Once you go VR, you don’t go back?

I don’t know, but it’s sure seem like it since last I checked the frame rate was approximately half of the equivalent 2D resolution lol

Any idea why they deprecated the feature? Looks like it might have been causing crashes so they disabled it? I actually don’t work with the UE4 engine, and the last time I was working with a 3D virtual environment it was with XNA.

Yeah once you’re at cruise it’s kinda silly I’d rather monitor the flight in 2d and be able to use outside apps and such at the same time

Basically my flow is to start setting up the plane in 2d, once I’m ready to taxi I’ll go VR, stay in VR up until cruising altitude, then go 2d, put it back on for descent/approach/landing/taxi/shutdown

Yes, that’s only visual realistic but not flight realistic. So that proves what I said earlier, the difference between flight simmers and flight gamers. :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2D - been there done that (FS9, FSX)
Now VR or I’m not flying:)

2 Likes

If you don’t mind visuals, you wouldn’t be flying MSFS until 2 years from now … so you think you are superior for being a simmer but you are a gamer that is here for visual candy.

And VR is not only about visuals, its about spatial awareness, real head movements, soon real hand movements, etc

You learn where they are very quickly. I can operate any of my peripherals easily without removing my headset. A bit like a blind person does, you adapt.

2 Likes

And fumble.

Are you saying blind folks just fumble??

Does a RL pilot always have to look at the objects he’s manipulating? I can imagine him keeping his eyes on the horizon line while reaching for the trim wheel, the flaps lever, gear lever. Is he fumbling? I think he uses his muscle memory more often than not once he is familiar with his cockpit layout.

1 Like

Have fun! I hope you enjoy your VR experience.

I bought my first VR headset in 2015 and haven’t done much flat screen gaming since.

2 Likes

I heard there is to be an update to VR reaching for controls in MSFS 2020 anyway.

It just happens that I disabled those switches, because it feels more real to use the one I am looking at “inside” the cockpit. As far as throttle, landing gear and flaps, I still use the ones on the Bravo because it is positioned in a way that I can almost reach for the VIRTUAL throttle and my hand falls on the Bravo. I use my logitech Radio Panel with VR also, but just the dial knobs. For all my keyboard commands, like pause, centering screen, cameras, active pause, etc, I use a five dollar app from Steam called VoiceAttack. Talking about immersion, well, I have all I need. My hand movements match what I see in the virtual deck. pretty much.

1 Like

I keep my mouse next to my joystick, and I have been able to make good use of the “modifier” functions within MSFS to map a lot to even my 25 year old Sidewinder so I rarely need the keyboard:

No base button = joystick buttons and hat for basic flight controls
Base button 1 = joystick buttons and hat for camera views, joystick axis for drone cam
Base button 2 = joystick buttons and hat for menus and ATC
Base button 3 = joystick buttons and hat for additional flight controls eg autopilot
Base button 4 =joystick buttons and hat for additional flight controls (not yet fully mapped)

For the record, Steam also has a built-in controller configuration and you can add as many modifiers as you want. This is a very powerful tool, binds possibilities are virtually endless and it also works with non steam games as long as you start your game within steam.

1 Like

Ok, be sure close the door on your way back to 1999.

So, if I (in a different Simm) e.g. do the cold start of the Mi-24 with my PointCtrl, it probably only takes half the time as other people do with the keyboard. Only with the mouse it takes a little longer because I have to turn more my body, but what the heck. xD

Yeah I am in on a pre-order and still waiting on mine - looking forward to when I get them to try out.

1 Like

You only need to place a VR headset on and you can enjoy the resolutions from 1999 :slight_smile: