P51 bad flight modeling

Not enough rudder to keep it straight down the runway or maybe there is just too much lag in rudder response…… Retract flaps and plane goes up, it should settle. Just a herky jerky aircraft, very hard to fly it smooth.

Not enough rudder to keep it on the runway at full power means Asobo did a good job, you can’t keep the real one on the runway either at full power, too much torque, slipstream and P-factor.

13 Likes

Use rudder trim and not full throttle. This is how it is in the real world.

As it should be.

7 Likes

Odd though, if I take off with no flaps, no problem.

Maybe the flight modeling issue is in the flaps

No airplane I know of instantly goes up when you retract flaps. This one does. And with flaps I can’t control rudder direction. But without flaps no problem.

Well, at full power no way you would be able to keep it on the runway at low speed, just not possible. If you are able to keep it on the centerline during a static take-off at full power, then something is wrong, flaps or not.

2 Likes

The OP is correct. The flight model is really messed up. Trim is just terrible in this plane and it doesn’t matter whether you put the throttle to the wall or gradually move it forward on takeoff. It is very hard to control on takeoff. It tends to jerk left when the wheels start losing their grasp on the runway. Trim and all…The plane has some real FM issues. I have the Corsair and it has similar issues.
I have no doubt that it will be addressed in the next few patches.

2 Likes

I didn’t mention above, but I also thought the trim was very touchy and difficult

The P51 and the Corsair are both taildraggers with powerful engines, creating a lot of torque, slipstream, P-factor and gyroscopic precession when the nose comes down during take-off. That both are hard to control and pull sharp to the left is nothing strange.

2 Likes

It is not the torque and power. It is a flight modeling issue.

Here is 40” manifold and 3,000rpm for take off, no control of yaw at all.

Yet if I use no flaps, I have control of yaw at full power.

1 Like

Take a look here. Make sure to bring tail up to increase rudder authority.

2 Likes

That sudden yaw to the left when the airspeed comes alive gives me flashbacks to the early days of the FI Spitfire and Milviz Corsair. I haven’t played with the Mustang yet, still working through the T-6 lineup. Are the differential brakes effective? I could firewall the Corsair and just steer with the brakes no problem.

So if you watch the 30 second videos I posted, you’ll see I’m not talking about realistic issues. Go fly this new plane and take off with flaps, then takeoff without flaps and you’ll see a remarkable difference in yaw control.

Then trim out in level flight with flaps down 1. Remove the flaps and watch the aircraft immediately pitch up and accelerate.

There are flight model issues hear that need to be addressed. This is a pay to fly airplane and id like to see them remedy these problems.

1 Like

did you know that IRL, if from idle you firewall the P51’s engine, it will flip onto it’s back due to the torque. Now that’s not modelled, but it’s not an aircraft to treat lightly.

1 Like

Flight model of Lady-B really needs to be adjusted. I am not a real pilot, but I enjoyed P-51D from A2A simulation and other simulators for a long time, over 20 years with P-51D.
I learned that I usually need to approach at 120 mph and touch down at 90 or 95 mph in most simulators. But when I reduce the speed to 110 mph the plane starts to get stall. So, I need to approach at 140 mph and touchdown at 120 mph in MSFS P-51D Lady B. It is not realistic. And, also in this speed I can not make 3 point landing.

4 Likes

They’ve reased like 40 new aircraft at once, what was you expecting?

My current take-off procedure is:

• Firewall the throttle. Don’t worry, it won’t do anything crazy and tracks straight for awhile, and the sooner you’re off the ground, the better.
  • Jiggle the toe brakes. Seriously, push them as you start to roll and watch your nose track nicely. You can steer entirely with the toe brakes for most of the run. Show the airplane that you, not it, are in control. If you don’t have pedals with toe brakes, god help you.
  • Eventually add rudder when it becomes effective and you run out of toe brake.
  • Hold lots of back pressure and lift off in a three point attitude as soon as possible.

Is that realistic? Not in the slightest, but it works for me, and I’ve found that a real plane and a sim plane are entirely different things and are flown entirely differently as a result. If I ease the power up, I find it still just suddenly veers at some point when the airspeed comes alive, so I might as well get off the ground sooner than later. And if I’m not actively steering with the toe brakes, I wind up just reacting late or improperly when it does veer, and getting behind the crazy left and right yawing, like backing a truck with a trailer down a hill.

1 Like

Was more like 4 aircraft with 10 liveries for $60.

Anyway, I have noticed the flight modeling is already better. I think they have tweaked it already, which is definitely good news.

I’ve spent the last two days super frustrated with the reno planes flight models. After paying the $60 I wanted to fly some of the planes outside of the racing activity. A: to get an idea of their characteristics, and B: to not affect my scores, etc, until I’m ready to race.
I have found that with the exception of the Texan, they were all uncontrollable. I tried, my logitech yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, I tried my Honeycomb yoke and throttle. Then I pulled out my trusty Logitech joystick. I tried different combinations, played with sensitivity and assist features, all to no avail.
Then I decided to just go ahead and try some time trials in each plane in the Reno activity. They all fly flawlessly in the reno race activity. Went back out to normal flying around my local airport…all trash again. Very strange.

They use a standardised flight model for the race, and their own outside of the race.

3 Likes