Open up the weather system WRITE access to 3rd party devs

Well - it looks like it is way over 2 weeks from your post and I still have clear skies in MSFS above my home while IRL it is overcast. Or stuff like winds - atm I’m flying to finland - at the place where I am at FL300 I should have nice jetstream into tail of 110kts of wind. In MSFS it is only 60kts.

Or stuff like - where I live on this time of the year there are literally no thunderstorms. And last week I had thunderstorms over Poland all day long from Cumulus clouds that had like 1000ft of height at most. No rain or so - just lightning strikes (I bet CBs are implified automatically as thunderstorm cells). Double checked it on lightning radars and there was no lighning for the whole day over all Europe that day.

And please dont understand me wrong - I dont want to pay for weather engine - but it looks like that MSFS weather is totally out of sync. And what’s even worse - it is not updating as flight goes so you are flying on a snapshot of weather from when you started.

Weather thingies still need to be addresed, but definitely MS team should be open to 3rd parties programs not only about weather, but also about so many aspect of flying science.

IMHO, like in todays life, there is so mutch information available, so many interesting things to get professional about, that you can only reach to a good level of knowledge on certain topics, every time more specific, you know everytime more about more deep and specific things and you get very skilled on that topic. At the same time you get further from general knowledge, further from other marvelous things around … That way, you just “cant” be skilled about everything, every aspect in life/science, so you can only reach modest level of knowledge, build a good platform to built on and just let it be…

Happy flying / i Mean, happy “reinstalling”, since ive been out for weeks since the Download loop bit me as well…

:slight_smile:

looks like we lost, boys

Don’t think of it as a loss. Think of it as the best default weather engine to date in a flight sim, better than any third party weather addon to date, that will be given a chance to evolve, without outside interference.

1 Like

looks like we lost indeed

I guess it’s now up to Asobo to start implementing the advanced features that so many people use 3rd party apps to provide.

Personally the big one for me is historical/archived weather. If this interests you I suggest adding a vote to this thread.

Well, while it is the best default weather engine to date, it is still far from HiFi’s AS in terms of accuracy. I hope it will improve in time, but my point is that HiFi is on the market for over a decade and known to deliver, while MeteoBlue’s first release is…screwed…

2 Likes

meteoblue is not an addon maker, it’s a weather source

2 Likes

It doesn’t change the outcome. The weather is inaccurate in the current state. I’m ok with that by now since there’s no decent airliner yet, but when there will be I’d like to have actually real weather for flying in VATSIM.

HiFi has not hit a home run every time. Active Sky for XP is marginal at best. They also have no track record with a brand new weather engine like the one in MFS.

Meteoblue is only supplying weather data, they are not the creators of the weather engine in the game, Asobo is.

I would really like to be able to set my weather along my route. Takeoff sunny, land in fog, or land in downpours of rain. This is something I loved in previous simulation

I also want to create custom weather that changes over time by my custom predefined settings. But that’s a different request. :wink:

edit:
This post is asking for what you want:

Although I believe the first post should be simplified to attract more votes, and it could use a better describing title.

I see now that opening the weather to 3rd party dev’s is not planned which is a real shame. Jorg stated in a recent twitch developer live stream that they do not want to “step on anyone’s toes” and want full involvement from everyone. What is further frustrating is that REX has hacked the SDK while HiFi has been standing by waiting for the SDK to allow 3rd party weather and do things properly and with honesty.

The adage that “nice guys finish last” holds true in this case. I am really disappointed in the lack of openness to all 3rd party developers. No problem if you kiss Microsoft’s butt or are one of the “chosen ones.”

Please Jorg, do the right thing and stand by your words - Either shut REX weather down or open the SDK up. Microsoft is standing on HiFi’s toes right now.

3 Likes

Well it’s obvious they are indirectly encouraging non-SDK weather access techniques (3 popular wx add-ons now), so we have already begun doing that as well. We could have done that a long time ago but at least we are on track now that we know we’ll never have MSFS developer support or SDK access. It’s no big deal, we are quite used to having our “toes stepped on” and then some in this very tough industry. But users demand better weather experiences, and we think we can deliver, so we keep at it, despite incredible challenges. As long as our customers keep asking for more, we’ll keep working hard.

-Damian @ HiFi

11 Likes

Thanks Damian, I am glad to see that HiFi has decided to take on the task of bringing improvement to MSFS weather, I am sure that you will do a better job than any other 3rd party developer.

Looking forward to seeing what HiFi develops for MSFS.

Damian is our God, HiFi is our church! :fist:

1 Like

Great to hear!
I can’t wait for Active Sky for MSFS!

2 Likes

I just want to clarify that we understand MS/Asobo have considerations that we are unaware of, and we are not blaming THEM for “stepping on our toes”. We understand it’s a business decision and we have no idea what complexities are involved. My reference to our toes being stepped on in the past seems to have been incorrectly referencing MS/Asobo and that is not the case. Our past has been challenging with lots of forces against us, mostly of competitive nature and it is that which I was referring.

Of course it is true that we are locked out and apparently in the only category of add-on developer that doesn’t get SDK access in this new sim we’ve been developing for over 20 years on, and that’s devastating (in more ways than you might imagine), but they don’t seem to be targeting US for exclusion specifically. It’s just weather add-on developers.

I’ve no ill will towards MS/Asobo, and I think what they’ve done with weather and depiction is incredible. I wish we could participate with SDK and developer support, but that is no longer in the cards, so we will do the only thing we can, develop without that… in effort to survive, keep the bills paid and food on our tables, keep the dream alive, and deliver to our customers and supporters. As others have including REX and Orbx.

3 Likes

I don’t get Asobo’s decision to lock out weather SDK access to developers. Yes Asobo can fix the weather related bugs in MSFS in-house, but allowing developers to create third party addons for weather does more than just provide a long-time favorite weather addon, it creates choice for the consumer and more competition, which is better for us simmers, which is also what Jorg constantly reiterated that this sim was for simmers first.

2 Likes

Not needed as they will get it right soon

2 Likes