Old Guys thoughts

I’m a reasonably old guy at 69, and while i take note of the above comments my thoughts are the sim will only get better over the coming months and years, I had no problems installing with steam took about 6 hours, iv’e had no ctd’s problems I mainly fly ga vfr and think the scenery is stunning out of the box compaired to all the other flight sims iv’e owned. I’m getting average 70 fps on high end settings.
system
cpu amd ryzen 3600
gpu amd 5700 xt anniversary edition 8gb
ssd 1tb m2
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4/3200MHz
the only problem i encountered was trying to setup my saitek x52
but managed to sort it thanks to a nice chap over at avsim
sorry for the long post only joined the forum today so Hi guys and gals

8 Likes

Totally agree with you.

I think it’s worth remembering Microsoft didn’t make MSFS 2020 exclusively for technically-minded virtual pilots - people like yourself (I assume) who enjoy the minutiae of technical piloting. MS and Asobo have always been clear and upfront that this sim was designed to please both ends of the market - experienced, knowledgeable simmers and newcomers alike.

To this end, I think they have succeeded. I can’t speak to the technical shortcomings in terms of real-world piloting and how MSFS 2020 might fall short in its current iteration as far as features and depth goes, but as a product a relative novice like myself can ‘pick-up-and-play’ and get huge enjoyment from, it’s definitely been a success.

It’s a balancing act for MS and Asobo. How to create both a ‘true’ flight simulator to please the experts and, at the same time, ensure maximum sales potential (and therefore financial longevity, going forward) with the more casual, inexperienced player?

We’ll see how the updates and improvements go. I love the product - it astounds me, frankly - and, so far, I’m getting more or less what I hoped for. But I’m not coming at this from a position of someone who could even tell you how to properly formulate a flight plan, let alone do a landing on ILS. The fact this sim comes with so much ‘Assistance’ is a huge bonus for me. I love it.

I hope MS (they control the money, after all) sticks with their stated intention to invest in this sim for the next few years. I see great things ahead, if they do. It might even mature into the kind of sim you are hoping for - although I hope they never forget there are people like me who also want to enjoy and participate in this amazing gaming space, but who struggle with the procedures and so therefore appreciate a helping hand.

5 Likes

Excellent write-up. I’m enjoying FS2020 for what it is, an arcade game with exceptional graphics. As a flight instructor, I’ll stick to XP11 for teaching. Let’s hope FS2020 gains true flight simulator functionality.

1 Like

Just out of interest what were you expecting? Loads of you “Old guys” are complaining about the kiddish windows 8 style but you’re saying its not user friendly enough.

You seem to compare it to FSX, which cost £60 at time of release (you do the inflation math) and had less planes airports and cities but according to your post its inferior. You complain its going to be cost driven because FSX and XPLANE wernt? To me your only complaint with merit is the installation issues you had.

It appears so many people on this forum want their cake, then to eat it then for MS to make them another cake. So you wanted to pay £60 for dozens more airliners a more hand-holdy menu system a bunch of skins which at the end of the day don’t really mean anything.

How can you compare this game to other sims then whinge that money will be the driving factor, when a plethora of insanely priced addons are the only thing keeping XPLANE and FSX afloat from dying years and YEARS ago.

The entitled attitude of many in here who cannot see the value in this market for what they have been given for how much compared to the cost of what it would take to achieve this in other sims for half the reward boggles my mind.

8 Likes

What I was expecting was a program that had a manual on how it works and how to set it up! A program that was ready to fly without all the bugs. Consider the purchase of a brand new car that turns out to be a “lemon”!

Your statement of “entitled attitude” is just showing your true personality!

The interface is aimed at young gamers, not at actual simmers, it looks like Battlefied V (game) interface.

It should have interface that is as serious as fsx or p3d, or it just going to become an outdated game very soon.

I cant even teleport the plane or change it while in flight.

I think with some of these things, as with every other simulator ever, its 3rd parties who are going to make the specific applications that people need. There were no liveries in FSX or XP11 (and atrocious AI in XP11), 3rd parties built traffic apps that filled the gap. Likewise with ATC, both FSX and especially XP11 have dreadful ATC but P2ATC plugs the gap really well and will be working with MSFS as soon as the Simconnect issue is resolved.

Right now, my XP11 is more fully featured than MSFS with decent traffic, decent ATC and VR but that’s 2/3 external developers, not native.

If you use Flight Events you can move your plane around on the map and it will reload in MSFS

You can actually calibrate your devices in the control menu, but it doesn’t make it any better.

1 Like

What about free flight, I really hope for an interface like fsx instead of this silly eye candy type of interface.

You can do free flight by not defining a destination airport. I think the interface is really good, like a hybrid of FSX and XP11. The flight planning is better than either by far and like I say, if you want to move around to any localtion you can use SimEvents.

1 Like

And yet you addressed nothing else in my post about your comparisons to older sims literally saved by thousands of pounds worth of paywalls to make it relevant in todays age. You did not address my response to your “I WANTED MORE PLANES” “I WANTED MORE LIVERIES” you just cherry picked the one thing i said were your LEGITIMATE issues such as bugs and issues running the game, to me that only proves my point to be true.

Fact is for the price paid you got more out of this sim than any other sim has ever released with, yes their are bugs yes they need fixing and the next few months will test MS/Asobos dedication to the product - I’m pretty confident.

Oh and if you’re worried that this game will become money dependant take comfort in the fact you wont be rifling through your savings just to get the South of England ok? You got all of it, and the rest of the world included.

4 Likes

I am doing free flights by not defining a destination airport, while in flight, I can see the map and I cant teleport the plane and I cant change the altitude, I can’t change the plane, I can’t change the visibility in the weather menu …

1 Like

Game interface like the new msfs : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wMPKLR-TXOI/maxresdefault.jpg

True simulator interface : https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4198/34637749152_45de5deef5_o.png

1 Like

I don’t understand why people with experience from previous sims expected default aircraft to be like high-fidelity payware. Do you not remember at all what a release of a brand new sim is like? How can you be disappointed in a sim-platform that has everything the community has been wanting for 10 years. Bugs will be fixed, high-fidelity payware airplanes will be released, airport scenery will be released. People who expect the sim to be just like P3D and xp a few days after release need a reality check. This is the very start of a new sim. Don’t start judging it negatively when a fraction of its potential has been shown. Instead imagine what this sim will be like when you get to fly the best study-level airliners ever released for a sim.

The UI is fine imo. It looks modern and is easy to use. The old FSX and P3D ui needed to be changed cause it’s from 2006. It’s great to have a big map where you can see clouds, rain, wind etc. Maybe VATSIM integration for the map will come eventually too. Choosing an airplane is easy, weather is easy, flight planning is actually possible now in the sim itself, and weight and balance is easy. Reflect over the fact you’re just reacting negatively to change, wait a bit until you get used to it, then you’ll probably be happier with it.

8 Likes

I don’t disagree that there should be more options. I prefer the aesthetics of the new UI though. Clicking to zoom in on the old FSX map was a pain

Then it would be closer to Star Treck simulator than Flight sim, would it? :wink:

-eelis-

Summary

This text will be hidden

Since when was teleporting or changing aircraft mid-flight something you could do in real life - either this is a sim or it isn’t!

1 Like

A sim that simulates airplane physics, not real life.