Boeing 747 Flashlight

The first thing to do for a cold and dark startup is to use the flashlight to locate the switches to power up the aircraft electrically. The flashlight is pathetically dim and hardly usable. Surely this can be fixed easily?

Come on now. lol Goodness I love the comments. lol smh

The stock white flashlight effect is really overly bright. I have a dimmer replacement that’s tinted red uploaded at flightsim (dot) com - search for clayton flashlight and you’ll find it. There’s another red one at flightsim.to, but like the stock effect, it’s way over-bright. If the stock effect is too dim, consider calibrating your monitor.

@MilordKen
Can’t confirm that it’s too dim. That said, I’ve never had to use a flashlight in an airliner.
Especially long range airliners are usually not cold & dark when the crew arrives.

In all other cases a brightly lit apron makes all the switches easily visible without using a flashlight.
The dark aprons are one of the major MSFS bugs and immersion killers.

@tclayton2k why red? I’ve never seen a red flashlight in an airliner.

Using only one primary color, even if it’s brighter, preserves the night vision for the other colors. The lights on the deck of an aircraft carrier are similar. They look orange, which would normally refract into read and green, but they’re actually very close to being a single wavelength.

An airliner cockpit and an aircraft carrier deck are two totally different things.
The lights on an apron are white as well and the flashlight in an airliner cockpit has nothing to do with preserving night vision.

I should have mentioned that the flashlights in the Cessna 172 and Airbus A320/32NX are nice and bright so it’s not a matter of calibrating my monitor.

To my knowledge, there is only one flashlight effect for the sim, so there may be something else in play here.

For me, until I learn (created cold and dark check off sheet-because in game it’s wrong and not complete), I start during the day. Yes, realize, night flying is necessary, have not found flashlight, and again, until I get the process down, just doing my testing in the daylight. I can send you the document, it also goes into FMC as needed to get plane so it knows where it is located. I would need e-mail. Tried to post into tutorials, it won’t let me. Go figure. Believe it’s as complete as possible.

Check your keyboard assignments and you should find the Flashlight binding. I think it’s Ctrl+I (India) by default.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.