PART 1 - Huge OpenXR Update! Way better performance and a very smooth experience

Same here. Went from 5500 XT to 6800 XT on WMR.
Not a single change as forced retro-projection is horribly wobbly.
Absolutely not interesting to fly this way.

No joy for me either. Iā€™ve re-installed most of my software related to vr several times and just canā€™t get the developer tools to show the ā€œ106ā€ runtime. It does show it in the ā€œaboutā€ page, but not the ā€œSystem Statusā€ page. Guess Iā€™ll wait for another update to come around and see what changes then. I also have the RTX 2070 Super, and it seems to be a pretty good card. I canā€™t believe how many people seem to have the 30 series cards, but Iā€™m happy for them.

If it makes you feel any better I have a 3090 and I am also stuck on version 105ā€¦ Iā€™ve tried so many things that I wound up rolling back to a system restore point when I couldnā€™t get openxr to run at all! Tip: donā€™t delete stuff from the Windowsapps folder! :grimacing:

I am running on a 8600K@4.9, GTX1080Ti, 32GB, NVMe SSD, 466.27, HAGS ON and latest WMR OpenXR runtime. I have smooth VR with motionsmoothing/reprojection disabled. If I enable it, stutterfest. Also, HAGS OFF worse performance. I think that the overhead on the CPU for this feature is bottlenecking my performance. I see that those with 3000 series cards are benefitting, but most also pairing with an 8 core/multithreaded CPU. Its a bit odd that to get lower FPS 22.5 reprojection, you need a higher end system. :thinking:

If you set the ā€˜Use latest preview OpenXR runtimeā€™ to on, the version changes in the system status. If that is set to off, it uses the ā€˜previousā€™ version of OpenXR.

Thanks UrgentCactus709, it does make perfect sense that it should work like that, but Iā€™ve used that switch back and forth, un-installed and re-installed all things related to vr several times to no avail. Checked for updates in the Microsoft Store on a regular basis with no joy. With the new feature in the 106 runtime being so popular, Iā€™m surprised I canā€™t find more info on it in my searches. Guess Iā€™ll wait till Microsoft puts out another update and see if it works for me. Many thanks for the reply.

Completely nerfs my system trying to use this and limits me to about 15 FPS with the CPU and GPU barely being used. In the air with the same settings my system can normally run 40-60 FPS so I have no clue what its problem with my system is. I shouldnā€™t be surprised as nothing works for me when it comes to this sim.

There are plenty of tricks to remove and alleivate the jitterness, some suggestions

1. Ensuring fps is really smooth seems to help.
  2. Downloading VR friendly propeller animations on flightsim.to
  3. Disabling the preview mode, this produces less reprojected frames so not as smooth, but more stable.
  4. Picking a plane which doesnā€™t have a propeller in front of you :slight_smile:

Finally I found some planes (propeller in front of you) just seem to produce more jittery animations than other, the JMB VL/3 for example is worst than the Robin DR400.

Having said all this, for me itā€™s not that bad an effect as the smooth frames trump any slight visual artifact. Of course I would rather it not be there, but flying with smooth frames is essential for me in VR and reprojection gives me this.

Thanks for the tips but my jitteryness is not just in the propeller regions. Itā€™s in all regions. I use the ā€œVR friendly propeller animationsā€ but they donā€™t help much. What is most weird is that when using the steam version of openxr I donā€™t get any jitteryness. None. I only get that when using WMRā€™s version of openxr. I can use motion reporjection when running through steam. So thereā€™s something different about the 2 implementations of openxr which impacts my results.

Itā€™s all about good quality smooth frames so I just lower the quality slightly when not using motion reprojection to obtain the smooth frames. The lower quality settings produces better overall quality for me.

1 Like

Maybe someone can clear me up here. For what is Openxr exactly? I have a mixed reality G2 Headset from HP. In reading I get the impression that OpenXR is already incorperated in the mixed reality drivers, or am I wrong? Or does OpenXR just give you access to some tweaking controls that you do not have access to by just using the standard mixed reality portal/drivers. So basically you have the mixed reality portal running, then also OpenXR, and then MSFS?

You can tweak some stuff like Renderscale and have a newer ā€œDriverā€ to choose

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.