Option to Delay Patching / Mandatory Updates

It’s not a 95GB update! You just have 95GB left on your hard drive.

Somebody is obviously math-challenged. I am now at 21Gb of 7.5 and downloading file 126/172 currently at 719%.

I have 700 plus GB left on my hard drive. It is 95 GB. is 7GB in the MS store but then in the game it has to download 95 GB

You’re some laugh so you are. I bet the long winter evenings just fly by in your house.

not for me.

There was a 350-ish MB update in Steam, then around 7GB in game, and a couple of small packages in the content manager.

1 Like

Stop forcing updates on us. Updates continue to break base sim functionality, cause CTDs and break mods which are essential for many of the broken planes you released.

Let me decide for myself when the right time to update is. Disable live services if need be for older versions.

1 Like

Thanks. Something wrong with my install then.

have you clicked any sort of ‘verify game files’ option in your store of choice? If you do this in steam, it can only verify the files of the launcher, and then all core content needs to be redownloaded. Not sure if the MS store has a similar option.

So it seems it downloads and installs the update in the MS store and then when the game is started it wants to download the entire game again I have the deluxe version. What a crock of ■■■■■

As a programmer you don’t want people to run different versions. You want your knowledge base always on the same level. This is necessary for applications of this size in order to maintain (and further develop) them.
Just imagine people reporting bugs, that are already fixed in an update, but they don’t know because they didn’t update. It would be a huge mess.

4 Likes

Thanks. I totally get that. Would just be a nice option to schedule it in the next 24 hours

Being a game with live services it would not be cost-effective or sensible to have everybody running whichever version they liked. These patches rely on not only base game updates but server updates as well. You can’t run one without the other.

2 Likes

it’s not downloading the whole game again. From the store you get the update to the launcher. After you run the sim, it will look for updates. The update was around 7GB, not the whole program.

1 Like

If the game is trying to download the whole game again on the pre-menu download screen, check that the folder path still points towards where you installed the sim.

If it is pointing somewhere else for some reason that may be the cause of it. As others have said the total download should be no more than 8Gb including the in-game download and out of game download on Steam/Windows Store.

That is my issue I think. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed. OK now I think. Will see on the next update. Thanks

1 Like

I wish they can give the option to run the downloading/updating outside the game so that my laptop doesn’t need to render like crazy and making noises for nothing during the downloading of the content…

Please can we have an option to skip / defer installing an update.

There are times when we don’t want to install an update on opening the sim. Especially if we’d like to determine if an update is compatible with community or other add-ons. Once we’ve opened the sim it’s too late and we are now trapped with an update we may not wish to install at that time.

Adding my voice to the choir, such a feature would be a plus. A few of my flights were “cancelled” by a massive update. I don’t mind updates, as they enhance the product and correct problems. I also realize that nobody is hurt in this, I can always do something else. But it’s annoying to have your plans borked by an update that takes hours at a time. I personally don’t use the social features, flying qith a slightly out of date simulator is mostly a non-problem for me. Having the option to postpone the update to at least the night, or in the next few days would be a welcome option.

I could not agree more. I live in the countryside and have a relatively slow Internet connection at a maximum speed of 10Mbps. So far in three days I have managed to download only 30% of the upgrade at an average speed of less than 1Mbps from the servers. I deliberately bought the full fat disc version of the Sim, in the hope that I could still use it successfully with my slow Internet connection. It never occurred to me that upgrades would be provided in such an inconvenient manner. I own the full version of the software, but due to the nature of the upgrade system I am denied the use of my program at the time and choosing of Microsoft, whenever it suits them to issue an upgrade. In addition by forcing all users to update together this obviously puts a strain on the servers and causes slower download speeds. What a stupid system, obviously designed for the benefit and convenience of Microsoft and not their customers. I can appreciate that it would be difficult to have some customers using very outdated versions, but surely there could be a compromise where a period of time is allocated for updates to take place, thus relieving the load on servers and customers. I love this simulation, but in many respects it seems that the process of installing, updating and configuring needs urgent attention and shows a lack of customer concern and appreciation.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. Just like with W10, the user should be given the option to schedule the update in a reasonable time vs. it being forced. Let’s say after 10 days the update becomes forced upon launch. This is more of an issue given the massive size of these updates.

The other option is a warning screen saying an update will come in X days then a countdown until it’s forced.

A little flexibility and planning from MS would go a long way.

And wouldn’t MS like to stagger these update a little to take the load off their servers? There appear to be some big bottlenecks at the server end.