Opinions that matter?

Some people are only happy when they are complaining…

3 Likes

“Technically speaking this is version 11 not version 1. In actuality, because of the 14 +/- year hibernation, this should be seen as version 14 possibly version 15.”

Um… no. That’s not how that works…

"So now imagine if your “only” issue is never fixed, what then? I and scores of others are not having “performance” problems at all. But even though I don’t have texture download issues, I care that it gets fixed for you, even if you were the ONLY one with the issue. I would care and I do care. You see, I care about the issue you care about, because I want you to have a wonderful experience.

Why can’t anybody else here think/care like this???"

Because there is no precedence yet with this team (I’m talking about Asobo here) to assume that they WONT fix your issue. I suspect, given your “tech alpha” tag that, perhaps, you were soured by the process … you probably submitted bug requests for the issues you’re having and they werent addressed before release? That’d be fair, except for that fact that I’ve been part of many alpha/beta software tests and they NEVER finish all of the bugs. Its always a tradeoff between what’s good enough for release and what can be handled afterwards. That has NEVER been an indicator, however, in my experience, about whether or not the developers address such issues in a patch after release. They just about always have. And so far, we’re only a couple of weeks in and have a patch that addressed some major issues and a roadmap calling out many more. I find it incredibly unlikely that they will NOT address your issue.

I suppose that is why I dont think the way you do

1 Like

I gotta say I am honestly impressed this thread is even here. I can’t believe that is ok to link to a post on a different forum that isn’t praising their product. Most places this would be against the TOS and would have vanished very quickly. Especially on a coperate ran website.

I kind of figured it would get flagged and removed. Then I looked and I don’t even see a way to flag a post or a thread lol. On my screen I don’t see where it is an option anywhere.

Imagine it is fixed, what then?

An issue gets fixed or doesn’t. Making predictions as to the success of such a big title based on our individual experience is naive.

That’s yet another question, how you just assume I would post problems that are clearly on my end. Could you fly outside of the photogrammetry areas, go to your taskmanager and report the network usage of MSFS, and also make a screenshot of the terrain? In my case it is ca 0.7 MBits/s out of 16MBit available, and countless others have reported the same. Only over photogrammetry MSFS uses my entire download speed, so I suppose it reserves most of the bandwidth for photogrammetry buildings, but doesn’t switch in the rest of the world.

At the same time over unpopulated areas the ground texture looks very crude compared to Ortho4XP, so it could badly need those extra 2,200% internet bandwidth, I think.

To be fair, since you asked… I expected a flight simulator that is complete. This is a VFR flight simulator, with a sprinkling of IFR. A tasting menu, really. It is not implemented to the extent it needs to be implemented to fly IFR on VATSIM, or for use as a learning tool. As it stands now, you can fly an “IFR” scenario by picking it at the main menu, and then ATC and your FMC will have that flight plan and you can get autopilot to follow it. But if anything changes… good luck with that.

No, I wouldn’t expect “study level” and I certainly don’t expect the garmin functionality to be on par with any 3rd party add-ons to any other sim. But it should be on par with the default aircraft with similar avionics in other sims.

I could care less that the scenery is less than perfect. Although, I kind of don’t get why it is as bad as it is (NYC) given that scnery obviously was the absolute top priority for design and development.

I don’t care that weather is not very accurate. ,I don’t even care about the 225/3kts issue.

I don’t care that they had to deliver a patch within 3 weeks of release to even get the installation process to be bearable.

I don’t care that there were a lot of CTD’s… although I do question the value of the alpha/beta programs they ran for the installation issues and CTD’s in the final product.

I don’t care that not every button and switch is modeled, as long as enough are modeled to make it worth flying the aircraft.

I am not a hater, and I seriously doubt my expectations are that out of line. But my opinion as a flight simmer of over 35 years is that this product should not have included the airliners, because airliners and IFR are tightly coupled by their nature and too much IFR is incomplete and too little of the airliners systems are modelled to make it worth your time.

I’d not have been put off at all if they had launched with just VFR and aircraft that are typical in VFR.

But if they set out to make a complete flight simulator and release it as such then they failed.

