[OFFICIAL] Twitch Flying Lessons: C152

Thanks N6722C. I would rather not surcumvent the restrictions on the forum. Jayne will post it with the rest of the lessons on PDF. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

This is absolutely fantastic - and all for free! Unreal. Well done and thank you :grinning:

Captain B (check out my humorous MSFS adventures on YouTube) - Captain B - YouTube

1 Like

@HowardElvis what’s that Discord? Is it public? If so, could you share the link or send an invite? Thanks again!

@HowardElvis found it! Microsoft Flight Simulator In which channel are you? cc @Jummivana

Hi Guardio, Jayne and Royal manage their discord channel. I don’t have a specific channel on their Discord. I do have my own Discord on my twitch stream and when you are viewing one of my streams, just type !discord to get the invite. Jayne or Royal can jump in to give you more details about the MSFS discord links.

3 Likes

Hi Howard,
Any news yet on the Lesson 1 document?
I can’t find it on Discord (to be honest, I don’t know how that works).
K.r.

Sorry for the delay, Howard sent me the PDF a while ago, just got it uploaded!

4 Likes

Thank you Jummivana

1 Like

Many thanks for these lessons Jayne and Forder, really interesting and extremely useful

3 Likes

Pleased I have found this thread, subscribe to Forder’s Twitch channel but being in UK and work commitments not managed to fly with him. Now I can practice a bit on my own and maybe join at some point.

2 Likes

Hello, I can’t stress enough how great that you do those lessons. I am real life light-sport aircraft pilot and starting PPL course soon that I am going to fly on Cessna 150. I can’t watch your videos live but I watch them after you record your session. It’s extremely helpful. Please continue and make your course complete. It’s so great to have lessons from a real-life professional instructor.

5 Likes

Here is the VOD for Lesson 5, Circuits:

5 Likes

This is gold

1 Like

Thanks so much for putting in the energy to prepare and record these flying lessons. I love the pacing, the interaction and of course the information given. I feel like I really am flying with you as my instructors and I learn a lot.
Here’s a noob-question. I did’t see it asked above. While I was watching lesson #1 @HowardElvis was referring a few times to the ‘ground school’ where @Jummivana had been studying hard. Are these ground school sessions something apart from the flying lessons? Or were you joking a bit, referring to reading a pdf-document as being the ‘ground school’. As I would like to get on board and catch up with you I would like to know if we could prepare for the upcoming flying lesson by reading some material provided on your channel or in our own PPL-books. Thank you again, you’re awesome!

1 Like

Don’t take this the wrong way but these are slow. It’s a good thing! It’s nice to feel like you are part of the process. Never got my pilots license but had to stop the process just before my solo flight :frowning: Hoping to continue in the future, but these videos bring back memories of the process.

Miss practicing spins and stalls, bit surprised they are not part of the curriculum anymore but I understand. I hated it when the instructor did them, but when I had control it changed somehow and I loved it! Perhaps the fact that I had control and knew it was controlled.

Yes, @wizhippo these lessons are slow, and a good thing as you say. In fact, we are covering material that would be in Lesson 7 or 8 depending on how many times we fly and the retention of the new skills of the student pilot. Jayne is retaining very well and her progress above average. She has a notebook with every detail we have covered and those learning/study skills have paid off. So we are already doing circuits by the fifth lesson.
On your comment about spin training; too many student/instructor airplanes have perished practicing this part of the curriculum. That is my guess as I don’t speak to those who removed it from the ciricculum. But just hearing from CFIs and others at airports. When a small plane with an instructor has gone down, many witnesses describe plane attitudes that reflect a spin or spiral. With experienced instructors on board. So we learn stalls so we recognize when it will happen and correct beforehand but spins are just too dangerous to practice. Just remember in the simulator we can do anything so you can on your own induce a spin, power to idle, neutralize rudder, forward pressure to stop the stall, rudder in opposite direction to spin, hold these inputs. As recovery stops, neutralize rudder and positive recover from the spin. No worry and no danger. Scary memories of flight training but keep your cool and think about these steps. You won’t see this in our training with Jayne.
Thanks for the memory and your comments on our flight lessons.
-Howard (Forder)

4 Likes

Thanks @GhostlyFrend for your warm comments. In lesson one, I did refer to “ground school”. In real flight lessons, students would study in classroom for a total of 45 hours as a prerequisite to be a student pilot with a student pilot permit. For the sake of the stream and how deep and detailed such sessions would be, we didn’t do that. Also, with my online courses I didn’t do that either. That is by design. In fact, you can take real flight lessons and go up with an instructor as long as you are enrolled in ground school even if you haven’t finished it.
As in my online courses, I introduce ground school topics for homework along the way. You will notice when you get to Lesson 5 (a few days ago) that home assignments have deeper content, which you would normally learn in ground school, such as airspace classes.
These lessons aren’t meant to give everyone the equivalent of flight school from start to finish. That would take 70 hours of flight time and hundreds of hours of study time. That needs to be done in a registered flight school with CFIs and correctly monitored ground school, tests and final exams and check rides.
So Jayne and her fellow students are learning along with the rest of us and reading in between lessons. That “just in time learning” is very effective in Adult Education and that is what I am employing here.
I make reference to the online FAA documents where you can fill in the blanks on any theory of what we are doing here. My hope is that anyone taking these lessons along with Jayne and her fellow students will have a deeper insight for what to expect when you sign up for real flight lessons at your local flight school. The shock of ground school and flight training leaves 85% of applicants dropping out. When students take courses such as mine, that number drops to almost half. My quest is to filter out students who aren’t serious about correctly learning to fly and move those who are ahead to real flight schools. They will accelerate their learning from the material we cover here.
-Howard (Forder)

3 Likes

Thank you @SkyHead81 for your warm comments. Although I am not a CFI, I am a highly qualified instructor with 17 certifications, including a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), teaching certificate from Harvard and many others. I design courses for Microsoft, Flight schools, private companies and of course this series of lessons which are unique to this community environment. I have been hired to help CFIs to teach more effectively, both privately and publicly in flight schools and individually.

I have always encouraged sim students to seek out a CFI at their local flight school for real lessons and for collaboration on these topics we cover in this series. They are legally qualified to take you up in an airplane with you in the left seat as Pilot in Command and log hours towards your Private Pilot License (PPL). They also have the task of doing all of this safely and with your needs in mind. That takes years of flight hours, training and money to be in that full-time professional position and they will keep you safe in the skies throughout your training.

1 Like

@Andybrwn7 I do have group flying on weekends; Saturdays at 8am and Sundays at 7pm Eastern Time to accomodate all time zones. Most UK flyers join up on the Saturday sessions.
I hope you can too. This Saturday is the OSHKOSH event at noon Feb. 13th Eastern Time. Hope you can make it.
-Howrad (Forder)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and your time. I’ll keep that in mind and limit my risk in real life and be content knowing what to do and practice in the sim as you mention.

Curios if spin recover is still part then of commercial or other licenses?