Once you go VR, you don’t go back?

3090 / Pimax 8KX here. I’ll never fly in 2D.

The pimax has the FOV that the G2 is missing. Unfortunately, even the 3090 can’t send pixels fast enough. I have to have in-game scale set to 60% just to get 30FPS. My steam scale is at 100% which makes the canvas approx 4200x4200 pixels. Pop-out windows like FSKneeboard and LittleNavMap are crystal clear but the glass screens are a little blurry.

I’ll definitely be in line for a 4090 whenever they come out so i can crank the in-game back to 100%.

1 Like

Not every one has the ability of stereoscopic depth perception. I would assume that for those people VR is just a monitor mounted to their eyes with “bad” resolution.

2 Likes

On the other hand I see VR better than I can see my TV, and is saving me on my electric bills.

Really? How do they do in real life? Because it works exactly the same way.

I think the best thing with VR is not having to spend 100.000€ on a home cockpit :slightly_smiling_face:

What we need now, for Quest 2 users at least, is the ability to use our own hands in game instead of the controllers. The technology is already available and it works pretty well.

1 Like

Your stereoscopic vision pretty much ends after a few meters. So the depth is nice to have in the cockpit, but it’s not used when looking at the FS world (except maybe on the flare in a small plane). This is something Flight Simulator could take advantage of for performance gains as well, like doing a single pass render of the outside world instead of drawing the same scene twice.

People say the difference between 2D and VR is the like the difference between looking through a window into the candy shop, and actually being in the candy shop.

It’s more like if you had to wear a welding mask when you enter the candy shop. Then it’s understandable why some people might prefer to hang around outside.

I wanted to love VR, but the G2 was super flakey when it was released, now largely rectified by hardware and software changes. And Flight Simulator is only half finished. So I reverted from the G2 to TrackIR. I’ll try VR again some day, but right now I’m flying with my Electronic Flight Bag on my mobile device and PilotEdge, and I don’t think this is going to work in VR. When I go back to bush flights by pilotage and warbird joyrides, perhaps I’ll jump back into VR.

1 Like

Same. For me, it’s a neat tech demo, and maybe in 5 or 10 years it’ll be really solid but the tools aren’t there to do what I want. I don’t get any “immersion” except for the one single thing of “you can turn your head” – in particular there’s no ability to use the VFR charts and other utilities on ForeFlight on my iPad – something I’d definitely fly with IRL if I get my license – and in return I get constant immersion-breaking fumbling for controls.

That said, there are ways one could improve it:

• Instead of using a GA-style yoke and throttle/switch system and keyboard/mouse, you could use a HOTAS that’s designed so that all controls can be reached by touch without moving your hands. IF you can assign every control onto that, you’re probably in a better place with regards the “fumbling for controls” issue. But it won’t be realistic to GA planes or airliners.
  • There are some add-ons that provide more useful VFR-style charts via a toolbar window in-sim (can’t find the link now but I bookmarked something recently and haven’t tried it yet). Additionally there are some tools that may allow pulling an external window into the VR view and docking it, similarly to the in-sim toolbar windows, which might help if you have an external Windows program that provides a good VFR map.
  • Alas sweatiness is probably inherent.
  • For myself, I have to use my Valve Index without my glasses because they don’t fit, which drops my effective resolution slightly, but noticeably (I have a mild astigmatism). Getting prescription lens inserts would help me with legibility of avionics displays. However if the full resolution isn’t enough, you’re just gonna have to get a higher resolution headset (which has direct effects on performance…)
  • Frame rate tuning is hard. Not gonna lie.

So far I’ve enjoyed playing around with VR but every time I go back to the flat screen it’s a breath of fresh air! A much better experience to be physically free, have sharp imagery, and be able to see my controls and touch and read my EFB tablet.

I hope the VR-lovers enjoy their experience as well, and I hope for all of us that it improves further in the future! You’re early adopters and that’s a hard road. :smiley:

I use both. VR excels at a certain type of flight experience. - dogfights basically.
It’s also pretty good for aerobatics and easy VFR sightseeing.

For the rest it’s multiple monitors and TrackIR all the way.

If you need to look at charts, external info etc. VR is never going to do it for you and I simply can not imagine the point of flying longer routes just looking at the magenta line…seems pointless

2 Likes

I think your post sums up the truth of it. Both have their pros and cons for sure. When I got my Quest 2 at the end of last year and tried it out in the sim I was so blown away by it (when I finally got it working) that I thought there was no going back to a flat screen but as the novelty of VR wore off I soon started using my headset less and less.

