Opening Logbook to allow for imports, edits and exports and users

The Logbook

As an ever troublesome area in the simulator, I suggest it be completely opened to end users for imports, edits and exports, to allow modification of flights, landings, time and aircraft. While also adding new features such as total fuel burned, tail number and call signs.

A big addition would also be the implementation of an import and export feature, giving users the ability to export the log book into third party tracking applications such as Volanta that also record flights, to go along with this the import feature can be used to add flights that might of being recorded in other programs but due to the nature of the Flight Sims logbook, failed to record and enter it into the log book.

This will allow for reduced number of complications that have arisen from the Logbook since the sims launch. Including, deleted flights, failed recording of flights, incorrect data regarding landings and aircraft and time cut from flights.

At the end of flights, the logbook can still be automatically filled out saving users the time of putting in information that is tedious, but also give the option for it not to be automatically recorded, let users fill the whole log book out should they please.

As for parts of the sim that rely on the Logbook, achievements, total flight time counter on the profile page, landing challenges and bush trips. I suggest that the recordings of this data be dependent on the statistics recorded under the pilot profile, found at: Profile > Pilot Profile > TOTAL FLIGHT TIME (SEC), not the look book.

For Bush trips and Landing challenges, flight data can be isolated in the logbook but locked from end user modification. This both, stops any exploits into completing bush trips unfairly but also provides an accurate flight time which is recorded under through the pilot profile, something that cannot be changed in any way. These flights would also be excluded from exports to stop bypass edits in third party software.

Topic open for discussion and feedback, would love some further input on this idea.

You forgot achievements. The logbook is tied to numerous achievements that people could earn without any effort through modification of the logbook. So there would either need to be some extra work done to prevent this, or people would have to agree to disqualify from earning certain achievements.

Honestly though I don’t get why people obsessed with logging their flight info can’t just do it manually using an actual electronic logbook app or just Excel/Sheets

I did mention how this could rely on the other way data is recorded in the sim seen in the pilot profile, the flight time achievements and distance based achievements can all work dependant off of that. The only trouble I see is location data and combing that with distance and time.

Hi Simmers,

I have made a MSFS Logbook Analyzer, that can read the local logbook file and export some of it’s contents to a CSV file.

I am still doing some tests, but it can already export:
. Date/time of the flight
. Aircraft
. Departure and arrival airport (if any)
. Departure and arrival coordinates
. Type of flight
. Path (list of coordinates traveled through)
. Elapsed time

I have made hundreds of tests with my own logbook files, but I would like to start testing with some other people’s files.
If you are interested in providing your logbook file and receiving the CSV back to analyze, you’ll be welcome. Please contact me so we can arrange how we should exchange the files.

I have also made a new forum post with this information, if you want to follow it up there: Logbook Analyzer

Best regards,

Who cares if some people want to cheat (themselves) and enter false data in their Logbook. ?

In theory, that can also happen in Real Life.

I am not aware that there is anything to be gained (in the way of Prizes, or enabled features) by cheating, and editing one’s Log Book, so who cares if some choose to DOCTOR their logbook – they are only cheating themselves, - which they could equally well do with a Logbook APP or their own spreadsheet.

Microsoft I guess

Hi flight simmers,

The online version of the Logbook Exporter is available in a beta version, free of charge, on the following link: https://logbook-maps.rj.r.appspot.com

Please try it and comment below!

Hi All. Sorry for picking up on an old thread. I am looking for a tool to extract MSFS logbook and this one promises to do jut that, however once I point it to my logbook file and click process I don’t receive a link for a CSV file in my inbox. Any suggestions?

Basically I am looking for something to extract my existing logbook and load it into a third part logbook / flight tracker. I am thinking maybe of SimToolKitPro unless anyone can suggest anything more suitable?
All I am after is a way to log flights which can be later filtered by aircraft and I would like to “keep” the flights I already done hance the MSFS logbook extract would be great. I only do GA flights, no airliner flying at all and mostly no flight planning either :slight_smile:

Thank you

Hi Bart ! The MSFS LOGBOOK EXPORTER tool should be what you need. It is capable of reading and exporting your entire logbook to a CSV file, which can be imported into another software (i.e. Volanta, etc…)

I can check the app logs to see if any error has occurred during the process of your export. Can you try one more time sending the file and informing me the date/time of execution as well as the email you informed on the first page ?

Best regards,

Bart, I have found and fixed the bug that was occurring. You can try again, I have already tested with your logbook and was able to get the export.

Best regards,

Hi Lilac,

I just tried again, ID 44799170653382978561. It’s been about 5 minutes, nothing in my inbox yet. I’ll keep on checking