Option to remove title bar from pop-outs

It should be possible to remove the title bar from any popped out instrument panel window. For those putting pop-outs on separate screens in full-screen mode (for example, G1000 PFD / MFD on a touch-screen) having the title bar visible is annoying and immersion breaking.

One way of implementing this is similar to what FSX did with undocked windows - they respect the full-screen / windowed mode of the sim. When in windowed mode, undocked windows have their title bar. When full-screen, they do not. The behaviour should not be to full-screen any undocked window on the display it is on when ALT+ENTER is pressed, that should only happen to outside view windows as it does now. Undocked windows would remain the same size and at the same position but the title bar would be removed.

When I pop out the GNS530 instrument, I position it onto my RealSimGear GNS530 bezelā€™s screen and then press ā€œAlt-Enterā€ to get rid of the title bar and make the GNS530 window full screen on the bezel. Just make sure the pop out window is selected as the active window by clicking on it with your mouse before pressing Alt-Enter.

1 Like

Interesting. I will give that a try. I do use the MSFS pop out panel manager software to automate this process, though, so even if that works it might not work for me.

So, that works (and thanks for pointing it out!) but it still has the same problem with aspect ratio, in that it squashes the image horizontally as if the title bar were still there and the image was therefore smaller vertically than it is, when in fact itā€™s a perfect 16:9. This is obviously a bug.

FWIW, Iā€™ll share how I fixed this and got around the aspect ratio problemā€¦

Bear in mind that Iā€™m using MSFS Pop Out Panel Manager to handle my pop-outs. This puts the pop-out windows back to the same location every time. So, I set it up to pop out the G1000 PFD and MFD, placed these on my monitors not in full-screen mode, then expanded the windows to completely fill the screen space but not maximise them. This is important. This leaves me with the title bar visible, of course.

Before all this, I had set up my multiple displays in Windows so that the two monitors being used for the G1000 were positioned either side of another, bigger screen. This allowed me to then drag their monitor position down from the top of the middle screen, so that the top of the side screens begins below the top of the middle monitor. This creates ā€˜virtualā€™ screen space that you canā€™t see, but you can put a window into.

So, having gotten the PFD/MFD expanded across the monitor (but with the title bar visible) I saved the profile in MSFS POPM, then hand-edited the JSON file that contains the profiles and reduced the top-left Y coordinate until the title bar was completely off the screen in that ā€˜virtualā€™ screen space. Then I increased the window height to compensate. This puts the non-client area of the window maximised across the monitor with the title bar invisible at the top, but because the title bar is still being drawn (just off-screen) the aspect ratio is correctly set as 16:9 and you get a full display.

Goes without saying that we shouldnā€™t have to do these sorts of hacks, of course!

This is more a limitation of default Windows display characteristics than the sim. The good news is theyā€™re both Microsoft so a no hack solution is probable at some time in the future.