[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

How do you propose they do this? I’ll be open, and let you know it’s a probing question to see how much you know of what you are actually asking. When I asked you before about how they fix the “melted PG”, telling them to replace it with non-melting PG tells me you don’t have a firm grasp of what’s going on, or the depth of what you ask.

3 Likes

Hi I would say your picture does not look as it should? I just finished the Rockies Bush trip yes I had some places that did look sparse but in general it was good. What I noticed was a memory problem on leg 2 and 3 where I had to restart the simulator because of a memory error? Don’t know if it was a code error, memory leak or memory problem but this is the only time that I have ever seen this error?

Now the problem error:

This happened when I landed at the designated airport when I selected to go to the next leg. It did register the leg as completed.

3 Likes

A probing question to me? Asking the wrong person. Perhaps probe the devs or those who released WU11? I have never claimed to be a developer, scenery designer or have the necessary knowledge to be able to produce or generate content for this sim or suggest the fixes to the pg problem.

We all have purchased this “production” product created by the “professionals” at Asobo/microsoft which is their field of work.

This forum is the documentation of findings and the sim communities evaluation of this wu11 production update and all of our efforts to obtain support to get it rectified.
I could go into all of the details again but that would be just re-hash of what is posted in more than 900 posts above in this forum and many other sites postings concerning WU11. (IE: WU Canada is out - Page 21 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community)

On a higher level, most of us are simply the consumers here. It is not up to us to create solutions to fix the problems, we just bought the product and install the content and in this forum we are simply conveying the issues found and are seeking support to the developer to rectify.

My point was that Asobo didn’t create the PG data, so you cannot ask them to fix it. You seem to assume that they did. I don’t know where they source the data, but I assume they source what is available. What their policy is with regard to choice i.e. do they buy the cheapest they can get, I have no idea.

And even if they did, what you ask is non-trivial.

“If you could just go out and re-image that entire city for me, for hours on end, that would be great. Then spend the next few weeks or months tidying it up, and then give it to me for free. Thanks!”

That is in effect what you ask. We all want better PG, but I have an inkling of what it takes to deliver so I don’t shoot them down in flames if it sometimes comes up short.

3 Likes

PG is a new technology in the way it’s used in MSFS, I’m sure it will improve over the years. Secondly, PG data is very limited and expensive, so there are definitely a number of issues that makes it much more complex than just “they should just fix it”.

1 Like

I do understand your points guys- that they can’t directly fix the source of the pg data or that pg is expensive and more complex. We know this. It was my point was that it was their choice or decision to use that lessor quality source of PG in wu11.

I still do not understand why a lessor pg data source would be used especially when there was a graphically better source of pg data already in place. A quick Q&A would have brought a quick resolve: a no brainer! The better pg would/should have been used and not a product that would degrade the update or overall product.

For myself, the only way to maintain a reasonable graphical display for Canada was to revert to the pre-wu11 pg content by removing the "canada-tin " folder. We had to figure that out but glad it worked.

(Also refer to forum posts: CN Tower is worse in World Update 11)

Anyways, no use kicking a dead horse, I’m sure “they” all know by now that the update was not well accepted, and the ball is in their court, so to speak.

1 Like

According to the NAV CANADA Aerodrome directory (08 September 2022-03 November 2022), CYZF is supposed to have the tower and ground manned from 14-05Z. I flew there and landed around 19Z (11 am Pacific time). There’s a tower there, but the ATC Window only shows General Traffic frequency.

Am I missing something?

In content manager, I can’t find Canada, and I don’t see 3 dots anywhere…can you please give more details.

The “3 dots” appear depending on what you have selected (on top in small red circle). Otherwise, just delete the PG cities:

3 Likes

Thanks, it seems it never got installed.

World Updates you would have to (free buy) from the Marketplace. These are not automatically installed when they come out.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, didn’t realize it doesn’t auto install.
So then you are saying to uninstall Canada-3D PG cities if I don’t like the results…I’ll check it out and see how it goes.

1 Like

I flew there before WUXI and CYZF did have tower ATC. Have you tried changing the simulator time to test it?

Yes, it was there before I installed WU XI because I would fly there regularly. Thanks. I filed a bug with Asobo.

1 Like

Will we ever get the option to download a WU but have the choice to use it or not?
A real Addon manager like the Addon Linker from flightsim.to ?
I know we PC-Nerds do not need it (although I know some guys who would need it!) but it would be a great addition for our X-Box friends!

There is a wish on this:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/enable-and-disable-community-and-marketplace-content-without-uninstalling/384674

Giving the number of votes, it doesn’t seem to be what a lot want? :person_shrugging:

You are correct, it would be great for Xbox console users.

Yeah some areas are better than others, I’ve also flown through some nice scenery, but there are areas in Canada where the scenery is sparse to the extreme.

My screenshot was taken at N54°58.12’ W121°4.52’.
But there also other suspect areas like those such as:

which is along the Rockies bush trip, at Amethyst Lakes (sorry I didn’t write down the coordinates), or:

which is at N51°47.53’ W117°19,40’.

Check your data settings, and that you have Bing texture streaming enabled.

Is that structure La Setas de Sevilla, it looked pretty good back in October 2020

But yeah those open structures do cause issues. What is needed for PG is what Blackshark AI does for top down aerial imagery. A clean up / recognition pass. Straighten out buildings, remove noise, fill in holes, clear out the underside of bridges. Then optimize flat surfaces. It’s like we’re getting the raw data without any checks :confused:

2 Likes

The whole sim looked good in 2020.

3 Likes