OLED or QLED for MSFS?

Which TV is best for MSFS, OLED or QLED? Is there a problem with latency on any of them?

See here

1 Like

As awesome as OLED is… the burn-in risk is just isn’t worth the picture quality. Especially if you want to keep using the same TV for the next 10 years. Out of those two options, I’d go for QLED.

But I’m a Sony fan, so I would take neither… lol.

1 Like

Oled tech produces incredible pictures. But suffers burn in risk from static elements in the source picture.

I don’t usually spend much time in menu’s and use head tracking from within the cockpit. As such what the monitor see’s should be changing all the time.

However, the quick menu bar issue where Asobo forgot to make it fade out. This would bug me if I ran FS2020 on my LG CX so I have kept this title away from my TV.

1 Like

Topic moved into #self-service:pc-hardware for discussion.

OLED on TVs is awesome. The picture quality is quite stunning. You get the blackest blacks and good brightness, especially with HDR models. With typical TV usage, you don’t really have any static elements that will cause burn in.

I’d be very leary about using OLED on a computer because of that over any long period. The occasional use, sure. But I wouldn’t buy one as a discreet computer monitor. If I’m spending that kind of money, I expect stuff to last a long time. And no matter how careful and how “in the know” you are, burn in will happen. The LTT video a few posts up shows that. You’ll find many other YouTube tech gurus who will have had the same experinece as well.

1 Like

48" LG CX here. Purchased prior to MSFS, just before the pandemic. Used strictly as a desktop monitor, submitted to HEAVY marathon gaming sessions during the quarantine.

4412 hours of uptime according to TV options screen. I autohide the task bar, run the windows dark theme, and either use a dark background or change the background every 2 or 3 weeks depending on a whim. All things which I would do anyway. I have NO burn in. Other than the above steps, I’ve paid absolutely no attention to “babying it”.

3 months ago I even disabled two auto dimming functions in the service menu with a service remote, TPC and GSR.

1 Like

Those steps are literally the steps to “babying it”. Not saying it’s a hassle. But you have been taking the necessary steps that you’ve been doing anyway to keep the monitor’s health in check.

But when you compare it to let’s say, Keep the taskbar visible at all times above every window, use Light theme. Use the exact same background wallpaper the whole time. Then you’ll be at more risk to burn-in the screen compared to doing the same thing on a regular LED monitor.

True, those steps prevent damage.

What I meant is that with respect to content, I have not done anything I would not do with any other display. I watch what I what, for as long as I want, play what I want, I leave static images and walk away, etc. Babying it does not enter my mind at any time, and never did. That’s why they make warranties and extended warranties.

Just saying that in my experience, they are more robust than people think.

I think you’re just naturally take good care of your monitor, regardless of what they’re made of. But that doesn’t mean other people would have the same good habit as you do.

I know I don’t. That’s why I can’t trust myself around OLED.

I’ve lived in third-world countries long enough to know that warranties don’t mean anything to consumers. :rofl: They always have an excuse of “product misuse by the customer, so therefore the warranty is void”.

There are a few mods to hide the quick menu bar.

I have a an OLED LG C1 48" that I use for my dedicated “flight simming” PC and it’s completely awesome. I am not worried about burn-in in this usage scenario. Not sure I would use it as a monitor for a general usage computer.

HDR really shine on OLED displays.

2 Likes

The C1 now has a number of new burn-in prevention options in the newest firmware. Runs flawlessly (and has for some time).

And the fact is also now has Dolby Vision and an updated game mode…no going back!

1 Like

Most of those burn-in prevention doesn’t exactly “prevent” burn-in. They’re actually scanning the entire screen to look for where the pixel degradation happens and deliberately degrade every other pixels until they’re at the same degradation level as the one that is already degraded to begin with.

If I have to take an analogy, say you have a scratch in your car, which is a missing piece of the initial layer. When you buff it up to fix the scratch, you don’t exactly refill the scratch with the same layer that was missing. You’re actually chipping away the layer that’s around the scratch to smooth it out until the scratch is no longer visible. But you don’t exactly prevent or fix the scratch, you’re actually end up with less layer than you begin with when you had the scratch.

OLED is made with organic materials. They already start degrading naturally once they go out of the factory. The burn-in happens because of uneven degradation between one pixels and the other. But even if you don’t use the monitor at all, the components would already be degrading naturally. You can’t really stop the degradation at all.

So when it comes to OLED, the way to justify the purchase and to gain the superior image quality is. Are you willing to pay the cost for a “temporary use” of the screen? Because as soon as it goes out of the factory, the expiry date starts counting, and you have to know that by the end of that expiry date that monitor will no longer perform the exact same way as when you bought it. And when you use those burn-in prevention functions, you would only shifting that expiry date even closer than what it was.

I myself am waiting for the consumer application of microLED technology. Where it’s still the same LCD screen, but the LED backlight is so small that it can be applied to each pixel. Only then we can achieve the same brightness, contrast and colour quality and performance as OLED, but without the pixel degradation drawback.

A lot of non-OLED displays have Dolby Vision and Game Mode, even my Sony Bravia X90F that I use for MSFS also have them. Though I’m not sure why Game Mode would matter in MSFS, it’s not like we’re pushing high refresh and frame rate here.

Neo QLED (mini led qled) is the way to go these days. The contrast is almost as good as OLED and no burning issues and annoying dimming and the brightness and color are even better. OLED will be slowly replaced by new tech in the next 3 years.

Go for OLED all the way, and enjoy the real black and Dolby Vision HDR that only best displayed with OLED screens. Now everything with 4K, 8K or even 16K traditional UHD is nothing.

My only complain with OLED is all white screen may not “white” as expected. But I understand that is a property of organic LED. Just don’t use the whole screen of OLED TV 48" or larger for web browsers, it should be fine!

“Burn-in” risk is interpreted way too much, much more than it really happens. Now it may be just the same or even less frequent than issues of dead pixels happen in any non-OLED monitors.

Life is too short, enjoy your life!

You should look into what what “game mode” on the C1 actually entails. And no - pixel refresh is not the same as the anti-burn settings.

Ask A guy who used both. My TV is a Samsung QN90A 75inch. My Monitor is an 48 inch Gigabyte Aorus FO48 U OLED.

Yes QLED is awesome! Better HDR, higher screen brightness, with no ABL like my oled. However after night flying sessions on both displays OLED wins hands down. In the sky at night it is pitch black. Streetlights and other subtle sources of dim lights, star lit sky etc, in the sim get crushed with the QLED because- let’s face it dimming zones are not perfect- even if the panel is VA. IPS panel with local dimming? forget it- too much bloom.

OTOH, I’d take anything over an IPS panel any day- even with no local dimming.

Nowadays, OLED burn-in is a bit overhyped. There are mitigation tools built in to the display. Do some research. Use them wisely. Use some common sense. Auto hide your taskbar, and your desktop icons. use a darker desktop background.

I have absolutely zero remorse with my OLED panel. I cannot go back to any other display for gaming, although my QN90A tv is a second close.

Let me put it this way: Night and dark scenes in gaming- you are IN there with OLED and not imagining that there is true darkness. Your flight instruments have to be turned down, so you can see better out of the windshield just as you would IRL- You’d have to experience it for yourselves. Just My 0.2.