"Overrun of a stack-based buffer..." What?

I’m on a clean install of Windows from last Sunday. A clean install of the sim on Tuesday. All day yesterday I was removing usb devices left and right. I even made a note of all the different usb scenarios i could think of. With only the keyboard and mouse there are no changes and I get the error in the Event log :frowning:

1 Like

One thing someone else did which is worth trying was to get the £1 Xbox deal on another account and the install that and see if that works. If it does it could be corrupted cloud data, though I’d expect such to crash consistently, yours is all over the place.

Might try the DRam check first?

I’ve done all that we usually do when we release our own software…to no avail. Zero issues with disk/memory/gpu/cpu/etc. Event logs are full of just errors with the typical useless MS error codes. It’ll launch about 1 out of 4 times but i can’t finish a flight

Nothing unusual hardware at all, like mine just ordinary CPU, graphics card, ram , ssd, HDd ? Standard box with more ram than usual and a Gfx card.

No heat ? Could try with the case sides off ?

I’m embarrased to say I’ve been too lazy to put my cover back on after getting a new motherboard in April lol

1 Like

The question about USB connections should be “Do you have any USB devices connected to a USB Bus? If so, is it a powered Bus?”.

The best USB connection points are the ones on the back of the motherboard. These will automatically be powered at 5V. A powered USB Bus connector is the next best thing, but even those can cause failures like this. An unpowered USB Bus is the worst connection you can have and absolutely cause issues like this. Even the USB connectors on the front of the computer case are typically connected to the motherboard through a USB Bus, and that Bus is not always powered, especially on the cheaper (most?) cases.

With that in mind, please make sure your controllers are connected to the back of the motherboard. If this is already the case, we can move on to the next debugging steps.

The question about not handling hardware device disconnections properly usually comes down to actually the device drivers on the motherboard, there’s not much the software can do about it.

He’s tried it with the bare minimum without a PS2 port

I do have a powered hub. If i remove it and only use 4 devices only with the pc connection nothing chagnes :frowning:

1 Like

I must say the help is greatly appreciated. All I want is to play what i paid for :slight_smile:

So thanks for being helpful

1 Like

Do you have the latest BIOS and latest device drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer?

No problem. Might be worth trying the £1 idea. Bit lost otherwise than wait for updates :frowning:

1 Like

Aboslutely. MSI gaming board. All drivers (latest) installed as well as their apps

1 Like

Try something like this USBLogView - Records the details of any USB device that is plugged or unplugged into your system like dmesg in Linux ?

1 Like

Ha!, I’m just about to bring a similar system online :slight_smile:

I just built a Z590 MSI Wifi Pro/i7-11700K/64 GB system, but I have yet to load MSFS on it. I’m currently using an MSI Gaming 5/i7-4790K/16 GB system. It’s working well. Haven’t had any CTD’s as of yet with SU5.

I’m at a loss at the moment to go further than that. I’d definitely look at getting the powered bus out of the loop first if you can. Maybe it’s your keyboard?

C0000005 is memory corruption. Perhaps could request a log like on XPlane ?

1 Like

They had me do that way way back. That’s a good idea…I’ll get a ticket started and ask them for their tool to get the dumps.

1 Like

I think it always crashes but it’s wildly random, sometimes he gets airborne, sometimes it barely starts.

check temperatures, ppl do get ctd if temps get into the 80ties.

1 Like

Here’s the thread @wcoesel is talking about, yes, check your temperatures.