OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

I noticed that the NIS scaler sharpening starts working well above a resolution of roughly 2200x2200 (indicated in the NIS scaler). The lower you go the worse the shimmering becomes.

Join the club, unfortunately i get no advantages from the tool either due to shimmer. This is without steamVR on a G2 though

1 Like

What is the effect of this NIS software when recording the screen with OBS?

Image Sharpening Off is what you want - it is usually like the first option in the manage 3d settings panel.

First try yesterday on a high-end PC.

• TAA100 NIS80 OXR100 : nice but a bit of shimmering in the landscape if the sharpening is pushed too much.
  • TAA60 NIS80 OXR200 : better ! No shimmering even if sharpen at 100%
  • TAA80 NIS80 OXR150 (not the exact values but you get the point) : very good also, I think Iā€™m gonna start from these settings and optimize.

My only certitude so far is that OXR has to be over 100%, this creates a bit of late-minute anti-aliasing that fixes shimmering.

Whatā€™s already been achieved is great, thank you for your work ! Canā€™t wait for whatā€™s next.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to try FSR. Right now the tool is a life saver already doing just sharpening. But FSR in DCS was really amazing. For some reason NIS was not that great to me. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the algorithm or rather the pictures itā€™s being applied to (FS vs DCS).

I have high hopes that the community will like FSR very much :partying_face:

@CptLucky8 did a great job for integration and it does look and feel very nice! I think everyone will have their opinions but thereā€™s a good chance it will overtake NIS in the preferences :slight_smile:

On other good news, we are feature-complete as of last night, which means that now weā€™re going to do a lot of testing and the next step is the release!

20 Likes

In order to enjoy the upcoming new OpenXR NIS upscaling software, Iā€™ll need to have my Nvidia drivers up to date??

Is FSR for MSFS implemented as part of DX12? If not how and when will it be implemented?

Thanks,
Steve

Itā€™s added in the next version of the OpenXR layer (called OpenXR toolkit) due for release soon. It works with both DX11 and DX12 and on any GPU.

2 Likes

Thanks. Is OpevXR toolkit the same as the OpenXR Developer Tools that we use today?

No this is a separate project not owned by Microsoft.

Wow. Do you know how it will be announced and how we get it?

With a GTX 1070 and Oculus Quest 2 Iā€™m currently running

NIS Scaling 100%
Sharpness 50%

Iā€™ve read conflicting info on where to set NIS scaling. Iā€™ve seen mention to keep it at 100 for best clarity.

Iā€™ve been slowly bumping up the other graphical settings with no perceived impact on performance. My framerate seems to be very solid between 40~50 FPS as reported by SteamVR. Compared to how terrible things were out of the box Iā€™m shocked Iā€™ve gotten it here so far.

My GPU is near maxed out and the CPU seems to have plenty left. Any advice is welcome!

Not sure what you mean. I am announcing it lol. It will be available as an add-on OpenXR software just like the NIS one being discussed on this thread.

There will be a full website to explain how to install and use it, and a Discord server to discuss it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the clarification :blush:

With those high in game settings and a GTX 1070 Iā€™m surprised you get such high frame rates. Weird.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on this. Itā€™s really heightened my enjoyment in MSFS VR on my Reverb G2 with my RTX2060.

Looking forward to forthcoming updates and products. Be well.

2 Likes

I was probably reading the debug window wrong. Iā€™ll get back in and check. But I am happy with the results so far. I do have a bit of latency when I turn my head but no black renders or stuttering. But Iā€™m just flying GA and the extra sharpness and detail are worth it.

The G1000 is my main nag in VR. I canā€™t see most of it well unless I put my virtual face about 6 inches from itā€™s virtual render. Itā€™s almost unusable unless you want to simulate a pilot that has broken their glasses or lost contact lenses,