Ok so that's why Asobo Downgraded his game on PC?

Yes, it’s on. That has been checked many times.
Indeed I usually fly with photogrammetry off (not much point where I am doing most of my flying right now - rural africa) but I thought I would turn it all back on today and go see what the multiplayer skies looked like.

I also do not use either rolling or manual cache. I have had them disabled for months.
SU5 created a new rolling cache for me but I disabled the function and deleted the cache when checking my settings post update.

Please note. I had flown Edinburgh with multiplayer on and suffered a ctd approaching the airport. These photo’s were taken afterwards. With multiplayer off but photogrammetry and maps data on.

The original photo’s were taken as part of a screenshot series shortly after the release of both the FlyingIron spit and UK world update. (I was trying to take a shot for one of the screenshot compo’s)

2 Likes

That may be, but for me other than the FPS boost which I could have gotten from just turning down sliders everything else has degraded. Night lighting is back to pre-SU4 style with no variation in brightness or color, and the longer range highway lights are gone again. The road polygons have been generalized to the point the vertices collapse and overlap so there are weird diamond patterns everywhere now. The clouds are clearly downgraded visually in almost every flight I take. My local city’s skyscrapers don’t begin to appear until 10 miles out now so everything just pops on top of a blank slope and pops in more and more as I approach. This was never the case before. No CFG tweaking is fixing it, no sliders are fixing it. This was pure and simple a downgrade visually.

God help me, I’m actually looking forward to seeing how well X-Plane 12 looks in a couple months. Before this update I probably wouldn’t have cared less.

7 Likes

This is very complicated, SU5.
I was happy with SU4. I am happy with SU5.

I don’t see anything negative about SU5 in relation to XBOX and and
downgrading to the PC.

I see the Posts about LOD. I can’t see it, GTX 1660 TI. i9-9900K.

I watched a video from Digital Foundry:

Inside Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Ports, Performance, PC Optimisations - The Asobo Breakdown!

It looks impressive for what they did to FS2020.
There does not seem to be any downgrading to we PC users.

All I can say (and know) is that my 4K display is just getting better.
The graphics are wonderful and get better with each SU.

I don’t know if this is from my GTX 1660 TI (6GB VRAM).

The RTX 3080 and 3090 GPUs may have a different (and negative)
experience.

I don’t want to go back too SU4.

I am a happy PC user.

The reduction in System DRAM, CPU (1/2) and SGU VRAM
is amazing and wonderful.

I cannot see any reduction in graphics quality.

4 Likes

People have been suggesting for months that the impending console release was going to affect the PC version negatively. I myself had been saying that since last year. It’s been a sliding slope in many ways for the last few months, down to this “level playing field” that MS have no doubt imposed so as to protect their lucrative console environment.

It’s not going to be the cash cow for them that they think it is, in the long run. I think it’s a safe bet that a PC flight simmer is going to spend more money on Marketplace items than a flight simmer on console. The real revenue stream for MS is the Marketplace, not an XBox console. That’s the market they should be protecting, yet they appear to do nothing to ensure that items on there are of an expected quality.

Some may suggest this recent patch has issues that would be described as “bugs”. I have my doubts, but I’ve not seen enough console footage to know if the issues we are seeing are affecting the console version as well. I’d be prepared to stick my neck out, and suggest that they are because MS have achieved what they wanted: the unified platform. Sadly the PC users have lost out in this crusade to realise the console release, at any cost.

All in my humble opinion of course, and I let others footage speak for itself. It’s something I said ages ago, that with so many users taking footage through the products development at different stages, what was entertainment becomes a historical record of sorts. What can’t speak, can’t lie.

7 Likes

If I delete the manual cache then wont I have to go all the way back and re-scan them all again as I have done a few times already? If so then saving a manual cache, as good as it works when you do, is still going to be a pain for some time to come, am I not right about this? I mean then why does it seem to forget what is there, and when you click on it, it then says, “This it may take some time” I thought it should be rather fast, especially on an M.2 with heat sink on a PCExpress mounted slot. I know that was a bit, to read. Thank you for the information, and I will attempt it again, I thought I had done it but now will attempt it again. For general P.

