Ok so that's why Asobo Downgraded his game on PC?

These are my clouds on ultra with a 3080 and a 5900X. I KNOW they weren’t this bad before…

4 Likes

I’m going to have to try London, NYC seems super optimized?

Ok I just did that – see my previous post. With screenshot in Dev mode.
Observation: In all cases (whether Task Manager or in the FPS counter) MS FS2020 on PC in my London City scenario shows that it uses around 10GB of main RAM.
Conclusion: The PC version of FS2020 does not limit RAM usage to 7GB.

1 Like

Asobo revert the downgrade! I have a 4k PC and I dont want my software to beeing forced to render a ■■■■■■ console version. I just flew over miami and it was gone. It popped in when I came close about 5nm. What a joke!

7 Likes

Actually, London City has many many more buildings to render than NY does!
(The buildings in NY are much bigger of course.)

1 Like

I may be making a massive assumption here, but the revenue you refer to would be content from the Marketplace, not a one-off purchase of the sim. I’m sure some will, but I assume that the person who would make lots of purchases from the marketplace are probably on the more serious side of the flight sim community, and I see that as more on the PC side. But that is probably only prejudice on my part.

1 Like

Why would Asobo downgrade PC version in sake of Xbox version? What’s the conspiracy behind this? And am I the only one who likes this SU5? It runs smoother and I don’t see any visual quality degradation. Maybe quite opposite… for example the overall colour tone and brightness look more realistic to me now. Yes, ATC is broken, some addon sceneries make the sim CTD etc. Bugs will get fixed, I am sure about that.

1 Like

Jeez. . That’s ultra? I’ve never seen a cloud look that atrocious in any other previous build.

3 Likes

Yea you do someone else posted about these limitations but you seemingly discount those assertions that he made.

If you look at your total of CPU usage and GPU the total still stays below 16gb, it’s odd.

Yes idk why they would have to. The XBOX is pretty powerful, easily as good as a mid range PC build. The fact is they did do some substantial downgrades though. My guess is that they wanted to make sure they could hit a locked 30FPS @4K on the consoles.

2 Likes

I have to wonder, because to date X-plane uses the term. The world’s most advanced flight simulator. Nobody has forced them to retract that yet. Do you use it as well since you are a pilot? Or is it just the smoothness, and scenery you are happy about? Would it not be great to have a simulator that functions as a whole simulator rather than a filtered scenery simulator? Which it most certainly is filtered a lot more since the update as per the video in this discussion we are involved in. I think the cat is out of the bag here, It is now a manipulated simulator. Tweaked, trimmed, and suddenly repackaged without regard to what anyone has already paid for. Or holding to any commitment to remain what it is now even. That should make people think about what they are buying in the future. So you may have an even less cluttered sky soon. With smooth graphics that works less effectively than it’s competitor. But since you already can afford two avenues of choice you will just get all 3 right. Just asking.

The problem is a lot of people had a gorgeous simulator that worked fantastically, and now they don’t. I can’t blame anyone for being upset…

4 Likes

I’m not “seemingly discounting” those speculations.
Rather, it’s Asobo’s own FS dev mode that’s discounting them. :wink:

At least TRY to correctly phrase a sentence and spell check yourself before posting something like this.

Ok. Loaded DEV.

I don’t know what it means.

Peak CPU Mem = 9.789GB
I guess you will have a way to explain this away.

You say all this with such authority that I believe you.

I have always understood that Windows and its Apps will use all the SDRAM that is installed on the system.

And that Memory Management is controlled by Windows.

It is very hard for me to accept/believe that FS2020 will limit its Memory usage to
6.8GB when I have 64 GB available to the system (shared by Win 10 and all other Apps).

I can’t believe that ASOBO would do this.

Any programmer could check the system specs to determine if this program
is on an XBOX or PC.
Limit what it wanted for the XBOX and leave the PC alone.

It is hard to think that ASOBO is that pitiful.

Of course, I am speaking of something that I have no knowledge of.
It could be different if I knew.

Of course, the ASOBO programmers could have found that their
program before was using a lot of memory that was not needed.

Like not freeing up RAM after it used it and there was no need to keep it.

Maybe they realized that 6.8 GB was all (the max) the RAM that FS2020 needed.

Same with VRAM. I would think NVIDIA would not be very happy.
I wanted a new GPU, RTX 3080.

But my lowly GTX 1660 TI, 6GB VRAM, appears to be all that I need.
I know there is other new features.

I’m one of them.
Mine was gorgeous before SU5 and is after SU5.

I feel very fortunate.
i9-9900K, 64GB SDRAM, M.2 NVMe SSD, 4k HDMI TV.
I fly 4K Ultra with the only change being Render Scaling set to 80.

I don’t know why so many other users have the problems that they have.

2 Likes

Telling my unvarnished opinion . For me, SU 5 is a downgrading of the PC version to xbox level, as far as the graphics are concerned. For a year the PC faction was allowed to advertise on the net with fantastic photos and videos that could hardly be distinguished from real flights and now the PC Simmers are being castrated at xBox level. On my PC (i9 10900k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD) the graphics of the Scenery are now close to FSX Landclass level. Totally overexposed, massively reduced textures, totally unnatural oversaturated colors, much poorer water display, often with steps in the water surface, which can cause a rollover when taking off and landing with seaplanes. These steps can also often be seen on land as blue lines. The quality of the reflections in the water has also decreased. All in ultra settings. Asobo announced that they could unlock potential in DX11 with new code and achieve an enormous performance boost. I would have achieved this boost in a much shorter time without code generation, simply by sliding the slider in the graphics settings all the way to the left, and it would have been individually available for each simmer. Yes, you hear a fair amount of anger in my post, but it’s more than that; it is pain because of what we have already been able to experience in terms of absolutely fantastic graphics.

6 Likes

Something interesting I noticed watching that interview. The Series S and X have pretty different draw distances. If they can separate those two versions, I don’t understand why they had to remove quality from the PC version?!?

1 Like

Let me rephrase then, there has been no deliberate attempt at a visual downgrade. Like you, I do notice some of the issues, colour saturation is slightly off, the in-game menus are no longer aliased in VR, there is some noticeable LOD pop in/culling going on. I haven’t personally experienced any texture degradation but I know some have said that has happened at high altitudes.

None of these issues are deliberate attempts to downgrade the PC to make the console look comparatively better as many are reporting. They will fix these issues back up again over the next few weeks, and then, thanks to the engine changes under the hood, we will have a better platform from whch to push further.

Some people are getting incredibly worked up about temporary bugs and minor issues, acting as their sim is ruined for all time. It’s going to be fine.

3 Likes