The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

Easily one of the highlights of the 40 year anniversary update.
I fly this one with a big grin on my face.

2 Likes

With a standard amphibian with floats and wheels, you can try spawning cold and dark at an airport near water and then slewing (Y-key) to place the plane on the water. I believe that works. Problem with the H-4 is that it has no wheels.

Clicking on a random spot on the World Map spawns you airborne. Slewing a moving plane to the water, even if Live Paused, will result in a crash.

1 Like

I can’t hear the engines sound. Anyone else?

What a beast the Spruce Goose is! Was great fun to take it off for a flight :smiley:

Anyone want to post a list of water runways? Using the filter doesn’t seem to work when zoomed out.

1 Like

I always loved the Spruce Goose since seeing it in Crimson Skies and in “the Aviator”.
Visually I cannot say much bad about it - anyway I discovered two small issues not even worth to file a proper bug report:

1. the orientation of the green navigation light orb is off - it is facing into the same direction as the red navigation light on the other wing:

Other than that the draw distance of the landing lights eemesh and light source is too short - with lights turned on during day you cannot see these until you set zoom to 100%
    Another small thing is the shadow of the props on the fuselage which shows a small rotating + from the prop hubs mesh:
  2. currently the aircraft got only 4 logical engines and propellers. It ofc. works but it would be great to see all 8 being individual after needed code changes by Asobo
  3. ATC information is completely missing - I added working atc parameters in my bug report over here: Missing or wrong atc/icao parameters on 40th Anniversary aircraft - #2 by Delta2k5

Other than this it flies reasonable good - it’s not the fastest one around and takes its time to climb but that’s expected. Nobody really knows how it handles anyway but scientists said that it somehow shall be able to meet the numbers intended.

H4: Quickeviews are incorrect. View doesn’t look in the direction of the hatswitch.

1 Like

Cannot repro this - hat switch to the left = view in cockpit also to the left, hat switch to the right = view in cockpit to the right. Same logic on external cam.

I’m on default controller settings and currently flying the H4…

This is regarding the Quickview settings, not default settings.

Has anyone found the clickspot for getting rid of the yoke? I’d like to be able to the basic instruments hidden in front of it.

Thanks!

Cha-cha-cha…

A tiny tiny thing I noticed is: Under Activities/40th Aniversary where we can choose the flight of the Hercules in Long Beach, CA, there is a typo in the mission briefing. It says Sunday, November 7th 1927. According to wikipedia it was on Sunday Nov. 2nd 1947. This is not a huge issue and of course does not affect the plane itself. But if there ever is perhabs a bug-fix update, it might be worth changeing…

4 Likes

there doesn’t seem to be working fuel gauges in this h-4 it would be nice if that could be added sometime

I like it. It responds like I thought it should. It’s fun to land on water. Trying to figure out closing the engine cowl flaps. The switches don’t seem to do it.

I fixed the external light directions so the green nav now shines correctly. Also I adjusted some copy/paste errors on other lights.

This is a replacement for the lights as defined in systems.cfg:

[LIGHTS]
lightdef.0=Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:-56.37,-33.112,11.972#LocalRotation:-80,0,-25#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Landing#Node:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Wing_L#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Wing_L
lightdef.1=Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:-56.37,33.112,11.972#LocalRotation:-80,0,25#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Landing#Node:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Wing_R#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Wing_R
lightdef.2=Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:0.233,-2.858,-2.161#LocalRotation:-80,0,-25#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Landing#Node:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Float_L#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Float_L
lightdef.3=Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:0.233,-2.858,-2.161#LocalRotation:-80,0,25#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Landing#Node:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Float_R#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_Landing_Float_R
lightdef.4=Type:3#Index:0#LocalPosition:-0.161,-18.619,-0.313#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_NavigationRed#Node:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationRed#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationRed
lightdef.5=Type:3#Index:0#LocalPosition:-0.161,18.619,-0.313#LocalRotation:0,0,-40#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_NavigationGreen#Node:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationGreen#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationGreen
lightdef.6=Type:3#Index:0#LocalPosition:0.00,0.00,0.00#LocalRotation:90,0.00,180#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_NavigationWhite#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationWhite#Node:LIGHT_HH4_NavigationWhite
lightdef.7=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:65,30,40#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Interior_Spot#Node:Cockpit_Light_spot_1_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_spot_1
lightdef.8=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:65,-35,-40#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Interior_Spot#Node:Cockpit_Light_spot_2_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_spot_2
lightdef.9=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_1_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_1
lightdef.10=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_2_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_2
lightdef.11=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_3_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_3
lightdef.12=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_4_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_4
lightdef.13=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_5_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_5
lightdef.14=Type:10#Index:0#LocalPosition:-1.859,0.282,1.903#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_BluemeshHH4_Halo#Node:Cockpit_Light_Halo_6_node#PotentiometerIndex:10#EmMesh:Cockpit_Light_Halo_6
2 Likes

YES the switches work. Need a Flight Engineer.

i also use the X52 with default setting, quickview are right… Did you try it on other aicrafts ?

I’ve tried every aircraft offered by the game. Quickview is horrible.
Have you tried uppind a DC-3 and looking around using the Quickview setting? Not the default hatswitch setting.

I love the water splash effect of the H-4, however the outer floats need the threshold to be fine tuned as the effect often doesn’t activate even tho the float is “in the water”.

I hope this effect will one day be applied to all the seaplanes.