Open Canopies and/or moddable Reno Racers

Lots of us bought the Reno packages mainly to fly these beautiful aircraft in free flight. Something that would make these planes vastly more enjoyable and realistic would be the ability to open the canopies. Startup and taxiing in these planes is nearly always done with the canopy open, so it’s a realism thing first and foremost. But hearing those big Merlins and radials sputter to life, and listening to the rumble as you taxi up to the line is really half the fun too. It would be great for low and slow flights in the T-6 to throw that canopy open for sight seeing purposes as well. It’s a comparatively simple feature, but something that makes the third party warbirds like the Milviz Corsair such a treat to operate.

Oh the joy of loading into that cockpit for the first time followed by the disappointment of seeing that big red handle locked in place with no click spot. What a tease.

I hope these aircraft aren’t forgotten as development attention turns to other issues and new features.

And if there isn’t time to do work like this on these planes, please open them up for third party development if they’re locked down. Mods like the JPLogistics 152 that let you open the doors and windows have vastly improved that plane, but it would be an even bigger score for the T-6 and P-51.

I assume that, except for the ones included in the GOTY edition, this will not happen; for licensing reasons.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. Perhaps the existing assets could be used to make a generic T-6 and P-51 that isn’t tied to a specific real world aircraft. A moddable community version.

2 Likes

I bought the Reno base pack and was really a bit disappointed when i found out the canopies wouldn’t open.
I hope this will be implemented in the near future as i really like to fly the T-6, such a great plane for cruising…

1 Like

Leaning way over to see the ramp guy, but I wish the canopy opened instead of sticking my head through glass.

2 Likes

These jokers sometimes even walk into your running propeller… :rofl: