OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

Can anybody give some good settings based on the following system

Ryzen 5900x
Rtx 3090
64gb ram

Reverb g2 geadset

I have tried it but uninstall as I couldn’t really notice a difference it was installed correctly as the api layer was showing in openxr

I have mostly high ultra settings without nis

With an high end system as yours the benefit of the NIS scaler will be quite limited. The NIS scaler shines on systems where the render scales needs to be reduced to get an acceptable frame rate.

3 Likes

Thamks for the reply i was wondering if it was where hardware was towards the High end for this generation, I tried it to see if I could push performance a bit more, still have to lean in sometimes to see text etc, but that’s probably a limitation of my headset.
But was worth trying as people was saying text is clearer etc

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

Kind regards

NIS benefits top-end systems as much as it benefits lower end systems. You have to reduce render scaling on a 3090 to get decent results with a G2. I have my NIS set to 80% render scale and 35% sharpening. You have to go into usercfg.opt and disable all the post processing (just google this, many explanations on how to do it) for the sharpening to look good.

4 Likes

I was getting great results today with NIS 99% 30% sharpening and Texture Resolution LOW. I also drop my Terrain and Object LOD’s to 10 for testing. I find that 100 % full native resolution, no up or down scaling, jumps around less, but you need to drop your game settings to lower levels to keep the FPS up.

I have been following this thread closely and I am grateful to the program . I just notice the followings :1) New Nvidia drive 511.23 dose not work well with the current version of the program, namely. once you update your Nvidia drive to 511.23 , the old stuff such as lower FRS and stutters comes back. 2) after installing the NIS upscalling software, I notice the thirty party software Shift-Z Stats has been interfering the right hand throttle, that is, you have to turn off Shift-Z when you are using throttle . I wonder if it is only me experiencing this issue.

I have this new driver, got it last night. I’m very impressed. It works well, but with my 3070, I have to drop virtually every parameters down to Medium (which is fine) and got rewarded with such clarity.

Currently, OpenXR 100%, NIS 90%, MSFS 100% running with only PreCache on High. G2. 32G RAM.

The end game here is Smoothness and Clarity. Well Done, mbuccchia !!!

Is this VRSS doable via openXr software @mbucchia ?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4957/~/variable-rate-supersampling%3A-improve-image-quality-in-vr

I have plans to investigate VRS support in February-March.

To clarify, VRS is a building block for VRSS, which could provide some sort of fixed foveated rendering where peripheral view would be undersampled. This is technically the opposite of VRSS, which super samples the center, but by applying it to a larger texture can produce the result of VRSS (example 2x larger resolution then use VRS do undersample the periphery would be similar to VRSS with a factor 2).

Thats my understanding so far, but I haven’t had a chance to dig up more. Once I finish DX12 support soon, I will have a platform to experiment with VRS and come up with answers (since DX12 has bultin support for VRS that would work on both AMD and Nvidia cards, otherwise would have to use the NVAPI way, which is Nvidia only and DX11 only it looks like).

2 Likes

Ok, glad to hear. Those features would be kick ■■■ in vr headsets that have small sweetspot allready. There is no point to render full pov, if 70% of it is blur kind a material.

You might have seem that there is already someone doing this for OpenVR games:

But the catch is that it looks like it’s hit and miss:

So it’s also possible that the way the FS2020 rendering is laid out, it just won’t work.

i hope xplane 12 will use openxr

1 Like

I disagree that it definitely benefits all systems , maybe it benefits you, but not me. I run a 3080 and don’t get any benefits from the NIS scaler and the sharpening as they increase shimmer and general blurryness, unless I set it so high that the FPS suffers. I get best FPS/clarity ratio with the tool disabled.

2 Likes

What sharpness do you set at bud, could you dm me your nvidea settings

I totally agree that mileage varies wildly with this sort of thing. That said, reading your comment makes me suspect that you’ve misconfigured something.

unless I set it so high that the FPS suffers

This doesn’t make sense. The time it takes to perform the upscaling/sharpening is negligible compared to the MSFS rendering frametimes. The NIS scaler shouldn’t be capable of degrading performance under any remotely normal circumstances.

don’t get any benefits from the NIS scaler and the sharpening as they increase shimmer and general blurryness

If you don’t update your UserCfg.opt to disable sharpening, you’ll be double sharpening, and it won’t look good. Skimming back in this thread, I see you say you’re already running with it off. Try double checking? MSFS likes to overwrite changes to these values.

If you just don’t like the visual end result, then that’s totally fair, I’m just betting you don’t have it dialed in quite right. I didn’t like it at first either, but then I realized I had to do the UserCfg.opt updates. You also have the option of setting the NIS scaler sharpening slider to 0%. This also produces results that are not at all bad.

I get best FPS/clarity ratio with the tool disabled.

I find that 80% gives very good results. You could set it to 95% or 90% and end up with something that performs better and would have nearly no visually discernible difference from having the tool off, so this part of your comment confuses me.

1 Like

Delete shader cache. MSFS can be very nitpicky about this after sim and driver updates.

Do you mean directX shader cache?

Absolutely the same here, got rid of NIS because I prefer the smooth picture over the increased clarity but also incresed shimmering and jaggy edges. All good now…

Just curious, does the sharpening look any different to you if you set to 1, or 100 or even 0?
Here the effect is always the same :man_shrugging:

Regarding performance: I usually run OXR70/TAA100 and get 40-45 FPS in most areas.
If I set it to OXR100/TA100 as generally recomended for the NIS tool, I can’t go above NIS80 or so without getting worse frames than with my regular settings. Yet at the same time, I have worse image quality, especially with regards to shimmer.

And yes, my “sharpen” under GraphicsVR is definitely off.

I’m not the only one having this experience BTW.