large part of the devs involved were withdrawn to devote themselves to other projects.
Maybe that’s another reason why debugging is so sluggish. People fix things made by other people. Searching for the needle in the haystack.

1 Like

I feel like they are indeed communicative, but at the same time the communications don’t provide the information people are expecting. It begs the question if the time invested in the Q&A is a good investment.

I also think the need for such communication decreases as trust in the product increases. At least that is my feeling. In my experience our clients don’t have a lot of questions if they are happy with what we are delivering. But if we don’t meet expectations, you can bet you’ll be doing plenty of communicating - and the right communication combined with actions and results can totally fix it.

1 Like

All of us would want more, i understand that but I think that Asobo is making a great job. I guess it is a difficult work to satisfy million of users in the world with many, many different configuration on their computers.
Maybe would more easy if all of us would have the same computer with the same hardware and software but this would be impossible, so will be impossible that all users be happy.

We have just to wait and see what will happen in the next releases, but i am sure that the things will improve, even though will never be perfect.

Instead I am very satisfy from MSFS2020 and i have few or no problem with the SU9, maybe because my computer is dedicated enterely to the simulator, no other software is installed on my system. Maybe this is that grant me more stability, but it is only my opinion and this is not supported by nothing

Don’t XBOXers have the same hardware? Thousands of them.

Which rather nullifies your argument, to some extent.

3 Likes

As just stated this is precisely what we have with the Xbox userbase.

What is really frustrating is, right now, there is a 2400+ post long thread full of commentary on how the sim is behaving very differently between individual Xbox users — even when the sim is stripped down to the base version.

I posed a Q&A question asking Asobo to explain what they thought the reasons this could possibly be. It didn’t get enough votes.

ALL of you PC users should want to know the answer to this, because if they truly don’t know why this is, then this development team is in serious trouble.

There has to be a logical explanation for the source of these varied user experiences and knowing the reason is the key to getting many of this sim’s issues resolved.

I’ve actually posed, to one Xbox user with serious issues, that he should ship his Xbox to me, who isn’t having serious troubles, so that I could install the sim on his factory-reset Xbox and see if I start to have the same issues.

Is the issue somehow tied to his user account, DRM, regional mirror server that hosts his installation files, Internet connection, route to servers — what is it?

6 Likes

Hi thanks for replying, the autopilot on A320 neo on my set up when the flight plan has be made and from the main screen to the copit on the glareshield it is on Managed with the yellow dot. The transition is always 5000ft FMC has selected ft indicated at points. Ater takeoff and permission is given to continue i switch the autopilot on and the plane takes the the route, the throttle then placed to climb position . The plane continues . When atc tells me to to start climbing further too say 15000ft I alter the v/s to too + say 1000ft and press or pull knob. The 15000 ft is indicated in blue the Autopilot is still on but nothing happeneds. When v/s goes off and the only way i can increase the hight is to pull up and autopilot disengage which is anticipated. Same applies when desending , it not controlling the decent. Im using xbox s and not PC. I was with xplane 10 for about 5 years and all was fine, till it changed to xplane 11. I the switched to Xbox.
Sorry it was a long reply.

1 Like

Having just read the script of the last Q&A. I look forward to the stated refinements to improve aircraft ground handling. I am somewhat concerned however about the changes to wind gusts. As any RW pilot knows that, especially with light aircraft and gliders, gusty winds can make handling, particularly on takeoff and landing, not only difficult but downright dangerous. Even experienced pilots, in my experience, were sometimes faced with a decision where it was prudent to leave the aircraft in the hangar, and stay on the ground untill the wind conditions improved. Please Asobo take care with this feature, trained pilots have difficulty seeing the Sim as game…just as RW flying never, ever is. I would suggest that without a switch to minimise wind gusts…or turn them off completely…there could be a lot of unhappy users around.

I’m far from an expert, but if the autopilot is in managed mode, leave the v/s alone. Just dial in the new height and right click to keep it in managed mode. I don’t think I’ve ever dialed in v/s…I just leave the Airbus to manage itself, only changing altitude if I need to. :person_shrugging:

Cheers for coming back so soon , i will try that my friend if that works i will get back , thank you any for getting in contact and help. We are all learning something my friend. CHEERS.

1 Like

Super , its working and i found why it wasnt . It was my mouse buttons which was all mixed up. Its working like you said. Thankyou again for you help.

1 Like

Finally someone who agrees with me about it too. I can’t stand it when I’m flying. I’ve stopped using MSFS and my Xbox is packed away in the closet cause I’m tired of it. Who knows when I’ll use it again. I’m just done with it for awhile. I’ve moved on to Aero Fly now.

Didn’t they say that is would be either choose another airport, or use preset weather?
Because hey: we want realism, not gamification. Or is this a suggestion to be able to choose live weather, but with the possibility to opt out from v certain aspects, like gusts and turbulence.
Honestly I would find that a somewhat weak decision.

@JunkDouglas44 why don’t you choose a preset if turbulence bothers you? Besides, e learned from the Q&A that they will tweak it a bit for SU10. Hopefully it will be more fun for you afterwards.

Well said, nothing is perfect. One day it could be you!! Be thankful its not, Yet.

I don’t have an XBox and would love to know this.

Over the past 2 years, probably my most repeated quote on this forum is “The most consistent thing about MSFS is how inconsistent the experience is from user to user”.

Prior to XBox / SU5 release, of course apologists would come out of the woodwork and explain to my “dumb” ■■■ (that’s only been working as a dev for longer than some of them have been alive) how it was due to the wide variety of hardware out there and they can’t program for every unique setup (with an obvious lack of understanding of what DX is).

Then the XBox version was released. And lo and behold, the same inconsistent experience from user to user was showing up there as well. Which is something that shouldn’t happen on such unified hardware. Yet here we are.

Today, you can take 3 “identical” XBoxes loaded with a vanilla install of MSFS so that you can’t blame marketplace add-ons. One is perfect. The other has stutters and pauses everywhere. And the other can’t even make it to the main menu without a crash to dashboard.

So yes, I would love to know why this is, as it points to a much larger problem under the hood that isn’t related to the end users’ hardware.

10 Likes