One of the best IFR training add-ons for MSFS 2020

By “starting” I would mean someone not yet under instruction.

To practice IFR procedure in the Sim, it is necessary to have the right Computer Chair, and enough Cocktails, to make sure you are suitable Dis-orientated.

Any other more constructive advice about IFR training and the sim, would need a Book to cover with any respect to the subject.

3 Likes

Years after my flying days, I decided to go to a truck driving school. Before I went, I bought 18 Wheels of Steel. I had a steering wheel and pedals I used with my racing sims. The other students laughed at me so much. They eventually stopped laughing. That game wasn’t very accurate dynamically but, it helped put me in the mindset to be a very good truck driver. It’s the same with flight sims. Actually, after some time as a real pilot, I found certain aspects of the simulator to be more difficult than the real thing. It has to do with that lack of tactile and sonic feedback.

3 Likes

Yes, RL planes tend to be “fully debugged” before you fly them (yes, that was a little below the belt). - but true.

I find that landing is far more difficult in the sim to “Ace”, especially with a Twisty Joystick - no rudder pedals, and no easy side vision.

What is a lot easier in the sim, is if cease to be ahead of the plane – you can pause the sim and regain control.

BTW: This is what “Active pause” is “meant” to be for – and will be fine, once it has a few “issues” corrected.

1 Like

You dont have to show the use of dme if your plane is not equipped with it. Just saying

I just wish that Asobo had put a “Transponder with DME” in the C152, to contrast with the C172 GPS version.

Its not as if there has never been a DME is a Microsoft Flight Simulator’s Cessna !!!

4 Likes

LOL! The graphics are way better too!

You say that as a joke ? but in fact, in some ways its very true.

The old FSX 2D Panels … while not Photographic, were “perceived” to be far more realistic than the Fancy 3D Graphics, where you have to keep scrolling around to see anything in enough detail.

The the Graphic above, the FSX 2D panels allowed you to see the whole panel “Clearly”, and spend your time scanning realistically, rather than being a a Mouse Fight the whole time to see what you want to see. VR might change that – those that can afford VR will see soon !! (and its not just the cost of the headset-- you will need POWER gaming machines to power them ?? )

MSFS1 – Fond memories …

and don’t get me going on the Darkening panels as you pan up with more sky !!!

I suspect the amount that happens in MSFS is more a simulation a fixed aperture Camera that a human eye !!

That, or its a MSFS rule, that everyone has to wear RB3025 Aviator Metal Sunglasses – even at Night !!

My comment was more focused on your statement of RL aircraft being fully debugged. The graphics in RL aircraft are also superior.

Oh Yeah? Take That! My very first Flight Sim on the Atari 400, “Jumbo Jet Pilot”

1 Like

Not sure what I am meant to “TAKE” ???

I’d have been more impressed if you had posted the Video – so we could have see just how great it was running :woozy_face:

Sorry, I do not understand the purpose of your comment. Are you trying to say I am showing off?

Ok, if we’re going to do this…

2 Likes

At least back then , ATC did not say “Oh” “ENN” “EEE” thousand feet !!!

For what PCs were back then, it was pretty amazing. !!!
At that time even Commercial Flight simulators were “Primative” !!!

Before that, well … it was what it was, they made do with what they could do …

2 Likes

Dude, that was just simple friendly one-upmanship. You posted a shot of an old antiquated sim and I posted a shot of an older one.

yes Kiddo … you posted a screen shot – so I posted the whole video, showing what it looked like when it was running … All good interesting “past memories”

Thank you. I did not know this, and I have been setting up DMEs on IAPs using GPS. This is much better!

Not necessarily, its only good as a procedure trainer with risk of learning yourself bad habits which take time and are difficult to “unlearn” during real flight training.

Loved the Cockpit.

Forgot the fun in flying the old/original FS sims.

Good memories. :blush:

Exactly – issues of “Learning yourself” Incorrectly, as opposed to being taught by a qualified and experienced Flight Instructor.

1 Like