Open up the weather system WRITE access to 3rd party devs

Look at the disclaimer at the bottom though

*Even though the REX weather engine is pushing the proper temperatures and winds aloft data through to the simulator, due to core issues of Microsoft Flight Simulator, temperatures and winds aloft are not properly rendered yet. Microsoft & Asobo are aware of this issue. (September 13, 2020)

I really want an Active Sky for MSFS! Please!

7 Likes

Don’t forget to vote at the top of the page.

The current weather system will not change, Meteoblue is a forecast model and will not apply current or historical weather based on real world METAR’s. We need Active Sky for MSFS.

5 Likes

So, in following this product release, I remember a couple of videos talking about weather integration. In particular, there was a lot of talk about this futuristic approach. Contrast that to the videos we saw from MicroSoft about being transparent to the commmunity. I put the question to MicroSoft. Are you going to do what you say, or have you changed your mind? Think about that before you answer; You are either going to repeat a mistake from the past or demonstrate that there is a new day. A new way of doing thing and that the future really is as bright as you say it is. When you think about it, the value of your word, is actually worth more than all of your products put together.

1 Like

REX is coming with something soon …!

1 Like

If you select ‘preset’ for weather and time you can then select your time of day, but also select ‘Live Weather’. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, and that will give you “current” weather, even though the sim time is different. So if it’s actually night & IMC in the real world, you’ll get that weather during the day in the sim, including the temperature and pressure errors.

1 Like

Even if Asobo provide access to a basic, maybe one week only, historical weather system (meteoblue probably have that data stored somewhere), how do you get access to winds, METAR & TAFs so it can be used with the numerous flight planning apps available?

This blind fanboyism is exactly the reason why devs get away with overcharging for their products.

Yes, we should open the weather system to 3rd party devs, but the excellent weather system in MSFS (after the wind issues are fixed) makes everything else pale in comparison, which is why we need to have an extremely critical eye when any new addons, especially weather addons are released.

2 Likes

Ah, sorry yes.
You’re after historical weather from the hours earlier in the same day. Gotcha.

Rex simulations is already working on this so I think is somehow open…

I hope so. Though I have my concerns given previous comments from HiFi.

No one is asking you to buy a third party add-on for enhanced weather. However for those simmers like myself that want the most immersive and realistic experience possible we will happily put in the money to developers that want to bring more features and better weather capability into the simulator. So by saying that in two weeks the weather will be fixed and we don’t need to expand the SDK to 3rd party developers you are really saying hey I like this vanilla game and don’t want to give others the opportunity to make this one the best possible flight simulator that I can play in my mothers basement…

6 Likes

This is absolutely also my opinion.

yes please

Hope not with that not realistic injection of thunderstorm patches :slight_smile:

I constantly fly VFR in sim and use skyvector for planning and checking weather. Unfortunately right now it’s nowhere close to being accurate real time weather. Temperatures are sometimes 20C off, and altimeter can be 100s of feet off. Even if I tune coms in sim to get weather, the temperature doesn’t match what my G1000 says it is!

I’ll take 3rd party weather any day.

2 Likes

They have already made lots of mistakes from the past; where’s the ground reflection when it rains? This was in FSX and FS2k. The buggy weather has been a plagued problem ever since the inception of MS flightsim that could use weather internally, they have NOT fixed it and they don’t seem to be willing to, its funny they brought in Asobo but nothing that I’ve seen looks like Asobo had any input, I have some of their other games that are way better because it hasn’t been touched by Microsoft!

MSFS is what P3D should have been, I’m glad to see cloud shadowing on planes and on the ground; its not as good as P3D IMHO one thing that I liked seeing was the cloud shadowing on cloud and P3D does not have that.

I’m amazed that they would lock out developers from improving things that could provide better immersion including weather; I’ve read that some developers can’t develop due to lack of communication from Microsoft/Asobo and if they keep doing that they’re going to stifle the growth of this simulator because the community CAN and WILL move to another simulator.

I’m sick of seeing 3 different versions of the weather information in my sim! First I see it on the flight loading screen then the ATIS and then on the NEXRAD for the G1000 and you tell me which one is right? NONE of them! None of them match real world METARs in real time or in the past!

1 Like

Well, I did not buy the 40 aircraft models FS2020 version. Therefore I have some bucks left that I like to spend on the things I like in a flight sim. And realistic weather is one of them. If we get it free - thermals, even wave lift - fine. If I have to pay, fine, too.

2 Likes

Nothing against 3rd Party. But before you buy, you should read the disclaimer. :wink:

1 Like