Once you go VR, you don’t go back?

Sure, but you can still ‘see’ the trim wheel in your vision, even if not direct looking at it. Same as when you’re driving a car, although you’re not looking at the gear lever, you can still see it in your mid peripheral vision.
I dare you to go drive your car with a scuba mask on. Thats VR.

True. Except that I have aligned my peripherals to match their relative cockpit positions (at least for some aircraft), so I can guide my hand to the cockpit instrument I see in my headset, and my hand finds it on my desk. It’s really not that difficult.

tbh, I have not seen a VR game that actually uses Monoscopic Far Field Rendering.
Might well be the reason why you never seen one that did not benefit from it :slight_smile:

Looking at how VR already stresses out the cpu because the render pipeline has to be passed twice, I can well imagine how the performance overhead of passing it three times might cancel out GPU load gains, or worse.

Totally agree, VR for sight-seeing, monitor for flights that rely more on procedures and hands-on controls (trim, flaps etc.) Spotting a grass strip in VR is near impossible until you’re almost on top of it. PAPIs, getting other aircraft in sight and so many other things rely on visual detail. I’ve just bought a 43" Gigabyte monitor and it helps fill the gap to VR.

When helicopters arrive en-mass in the sim, that’ll be another reason to use VR especially for the landings. But I’m at the stage where I can put VR to one side when monitor flying works better.

For me the benefits of VR outweigh the negatives. Having much more situational awareness, looking around when taxiing, better depth perception during landing, making better judgement flying circuits in VFR, etc. I had to upgrade the PC though (went from a 3070 to a 3090) to get decent visuals.

Nowadays I mostly fly the CJ4 in IFR with the Working Title mod. One thing that is missing is a good Electronic Flight Bag. I use a mod for that to see the charts (don’t have a Navigraph account). I would love to see an iPad/Surface like device where you can show all the charts and data. I do planning (Skyvector, Simbrief, Windy, Chartfox) before going into VR and mostly before running the sim. Apart from a Hotas I did purchase a small panel for the autopilot operation (MIAP). That improves the operation in the cockpit significantly.

In VFR I really like the Robin DR400. It’s a bit underpowered, but fun to fly and very well modelled. It’s funny how my preference for certain planes changed when I went VR. Before I used to fly the Caravan a lot (for it’s view) and I hated the Diamond DA62. But now that has changed…

2 Likes

Have you tried the knee pad add on for vr? Use mine for flight plans checklists and whatever else info I need while vr flying.

2 Likes

I use EBAG, but am on the look for better alternatives. So will check that one out! Thanks

Makes sense with most games in close quarters, and objects that clip the transition plane to monoscopic need to be rendered in both stereoscopic and monoscopic. That might actually hurt performance in some cases. But Flight Simulator doesn’t have that problem since the aircraft is well separated from the rest of the world.

after playing mainly sims in vr since 3 years: when coming back to monitor It’s like I’m playing on a smartphone… but I agree, in MSFS2020 the graphics are FAR superiors in 2D… So I play VR 75% of the time (especialy in moutaneous areas) and sometimes switch to monitor, I must admit. :shushing_face:

I use FSKneeboard (pay what you want): GitHub - Christian1984/vfrmap-for-vr: FSKneeboard (formerly known as "VFR Map For VR") adds a helpful ingame panel to your flight simulator which brings several different maps, waypoints and tracks, a charts viewer, and a notepad right into your Flight Simulator cockpit! This is is especially helpful for those of us who like to fly in VR.

1 Like
2 Likes

Hopefully this is not too far from the consumer future. Technology is obviously already here, just a matter of the price and app development of using this tech.
I would love to be able to track real life geometry IRL and have a pass-through into VR to see these items. Would help quite a bit the whole blind fumbling for controls.

In their website they say it’s for consumers, but they don’t say the price of the F-16 cockpit, I guess it’s only for rich people. The Varjo glases are 3.000

The resolution is already there with the latest gen headsets. I running mine around 2900x2900 pixels per screen (near 6K) and have no problem visualizing the cockpit with my Vive Pro 2, and whatever tiny texts I can’t read in default sitting position It is not legible on my 55K TV either (leaning forward or zoom in helps). Immersiveness is much better than 2D since everything is right in front of your face rather than a few feet away.

The only issue is the lowish framerate, but it is very possible to maintain 30 fps in this sim while getting sharp VR images and some motion smoothing artifacts if you have high-end CPU and GPU. This will only get better with newer crops of more powerful CPU/GPU.

1 Like

My short story. (edit: not that short in the end lol)

1- MSFS came out last year, played for a few weeks in 2D, stopped playing for a while
2- VR update came out, bought the G2 with a 3080RTX, I play every single day since.
No I agree it’s not like real life, far from it, but much closer than from 2D.

It may be different for people who actually fly in real life and want to practice on the ground between real life flights. But for me, I only fly in MSFS so I need the VR element or I’m not interested at all. You don’t get the amazement of going in and out of the clouds in 2D even with my 50 inch 4K screen. Sunset and sunrise are 2 things I love in VR as well… you can feel like you’re there 10 times more than 2D. One more thing that people are experiencing is the warm/hot sweaty issues but I never had them personally so I can fly for an hour without any discomfort.

1 Like

Just finished a flight in VR from Honolulu to Maui. WOW is all I can say.
I have flown this route a few times IRL with a Cessna 172 and my experience using a Reverb G2 felt very close to what I remember.
Looking down on the ocean with the whitecaps and the light playing on the scratched windows is about as real as it gets.
I have a 50 inch 4k monitor (TV) but I cant see myself using it for MSFS since getting the G2.
My longest flight so far was close to 4 hours and the G2 was very comfortable the whole time.
I do take it off from time to time during the cruise but I also take breaks when I used to use my monitor.
Cant wait for my next flight.

2 Likes

There are wide FOV headsets, I have a Pimax 8kx, a high resolution and high FOV headset. I don’t need to turn my head to look at the center console when I’m flying. I can see it perfectly through my peripheral vision. Same with racing games…I can see both mirrors just fine without turning my head.
There are a vast number of VR headsets out there all with different specs for each, you cant make broad statements like this when you haven’t even tried them.

Also, hard LOL at the guy gatekeeping above saying “true” simmers fly on the monitor and VR is meant for “gamers” such a cringe thing to say. I have been in the aviation industry for over 15 years and have been playing Flight Sims for just as long but I’m not a “simmer” because the way I play the game is something you don’t approve of. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I was taking about physical hardware, so unless your headset is also invisible, then, you can’t see your physical hardware. Therefore, it is generally harder to use it.

The other day I was flying from Hamburg to Frankfurt in the CRJ, in VR. Weather was fair in Frankfurt, and in a turn during approach I observed how the sunlight slowly moved through the cockpit.

When the light reached the pilots seat, I could have sworn I felt the sun’s heat on my arm! This is the kind of immersion you can get from FS2020 in VR!

I know exactly what you mean. I try and “role play” all my flights as much as possible. Landing after a long flight in a Piper or the modded TBM, I taxi, park and go through the shut down procedures. I swear, when I reach over and open the door to the cockpit I feel a cool breeze coming in… Even when I know it’s not real, my brain tricks my senses into feeling the cool air… This is why I will never go back to 2D.