[Optimum Performance Settings] For all Oculus CV1 Owners

Thanks bud, good tips! Now i only wish i could actually read rhe gauges. Very grainy…as always with cv1 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks for the tips. Can definitely back the #1 up. Haven’t tried #2 yet. Did you make visual comparisons between 100%/100% MSFS/Oculus resolution and 50%/200%? I’m just wondering how much of the details are lost in the process.

Also the latest Oculus Tray Tool, 0.86.6.0 or later, can set the ASW to 30FPS and Super Sampling to 2.0, so you don’t have to enter things in an CLI.

1 Like

Did you verify headroom with the Oculus performance overlay? I applied both of these tweaks, and left the settings graphical settings more or less stock (medium/low for most things) and flying around DC I get something like -100% headroom with a 1080Ti and 7700k (which in theory should be a little better than what you’re running). Stuff far away looks fine, but the cockpit jitters around like mad because ASW can’t keep up. The only way I can get non-negative performance headroom is to lower EVERYTHING to low and and set render scale to 30%, and even then I can barely hold any performance headroom above 0%. It does seem to get rid of the cockpit jitter (as I would expect). Not sure what’s going on–I’m able to run the game a 4k (80% render resolution) with most settings high at 30-50fps depending on where I am, which is roughly what I’d expect for my hardware setup.

I’m using a CV1 with the latest PTC, 457.30 drivers, 1909 Windows 10. I’m running the windows store version, so Steam VR isn’t a factor. I’m using OTT to set supersampling and ASW, and I verfied using the performance overlay that I was locked to 30fps.

That’s awesome, I have marked this as a solution so others can see the easier way to do it, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I was using the GPU usage shown in MSI Afterburner. By 30% headroom I meant that my GPU was mostly sitting at 70% utilisation although this wasn’t in a ‘heavy’ area. The Oculus performance overlay usually says something crazy like -150% headroom with these settings, I believe it’s because it is set to measure how far below/above 90fps you are rather than how much of your GPU you are actually using.

I believe the jittery cockpit is a bug with ASW and how it is interacting with OpenXR, I can get rid of the jitter by locking the game to 30fps and turning off ASW but it isn’t very playable like this (for obvious reasons) but frame-timing is a perfectly flat 33.2ms constantly. If I keep the same settings and just switch ASW back on the frame timings start jumping all over the place and the jitter re-appears. There is a thread about it over here, unfortunately it seems like something Oculus or Asobo must fix.

Many thanks @AaronEC and @CptLucky8. Your solutions work brilliantly.

I have automated the process as follows …

Go to the C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics folder and create a desktop shortcut to “OculusDebugToolCLI.exe”

Windows10 will probably prompt you to save it to the desktop.

Open the shortcut properties and add " -f Commands.txt " after the text in the target field

Create a text file named “Commands.txt” on the desktop and enter the following …
(leave out the “exit” if you want the window to stay open and allow you to check if it worked.)

Insert the following into the text file…

server:asw.clock30
service set-pixels-per-display-pixel-override 2
exit

Save it, then copy the file to the Oculus Debug folder (where the OculusDebugToolCLI.exe is)

Double click the shortcut you created to activate ASW30 and Pixel Override 2.0.

Load up FS2020 and enjoy greater clarity and smoothness.

Don’t forget to set your render scaling to 50% in the graphics settings while in VR mode.

6 Likes

Thx for the tips. I suggest you try out also without anti aliasing (no TAA etc) and render scaling 100% + oculus pixel override 1.5 or 2
I guess the sweet spot would be around 0.7 TAA and 1.4 pixel override while keeping most options on Low except resolution Ultra
Also have a look at the guide there for ideas of impact of each feature: VR Bang-For-Buck Performance Guide

1 Like

THIS! Thank you for these tips, they have worked amazingly well with my Rift CV1, RTX3090, i7-6700k, 32gb ram. With this I am able to get all settings to medium or higher (several of them on Ultra), looks and runs amazing. Thank you!!

1 Like

And would these instructions apply also to an Oculus Rift s?

1 Like

On the Rift CV1 I can’t beat the tearing of the edges of the glass and other vertical parts of the cockpit when moving the head, as happens when the vertical sync is turned off.

This works great. Now is there also a way to add “use FOV Stencil” to off … to your list?

1 Like

I dont seem to notice any difference when changing the ss. Is there some “apply” button or a specific flow to use it?

Well, I have been at this for 7 hours and I see no change in anything. I have read, read and read some more. Made change after change to everything I can. nVidia Control Panel - CHECK. Did everything above - CHECK! Back dated drivers - CHECK! Uninstalled OCULUS - CHECK! I’m so damned frustrated right now I could blow a fuse. I run VR in DCS flawlessly. Why should we, as consumers be forced to rip apart our systems so MS can make some money. I see nothing else on this forum that I have not tried.
System Specs:
Power Supply: Corsair RM850X
MB: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
DUAL 2GB NVMe Drives. One in TURBO M.2 slot.
CPU: Intel i9-9900KF 3.60 ( I overclock MSFS2020 to 4.8 when possible.)
RAM: 32GB Corsair RGB RAM (No O/C of RAM)
Windows 10 64
GRAPHICS: nVidia GeFORCE RTX 2080 TI
Res: 2560X1040 (144Hx)
Dual DELL S2716DG Monitors.
Onboard Audio.
Oculus RIFT
All drivers up to date.

I am confused about this comment

There are render scaling settings in OpenXR and in MSFS2020 - which are you referring to and what is the recommended value in the OpenXR tool?
Also - wrt tools
Oculus Tray Tool has a Super Sampling setting - is that the same as Pixel Override in the Oculus Debug Tool?
Finally - I have tried to enable the HUD (Quest2 Link mode) using the Debug Tool but it doesn’t show - do I need to hit F11 or some other key?

Anyone know how to get OTT to work with MSFS. I cannot add MSFS to a profile as it will not accept the FLIGHTSIMULATOR.EXE in the C:\Users"me"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe. How do I get OTT to work? HELP!!!

1 Like

I avoid the stencil by enabling the beta 24 via the oculus home setup window.

You could run the oculus cli tool and type help. It might have the stencil command which you can add to the commands.txt file.

I am referring to the ingame resolution slider. You set the FS2020 resolution to 50 and then have the oculus drivers supersample it 200%

re Quest2: Sorry, I have the CV1. I am not familiar with how the Quest2 works. Perhaps someone else can chip in with a suggestion.

re OpenXR: I just enable my headset and run the OculusDebugToolCLI.exe shortcut as explained above.

I don’t use the OTT or the debug tool (I think they just interact with the OVR server in the same way as the CLI tool does).

I’m not sure whether the OpenXR app has a direct effect with the CV1. In any case, I don’t use it (or anything else), as the “Commands.txt” approach explained a few posts back achieves what I need.

After further tests on my rig, I find that server:asw.clock30 with in sim of res 80 and Pixel Override 1.5 produces smoother results and less horizontal and vertical line “jaggies” (light poles at airports, cockpit instrument frames etc) and no discernable reduction in cockpit clarity compared to an override of 2.0.

Ryzen 3950x
2080ti nVidia 446.14
32GB

I get around this issue for now by setting the global settings for MSFS and then having specific profiles for other games/sims

Thats what I do also