Over sensitive Trim

I have mapped trim to a rocker on my T16000, it always worked fine.

but since the 40gb update disaster it appears that trim has become over sensitive, a simple keypress will skyrocket the plane or plummet it to earth.

seems almost like in the old PCs where you could set manually the repeat rate of a single keypress.

has anyone noticed anything similar?

2 Likes

Trim control is improved for me in the update.

I donā€™t use a trim wheel, I use a hat switch (military style), and itā€™s true that a single click seems to have more effect now. So if I hold the switch then it does tend to ā€œover-trimā€ but if I remember to go one click at a time itā€™s easier to get the plane trimmed how I want and Iā€™m less likely to ā€œlose trackā€ of how much Iā€™ve trimmed and have to inspect the trim wheel in the cockpit visually.

2 Likes

I agree, overly sensitive now. Makes it very hard and sometimes impossible to trim for level flight. Not precise enough, more like a bull in a china shop.

Way over sensitive now. One click on the the 152 or 172 and the nose moves wildly. There should be a setting to ā€˜increse trim slowlyā€™ or maybe revert it back to a more mild speed.

was just about to post thisā€¦ This sim > game is now fully XBOXIFIED

Illogically blaming the console bogeyman as usual.

You have a problem trimming the plane to fly level now and you assume itā€™s because this is what Xbox users want somehow? Why would Xbox players not want to be able to trim their planes properly just as much as anyone else? Think critically.

Perhaps thereā€™s an issue (not everyone agrees with you about the trim change). But just going ā€œXBOX RABBLE RABBLEā€ isnā€™t constructive.

4 Likes

of course is due to the console bogeyman to make it easier with the pad buttons.

xbox suxxx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well before SU 5 it was ok. Not to mention the new controls Legacy / Locked etcā€¦ what am i supposed to think?

How would an imprecise trim make it easier? Makes no sense.

How would making it more sensitive help people using binary inputs like gamepad buttons? If youā€™re just joking around now it doesnā€™t help anybody find a solution.

Yep, same here using a trim wheel. Very sensitive and does not take the indicator to full up or down. Recalibrated and played with settings but no joy.

well why is a small adjustment so dramatic now? We dont know the logic behind the button presses, but it was not like this before. It is hyper sensitive now. A small tap is like an old 10 second hold.

yep, tried the same with the wheel on the hotas, didnā€™t work as well.
It worked fine until now.

so far, no solutions or workarounds.

Trying now with default planes, its almost impossible to trim level.

1 Like

Same here, pretty much impossible to trim the 152. One click on the trim up or down makes the nose move way too much and even starts off with a 500ft/min climb or descent.

1 Like

I have my elevator trim bound on my honeycomb alpha.

Tbh Iā€™m liking it a lot more in this update. Before it was always too little or too much, but now a single click gives just enough adjustment.

That being said, I tested this with the just flight turbo arrow iv (which has minor bugs after SU5 but still mostly flyable). Ymmv for other planes.

1 Like

Yes, noticed in the 172 during first excursion post SU5.

Related question: is there a single command for resetting all trim simultaneously? I havenā€™t noticed one among the unmapped commands in the default keyboard, but maybe I donā€™t recognize it.

I donā€™t believe any ā€œreset all trimā€ control input exists. No such thing exists in real aircraft, as far as I am aware.

I remember back circa the FS9 days there was a ā€œgaugeā€ you could install which would simply auto-adjust trim to the planeā€™s current attitude with a key combination. Perhaps eventually something like that could be developed as an aide for FS2020 as well, and also incorporate a ā€œreset trim.ā€

no need to overengineer a simple problem.

all we need is to fix this oversensitive trim that is increasing too much for each keypress.
as it has been working for a year before joypads in couch entered.

no helpers or AIs doing stuff or key combinations or other complications.
a simple trim. a working one.

one of the basics of flying. trim.

I like the new trim, thanks, and I donā€™t think gamepads have anything to do with why it was changed. A lot of people were already flying on PC with gamepads, you know.

I think the best solution would simply be to have trim sensitivity adjustable in the controls settings so people can set it the way that best suits them. Being able to set sensitivity per aircraft would perhaps be ideal, but is probably asking too much.

And while I would be unlikely to use an ā€œauto-trimā€ add-on myself, I wouldnā€™t begrudge the option existing for other people, just like I donā€™t insist on maximum flight model realism being the sole, permanently locked option in the sim. People are allowed to enjoy the game they paid for in their free time in different ways from me. I donā€™t know why people would want to use the already-existing options to have the AI do the whole flight for you, but if someone does, itā€™s no skin off my back.