Ok so that's why Asobo Downgraded his game on PC?

Where am I doing this? Nowhere am I saying that people may not send in their issues. Is posting a beautiful picture the same as defending MicroSobo? I try to push back a bit against the ranting, name calling, conspiracy talk. That’s something entirely different.

Why do you take people that are complaining more serious than those who aren’t? I’ve posted evidence pictures from people who don’t think SU5 degraded visually. Are those pictures faked? No! Are the pictures from people who are disappointed faked? No! This means that the truth about this is fuzzy. It’s not black/white, zero/null… That’s why we need information so that we can dig together.

2 Likes

That is the only plausible, and sane, explanation.

6 Likes

I’ve never had issues prior to sim update 5 even when other people complained about issues they were encountering, i was always lucky I guess but I never came onto the forum to discredit those who actually ran into issues. Nobody comes here just for the sake of trolling/trashtalking asobo, especially not if its so much people that open threads complaining about Sim Update 5

1 Like

I think this may be me, I certainly did not run the game at highest fidelity, as previous performance never allowed me to.

I think the way to get to the truth is have an access to adobo and devs, let them explain the current expected performance, given changes made for the release of Xbox.

Solution could be as simple as having in game setting options to crank up graphics to previous levels, and accept that performance maybe affected (not expect high frame rate).

2 Likes

And this!

1 Like

I will comment: In terms of color balance / saturation / contrast etc, there’s there’s virtually no difference between pre-SU5 and SU5 in these before/after videos. eg. The sky is exactly the same shade and intensity of blue. the water is the same color and shade. The white paint on the upper wings is virtually the same; runway grey color is the same. Grass is the same. And tree objects extend actually further into the far distance then they do in SU4!
There is a slight difference in the map & buildings – but that’s because some parts of the data being streamed from the Microsoft servers has obviously been changed in places. I do see a bit more pop-in with SU5. The frame rates are much better in SU5 and without the stuttering that occurs in pre-SU5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxwDB_n8Mg

1 Like

I had no idea that we had so many giants of the tech industry who are also simmers commenting in this forum. Given the number of experts pontificating in multiple threads about what is wrong, what should be fixed and how quickly, whilst also casting aspersions on the morals and motives of those responsible, I simply cannot understand why it has taken since 1977 to get even close to a technology of this complexity…the rest of us have been waiting for you - where have you all been?

5 Likes

Beside the heated reaction from the community about this update, you would say that the U5 didn’t came with a huge problem that is more than borderline ?

I have been playing on high/ultra settings since the start and have no problems with the quality of SU5.

I guess there was something we might have given more thought to when, from the outset in late 2019, a PC ‘game’ was being developed by XBox Studios. Hindsight is 20/20.

And this too:

The “golden hours” are fine, absolutely … however there are another 20 hours to each cycle.

I choose for now to avoid them.

I have worked as a photographer starting off winding film backs for Hasselblads

1 Like

They did have a video but it was channeled towards certain questions and answered buy a guy who seemed extremely smart but elusive with the answers maybe because of language and time constraints I will be fair, but it was not something that sounded to me like they intend to undo or change at this time. In Fact the first thing he says is he is happy the update worked, I intend to keep squeaking like a rusty steal wheel on a rusty train track. Because I know I am not alone when I say if I could decline updates until I feel like they are good enough they wont make me waste 8 hours of what was supposed to be enjoyable time, And remember many people work at computers all day and are not here complaining because ASOBO lost I don’t know how many customers to this, and they don’t even have a clue yet that is what is sad. I’ll say it again, wait till the ladies get here. ! Its going to be a ---- storm.

What adjustments did you make out of curiosity?

So there’s the thing. In my experience, it didn’t. At SU4 I had sub 15fps and instability over PG areas and a lot of stuttering. Overall I could get above 30fps with micro stuttering.

Post SU5+hotfix I have stable rates at 30fps and a smoother experience than ever, everywhere. I assume this is in part because the optimisations have provided higher absolute rates which in turn create headroom for fixed performance.

I absolutely get that there are a lot of people on the forums who are having problems but would make the following observations:

1. I have no idea what proportion of the active user base the folks with gamebreaking problems represent, so therefore would not presume that most users are having those problems.

2. It therefore follows that we have no real insight into the distribution of issues across different system specs and setups, or indeed between PC and Xbox users.

3. Associated with this, there does seem to be a belief frequently expressed that no update should be released that compromises third party mods, which as I have commented elsewhere seems to me to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between Asobo and third party developers (see also plenty of similar previous debates within the P3D community)

4. My sense is that after each update - Sim or World - we have had many people who find the sim unplayable. However, this seems to subside once things have settled down. My question would be whether that suggests that at least some issues are to do with server load, esp concentrated in popular areas, steady release of mods that have been updated to not conflict with the update on question and / or other optimisations behind the scenes. If that is not the case, then clearly we must have a lot of very unhappy but thus far very persistent campers.

In the absence of data to assess the actual numbers of people highlighting issues on the forum vs the total number of users and then segment them according to use case, spec etc it seems to me difficult to understand the exact scale of what is happening.

However, I would be genuinely interested in knowing, as much from a professional project management perspective as that of a simmer…

One final thing, all of the above relates to the core performance issues, or lack thereof. As a largely GA and VFR flier there may be other other bugs that I cannot really comment on.

With all the 4 points you completely ignored the point that is and the explanation of your FPS gain (a part), and pretty much entire point of this topic as well as the major burst on the forum against the devs :

MSFS PC major graphics downgrade even on ULTRA setting.
So the game being held back in term of sim aspect (so far ?), they ruined the “only” good thing it had so far, esthetic

Did you read those topics before to go full sarcasm about the amount of software genius present here ?

1 Like

Well, you asked me a question and I gave you the answer, which is different to your experience.

To answer your new question, yes I have have.

I also thought I might take some time to offer some further reflections based on having spent a year in this forum and using the sim.

However, since it seems that I am in a minority in terms of lived experience and do not understand what is going on I won’t trouble you again. I hope you get the improvements you need with the speed that you desire.

1 Like

Ps. I just saw this :
Graphics Fix for Sim Update 5 - How to Get Your High Quality Visuals Back | MSFS - YouTube

2 Likes

Yes, it refers to adjusting the following file:

“C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt”

Some of the options you can adjust:

{PostProcess
	Enabled 1
	EyeAdaptation 1
	ColorGrading 1
	Sharpen 1
	Fringe 1
	LensDistortion 0
	Dirt 1
	LensFlare 1
	FilmGrain 1
	Vignette 1
	LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
	FringeMultiplier 1.000000

And for adjust the LOD above what the GUI allows for:

{Terrain
	LoDFactor 2.000000
}
{ObjectsLoD
	LoDFactor 2.000000

If people are replying to comments about issues others are having with:

• “it works fine for me” (passive aggressive for " you are making it up " )
  • “please provide proof of your alleged issues” (disbelief disguised as an attempt to gather data - translates as “you are making it up”)
  • accompanied by subjective dismissal of any evidence provided

They firstly are extending the life of threads that would otherwise just die out of their own accord once people felt their grievances had been noted and secondly should fully expect to get irate responses in return and not act innocent and indignant when they get the expected response.

2 Likes