Well, beats me, my graphics are as good as ever, maybe even better, fps way up so I can use High instead of Medium, no CTDs or any other serious problems, flying every day, enjoying new features and liveries etc - but then, as my wife often says, there may be something wrong with me! Cheers, and apologies/regret for those with serious issues.

3 Likes

SU5 is an improvement in VR for me with my 3090, Reverb G2, and full flight cockpit. I can run my G2 at its full resolution now and it looks almost as good as on my 4K TV.

I didn’t know those were a thing until recently, purchased one for my old 250gb Samsung to use my MSFS cache and it works fantastic. For under 20$ I put an old drive to great use, I could have done without the blue flashy lights but otherwise great purchase.

No, for me SU5 is a big improvement. I’m now flying in VR with my G2 at max settings and it looks awesome. I’ve been able to substantially bump my resolution up and increase settings and still have a smoother performance.

1 Like

Tell that to all the Xbox users who are reporting the exact same issues PC users are. Perhaps you can tell them to empty their community folder? Or as some of the other white knights have done, tell them their otherwise perfectly working Xbox is defective.

6 Likes

That is one positive aspect of the console version. If a console user reports a CTD, the scope of enquiry for Zendesk is going to be so much smaller. No community mods, no driver/OS considerations to worry about. This could truly benefit everyone, assuming that the causes are the same. Zendesk is going to find it much harder to deal with console tickets than PC tickets, and by that I mean supply a boiler plate response of things to try that are often of little relevance.

1 Like

Yes, I am running all my games on a 1 tb WD Black M.2 actually put inside a PCIEX8 slot. The converter was a little extra as it mounts inside the heat sink and goes in like a standard graphics card, but it does well, I also have 250gigs set aside for Rolling and Manual cache. The difference Manual makes is worth the time.

It ■■■■■■ me off to hear people regurgitating all these useless ZenDesk solutions as if it were the word of God and just thrashing people for telling them they already did it.

Seriously though, go search out some of the threads where Xbox users are experiencing crashes, failures to load the sim, failures to download the content / updates, etc - basically the same plethora of bugs that PC users having been experiencing since launch. The regular group of white knight apologists who are normally telling PC users to empty community folders or that there’s no way Asobo can possibly test all hardware configs are in there telling people their Xboxes are broken.

8 Likes

You just can’t please everyone, but I totally agree. All of the updates and free content make me a happy customer and I am so excited to see how far they can push this platform.

I agree with you,and so they will call me a conspiracy theorist, because I am old and uneducated, which makes me just old enough to know. How to spot bosses, and big wigs, that are getting kickback from companies, such as MB makers Ram makers, Peripheral makers, Film makers, Top gun, XBOX etc. They want to sell you their own version of a repaint! So they naturally have to do away with people doing that. But what do I know other than somebody is going to dog me for saying this. 3 2 1 …

1 Like

Bump up your LOD to 5 in the config file. It looks eerily similar to before the update with similar performance before SU5.

2 Likes

I’ll be trying this next flight. I can’t believe how they massacred my boy. The textures in SU5 out of the box looked like a N64 game at above FL220 or so.

2 Likes

Can we stop with all the speculation and baseless accusations for a minute? It’s not helpful and there’s also a very real chance that y’all are barking up the wrong tree. The devs already said they’re aware of the fact that the weather fix didn’t work, which means they’re paying attention, which means it’s highly likely they’re also aware of the other big issues and are working on those as well.

It’s only been four days since SU5. Four days isn’t nearly enough time to figure out what went wrong with the weather fix and actually fix it, figure out what’s causing the CTDs and fix it, figure out what’s causing the low scenery quality and fix it (assuming it’s a bug and not working as intended), and then test all those fixes and deploy them.

So everybody just hecking chill for a moment and wait for the next development update on Thursday, I’m sure they’ll have more info for us.

3 Likes

This sim has been out for just about a year on pc. The time for patience has long passed

10 Likes

the lod reduction and the pop ins are definitely not a bug though but the rest i don’t mind as much i only care that they restore the sim to how it was before visually.

3 Likes