OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

RE: Issue of MSFS2020 remaining running and in the system tray.

I too have experienced this problem, which seems to have started after I updated WMR and OpenXR Tools. If I disable the OpenXR Toolkit, the problem still remains - so I don’t think this is related to the Toolkit.

It seems to occur only after I run a VR session and does not vary depending on if I quit to desktop from the VR session or first return to the 2D view. I generally have to bring up the task manager to terminate the app.

I’ve reinstalled all three of those components (mentioned above) and the behavior remains unchanged. Fortunately, this does not affect gameplay and is easily addressed (at least in my case).

2 Likes

Amazing how fast you found the issue and the solution. Many thanks.
I have tried once the new version and FFR works perfect in Pimax!!

3 Likes

This was actually fixed!

When we first release FFR (in version 1.0.1), it did not work with the Oculus runtime. But if you download the latest version (1.0.3), it works no problem!

4 Likes

After some further testing with my system - G2, 9700k and 2080ti I am getting good performance using the following tweaks and settings in MSFS, as ever YMMV.

I have most traffic set to 50% and also run at the same time as MSFS AIG traffic, Voice attack & FS Realistic.

I don’t know if placebo but FSR seems to be smoother than NIS, using NIS do I need to enable this in NCP?

That’s really odd. By random chance do you have the working title g3000 mod installed with the roads database? I saw in their latest release notes a known issue where the game can stay running for a time in the background after you exit.

Unlikely chance but it sparked my memory of reading the release notes!

I’ve experienced this as well. You may have come across this thread.
After Closing MSFS2020 Task Manager Still Shows Memory Usage - Bug Reports / Miscellaneous - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums
Or this:
Need to use Task Manager to Quit or Shutdown MSFS - Bug Reports / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

This issue is definitely not that as i get the issue, but don’t have the roads database installed. It definely seems VR related but I don’t know if it relates to this toolkit or not.

I definitely seem to still have issues with motion reprojection to working. With display frame timing overly enabled the screen of information is in red and it says ‘depthreprojection’.

Its all pretty much a stuttery mess in the sim. Even the main menu gets down to about 5FPS and becomes a total crawl to navigate.

Is it worth uninstalling and reinstalling the toolkit to see if that makes any difference?

Hello thank you I wiil try but don’t think I can

I need the full “Compositor type” line, this only looks like the last bit of it.

1 Like

It says
compositor type: full* w DepthReproj
CPU/GPU Status: 4+/4+
Warning Error None.

Everything is in red.

5600X
RTX3080

MR is definitely working then (this is what Full* and the 4+/4+ indicate).

Somehow the performance of the app in this configuration is too low to even reach 22.5 FPS.

What does line 1 (app CPU/GPU) and line 3 (post CPU/GPU) say?

It says App Cpu/Gpu: 25.32/27.21ms 19.55Hz

Post Cpu/Gpu 0.45.1.97 88.99Hz

Those figures were fluctuating though.

That is good to know thanks, as I really prefer never using mods with my fligth sims anyway. I will try to tear myself away from a campaign I am currently running in another sim to check this out in MSFS 2020 here in the next day or two. I have already been pretty pleased with the quality and performance I am getting with this sim in my Aero.

I had the Garmin GPS installed and uninstalled it - no change.

I do not think this is related to the OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia & team’s tool). As I still get the problem without that tool installed. Unfortunately, I did three things all around the same time. So, it was either:

1. One of the Windows 11 updates
  2. The update to Windows Mix Reality Portal
  3. The update to OpenXR Developer Tools → Now OpenXR Tools

Key System Components: Windows 11, 3080, G2

Switching subjects: MBucchia & Team - Thank you for your work. I’ve finally been able to enjoy VR the way I envision I could before I stepped into the VR world. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh it seems AMD will officially announce FSR v2.0 later this week … I hope that like FSR v1, it won’t require in-game implementation so we will be able to benefit from it through the post-process magic of the OpenXR Toolkit team ! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

We’re so happy that the community loved Fixed Foveated Rendering, and we’re taking it to the next level.

Some of you might have already seen it, some might not: for Varjo Aero users, the OpenXR Toolkit will soon support Foveated Rendering. The real one, the one with eye tracking.

Here’s our announcement video, with some exclusive footage of it in action:

We can’t wait to release this! But… we also need to keep working on polishing it so you will have the best experience. Expect to be able to use Foveated Rendering in April.

14 Likes

I am so excited for this!!! Thank you man, you are a literal miracle worker.

1 Like

I’m new to this…will this also benefit the AMD RT 5700XT card owners? What about AMD’s upcoming FSR 2.0?
Thanks.

With an AMD card below 6000 your only options right now are NIS and FSR.

Also, I keep hearing FSR 2.0, but until I see an official announcement from AMD and not just some developers that are not affiliated to AMD, I can’t really comment.

4 Likes