Orbx PAC 750 XSTOL

She does off the cuff reviews, basically trying the aircraft out for the first time like most simmers would. I like the format. If you want more indepth stuff you should look for Into the Blue Simulations. He hasn’t reviewed the PAC 750 yet, unfortunately.

8 Likes

I watch most her videos, even though I haven’t seen a single one that did not irritate me.

She basically reads out the Wikipedia entry for a plane at the start, but doesn’t bother to do any further prep or reading of any manuals about the aeroplane she’s looking at. The rest of the video then consists of her fumbling around.

At best you can call her videos “a look” - she has a look at things. Narrated moving pictures, slightly better than screenshots.

Certainly wouldn’t base any purchase decisions on them, that’s for sure.

6 Likes

I’m glad they fixed the trim indication. That had me scratching my head for a few minutes.

I actually like her style and her videos. At least she does something constructive and goes out of her way to inform and comment. You?

7 Likes

Wait wait wait, it’s perfectly fine to have reasonable comments and opinions about someone, or something someone does. I don’t have to be a YouTuber myself to have an opinion about a YouTuber.

She makes videos. Great. Not everyone likes them. That’s ok too.

Anyway, back to the plane, before the mods feel obliged to step in :wink:

3 Likes

Looks very similar in parts to the 40-day Perth to Perth journey I’ve planned with the BN Islander. Did you see there is a decent Horn Island download on flightsim.to?

@cdsolo yep, already got it :wink:
Actually I’ve downloaded add ons for more than half of the airports I’ve planned to stop at :+1:

1 Like

Anyone have issues with autopilot, I set the altitude , say 9000 feet on that little gauge, and the aircraft, keeps climbing, or descends below that number.

Not sure if its a bug, or conflict with another aircraft or something on my end?

Same for me, very strange ap behavior that comes and goes.

1 Like

In the change log it states Autopilot logic has been reworked. I would actually say that altitude gauge works only as an alert and doesn’t actually control altitude hold. I just set the VM+/- then hit the ALT button when I get to the desired altitude. However not sure if this is how it actually works IRL.

This might be a stupid question, but, is this aircraft suitable for cold climates with short snow packed airstrips?

I haven’t bought it yet, but very tempted.

Another to recommend AvAngel btw, her reviews are great.

1 Like

Good question. I’ve haven’t seen any references of the real one in extreme cold climates, and I don’t recall any advanced deicing features. Short runways are no problem. AvAngel actually posted that video the same day the update was released so some of her complaints were already addressed. Overall, I think it’s a good buy, and it looks as they will just keep improving it. For me it’s a blend of the PC-6 and Caravan/Kodiak. With the low wings it’s more maneuverable than the Caravan/Kodiak which are more bus like in their flight characteristics.

EDIT: I already have the PMS GTN750 so take that into account if you purchase. The plane uses the default NAV with two more options for GTN750s for those who have it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the de-icing system in the aircraft as well.

I think I will likely pick it up anyway, it looks great and has got really good reviews.

You know I almost … bought the TDS GTNxi, then I read about the twice yearly AIRAC updates… shame as it looks so good.

I’m assuming for your casual simmer, PMS is the way to go then! (which will fit this aircraft).

PMS has a free version if you want to try but it’s limited in features. I’m still unsure if the TDS or PMS is better as I have only used the latter.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!

No problem. Please give this thread your feedback if you pick it up. Oh and here is the link to the user guide, if you want to read before pulling the trigger.

Orbx P-750 XSTOL User Guide (storage.googleapis.com)

1 Like

It isn’t certified to fly in ice conditions read here. P-750 XSTOL, PAC Is Back

1 Like

Thanks.
Yeah, I didn’t think so. It didn’t look fitted for cold weather.

1 Like

Gave this bird another try today since they updated it and since my kodi is in the shop with a broken spad.next throttle.
With the updates including PMS50 integration, I like it much better, it is growing on me.

3 Likes

Yeah, she isn’t too bad. Have you tried a 15-degree full flaps beta(idle) decent yet?