6 Likes

Since you know so much, please tell us how it works. Are you claiming that there is NO FSX code in MSFS and that MSFS is totally from scratch?

Your experience may be wonderous, but you either don’t know a lot about flight sim history, or you are forgetting the history. This would partly explain why you cannot think like me, but either way you did not comprehend what I meant when I said “think/care”.

Everybody keeps forgetting a little small WORLD Virus called COVID 19. In my opinion they needed the money to continue (Asobo) other words it would have been released in October. I was a Beta tester and have not bought it yet and will not until Oct. the original (possible) release date.

1 Like

I also think there is a disconnect people are having, mostly because they don’t realize the very nature of software development of this complexity and size has changed in the software industry. As someone who has worked in enterprise software for over 25 years, the move to agile development has meant that what people view as ‘incomplete’ software being released, rather then the intentional notion that the release is getting feedback to provide ongoing development.

The key will be if they keep the promise to make this a ongoing platform and provide regular, meaningful fixes. They seem to be serious, and really MS cares that it has content for Game Pass, so comparing raw sales to whatever COD is out or something isn’t important to them. Which IMO is why this even exists.

Lastly, for those that may say ‘well this new way of things may be but I don’t have to think it’s acceptable’, you are entirely correct. I would just say, the other more historical way of making complex software would be Star Citizen, with an insanely long waterfall approach with traditional beta releases. And on top of that, if you follow that kind of model, at the end of the development, the dev team is usually gone or moved to something else. Either that, or find some way to make money to keep going during devllopment (MS sells ‘virtual’ planes for HUNDREDS of actual dollars?) :wink:

Just MO, YMMV.

IF this only affected Asobo then I would give Asobo an excuse. But WE ALL are affected, so I give NO excuse, you can if you want, that is your choice.

There was no announcement saying that ‘MSFS will be released early so that people having to stay home could use the sim sooner, but expect a very unfinished product’.

Full price charged by company means full assessment/judgement rights by consumer.

1 Like

Come on. I mean… really? Seriously? You think any company would choose such a strategy?

There is really no end to the criticism towards MS/Asobo. It is in fact bottomless, endless… Being demanding, ungrateful and unreasonable seems to be the ideal of 2020…

1 Like

Also in enterprise software. Probably why I’m mostly not happy with their customer support/patching frequency and their transparency. Their definition of a MVP (minimum viable product) seems to mean autopilot will only work in some places and in some directions. The fact that the ATC won’t give you vectors for final until you pass the transition(? sorry, noob here) seems like a very easy bug to spot. The fact that mutliple beta testers have said winds weren’t working in some areas and it was deemed not important enough to fix before shipping or putting on the known issues list until 2+ weeks after release is mind boggling. (In fact, I’m not sure what they actually updated today in the Forum version of the known issue list).

Wow, you really have that big a problem with HONESTY? I wonder to what degree you would criticize integrity and transparency. Why would you despise these concepts and practices, especially over a flight sim?

Your response indicates that you love to be deceived and/or it is expected, and its no big deal.

Think!!!

Doesnt matter how much FSX code is in there. This is version 1 of the new sim. Thats how it works.

And I know plenty about flight sim history - I had version 1 from SubLogic on a Commodore 64. Watched Flight Unlimited come and go… have used both Xplane and Prepared. So what? The point is that this is a new team. Perhaps you cling to history too much? There is no precedence with the new Asobo team except for a solid steady delivery of patches (like the announcement today) that seem to fly in the face of your more doom and gloom scenario. Until they have established their track record (which so far looks pretty good), neither of us can say either way whether they will or will not address your issue. So yes, I completely understood your “think/care”, do you understand ours?

Asobo has a history (haven’t had personal experience) with other games don’t they?

I must have missed that part in the Discovery Series videos, press releases and the Seattle Q&A sessions from 2019.

There is no way I could understand your positions or concerns because I don’t make excuses for blatant blunders.

Lol. You’re adorable.

HA ! told you…

What we expect is you don’t break things like sensitivity controller settings with your patches! If we can’t use our controllers what good is the game! FIX IT NOW!!!

1 Like