One thing I love doing in the sim is seeing all the lovely attention to detail that goes into the various models. Take the MB339 for example. Its great looking at all the fantastic detail in the exterior model both on the ground and in the air. I love doing that in the sim. You don’t get that in VR. I know you can view things outside the cockpit but unless you’ve got the headset resolution cranked up to FPS breaking levels its going to look like viewing it on an old CRT screen strapped to your face.

Having said all that though when VR is working well it can be so breathtakingly immersive that I can totally see why devotees of it love it so much. You can absolutely enjoy playing the sim on the screen and in VR though. Its definitely not one or the other. Its not a case of never going back. You can quite happily go back and forth, or at least I can.

1 Like

BS :wink:

Sure, because everybody has the ability to construct that :eyes::man_shrugging:t2:

Nailing a couple of panels of wood together?

But don’t panic!
PointCtrl only works with DCS, XP10-11, FSX, P3D, FS2, FlyInside … … IL?(not sure, will try) …
but not with FS2020

@ skiptalbot
“Based on such findings, geometrical analysis predicts that we should be able to obtain useful information from stereopsis at very large observation distances. Using a conservative estimate of stereoacuity of about 10 s of arc, we can calculate that the maximum useful range of stereopsis should exceed 1 km
Google is your friend.

1 Like

I use the Reverb G2 with a custom mask, and have a Custom Built PC at 5 GHZ. Strix 3090 OC and I can fly with EVERYTHING in ultra VR at 100% rendering and still get 27-30 FPS pretty steady. I can actually see more detail in VR than on my wide 3440x1440 monitor because things look closer to real life in size and distance. It is not as “sharp” as a monitor for sure, but it feels more real. I can read all my instruments without zooming. Many who had bad VR experiences is because their gear is not top notch and they tried it before the SIM update patch came out, that almost double the FPS. If you can not fly at or close to 30 FPS with everything ultra at 100 rendering, then you did not fully experienced the VR effect. My Track IR which I deeply enjoyed, is now collecting dust. To me, VR is as real as it gets, and for anything keyboard, I use an app called VoiceTrack. I still use my Logitech Radio Panel which sits on top of my Bravo Quadrant to change the radio and NAV frequencies.
For anyone reading this thread, don’t be discouraged, because when someone posts something they like or dislike, will be followed by responses from lots of folks that feel the same way. If you have top of the line equipment and I mean TOP of the line, then go ahead and try it. I can afford any monitor size I want (the benefit of being retired) and still fly VR only.
I wear prescription glasses, so I ordered glasses inserts from Germany and they work awesome. I do not get motion sickness, like some people do.
It is all a matter of preference, so the best thing to do is to try it on a top of the line system (did I emphasized this enough?) . I know in Europe there are some VR shops where you can try different sets. I don’t know of any here in the US.
When I fly Jets at high altitude, it is nice to look at the clouds (what else can you look at?) and you have to sit there for hours staring at the instruments. Once I am at FL I take the headset off for breaks. With the current state of the SIM, I have TC disabled, so I don’t even have to listen to them.

4 Likes

I agree with every one of the OP’s list of VR drawbacks. But I still don’t get nearly as much enjoyment out of 2d as VR. Perhaps when proper multi-monitor support is available. Then I can use TrackIR and not have to keep my eyes on the screen in front of me while looking left or right. It’s nbd for short, quick glances but if I’m trying to look 90 deg left or right (or very far up or down) what I’m looking at is on the screen, but I cant see it clearly because my head isn’t facing the screen.

1 Like

Google becomes your enemy when you cherry pick without understanding the context.

I was speaking from a VR development standpoint, where best practice is to use monoscopic rendering for distant scene objects. The distance at which rendering is reverted from stereo to mono is usually less than 10 m. The difference in having stereo vision becomes insignificant at a certain point, even if it’s theoretically possible to see stereo much further than that, especially with the resolutions we’re dealing with in VR.

But even at 1km, the vast majority of the scene in Flight Simulator is usually farther away than that. The cockpit provides a nice separation between the near and far planes, which is a problem in other games where the transition between stereo and mono often clips the scene.

I am not buying one because that company is just greedy. Why should I have to pay for a subscription after “buying” the headset? Leaving in the US I also have reservations on repairs, parts, warranties, shipping, etc For the time my G2 Reverb is doing fine.

Its my opinion. I prefer non VR. The question was asked I answered.

VR is not the be all end all.

2 Likes

I agree with you @Huggies89. I fly with my G2 every time. Will not go back especially with all the excellent community mods for vr allowing for accessing flight plans etc. Seeing the sun set over the alps in the dc6 is an incredibly relaxing experience in vr. A nice escape from reality haha.

1 Like

For those of you who think VR lacks in ability to control things, I would encourage you to try out the game VTOL VR. This really shows off how all VR simulator games should be controlled (and hopefully will in the future).

1 Like