PA-28R Arrow III from Just Flight

I had the same dilemma as you.

But when I worked out it was only going to cost me £8.75 for the two Turbo versions I thought it was a no brainier.

Like you I love the Arrow and its actually great now to have a slightly more capable version for those longer and higher flights :slightly_smiling_face:

PS just finished a 2 hour flight in the Arrow iV, loved it.

2 Likes

The same with discount and points it cost me £6, so thought why not

1 Like

@Coppersens @TicTocRock @JWATTS0275

Bought … for that price why not? …

Thank you, you have given me the push that I was missing.

:wink:

1 Like

the answer is actually easy.

if you regularly visit high/hot altitude airports the turbo will improve takeoff drastically.
if you regularly visit altitudes above 7000ft (approx) the turbo will improve cruise speeds and climb, especially if you need to fly over weather.

you can also search on the internet, there are many discussions between real GA pilots about the turbo vs aspirated arrow and they boil to the points above.

hope this helps a bit.

4 Likes

Im loving the turbo arrow :smiley: however, fuel comsumption is a bit high, around 12-15 gph at 9.000Ft 75% 100ºF RoP, 2500 RPM. Getting around 155 TAS. Faster plane for richest pockets!

FYI for those who tend to only scan marked topics, there’s a Turbo Arrow III/IV-specific topic now.

Obviously discussing differences, etc. is cool here, but for stuff specific to that model, might be good to post in the Turbo topic to keep folks from getting confused since it’s a separate, distinct package to purchase.

4 Likes

Hi, I mostly follow your guidelines, except I alway tune to peak EGT, and I think it’s supposed to be 100 F rich of peak for best power, according to the performance charts. Also, I always set full rich whenever I’m cleared below 3000’ so I’m not messing around with it close to the ground. Hope that helps. I’ve no idea about the Turbo version.

2 Likes

Oh I now finally get it (more or less). To say “100oF lower than peak EGT” isn’t sufficient because there is such a thing as “Lean Of Peak” and “Rich Of Peak”. I had no idea as I’m no real-life pilot. To quote a discussion from an Xplane forum (to help others like me):

Rich of peak = after peak, you push mixture a bit forward to bring temperature down (100ºF down of peak for best power in this case)
Lean of peak = after peak, you continue to pull mixture back a bit to bring temperature down too, but leaner (engine manufacturers don’t recommend that, it may cause detonation [there is a lot of articles speaking against that, though…])

Which eventually leads to an endless thread of LoP vs RoP discussions over the Internet and aviation bibliography (especially when LoP is not an option for specific aircraft types), which boils down to how much you are hurting the engine over the long run. But in a flight sim such as MSFS I doubt anyone’s modelling engine fatigue over long periods of time, so I’ll just stick to the rules of thumb and the POH:

• best economy: peak EGT
  • best power: 100oF RoP
  • below 3000’ AGL: full rich

I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand how rich of peak can yield best power.

Logically speaking, the most energy that can be gained out of a fuel mixture is when a perfect stoichiometric ratio is achieved between oxidizer and fuel. I am a non-pilot, but from what I see peak EGT is attained when the prior ratio is achieved. To me, this seems to be logical, since the point at which the O2 and fuel can combust without trace is the point at which the maximal amount of energy per piston volume has been achieved within the engine. Molecular kinetic energy is in itself thermal energy, so the temp will just rise along with combustion efficiency.

This also indicates that, should the mixture be rich of peak, the excess fuel would simply not react and that most of it would be ejected out of the piston as a vapor upon the next engine cycle. In fact, up until I read your reply, my impression was that RoP mixtures are used to lubricate each engine piston or dampen the impact of the explosion generated in each piston, hence increasing engine life.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am quite in need of understanding how these engines work.

1 Like

I think that LoP/RoP settings depend (among other things) on whether you’re flying a carburated vs fuel-injected engine, but after reading through a dozen technical articles of real GA pilots arguing with each other, the only thing I understood is that they gave me a headache. On average what stands out is that RoP helps the engine by having the excess fuel cooling it down and that 50-100F RoP always means “best power”. But I’m still not clear how this actually creates more power efficiency. I just take the POH for granted.

To quote one of the articles I mentioned:

You’ll hear some owners and mechanics say that best economy can damage your cylinders and engine. And, you’ll hear others say that best economy’s just fine and best power could foul your spark plugs over time. You’ll find countless articles online supporting both sides.

If you follow the operating rules in the POH, you won’t damage the engine.

Of course there are other articles by experienced pilots who advise to not follow the POH leaning rules because they’re rubbish. Go figure.

1 Like

I’m happy to announce that the latest version of MSFS Mobile Companion App brings improvements to the UI for the Arrow III. Previously for certain buttons (esp AP on the Arrow), you could only operate them, but you could not see the status of the button in the app. This has now been improved. See the screenshot below:

Where can I get it? You can download the MSFS Mobile Companion App for free on GitHub or flightsim.to . It’s free. No ads, no in-app purchases, nothing.

Don’t forget to select the Arrow in the Options tab! The app starts with a default controls profile that doesn’t work very well with the Arrow.

Enjoy the app and let me know your feedback!

EDIT 06/14/2021: Please make sure you use version 1.8.1 and not 1.8. The version 1.8 was online for a couple of hours and caused CPU performance issues on one thread. Version 1.8.1 fixes this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

5 Likes

It’s the best moving map app I’ve seen, including payware.

Thanks!

1 Like

Very nice work! :wink:

Hope I’ll test it in future…

1 Like

New Releases for Arrows NA and Turbo

1 Like

Since the last update today I do not know how to turn on the dual gns screens, can someone help me?

Mine is also broken as well as no compatibility anymore for GNS750. Went back to the previous version and it works.

Try twisting the little knob with the ‘C’ on it

2 Likes

That’s usually needed for a fresh install. I think it gets set in the modded one so it persists across sim restarts.

I don’t understand why it’s ready for takeoff !!

it does not work