Payware addons in marketplace

Hi Asobo team.

Recently I bought the Washington DC payware addons at simmarket website but also available on marketplace. With the tomorrow’s USA update, does this mean this addon is totally useless ? Does this mean it’s preferable to wait your world update before buying any payware addons ?

Thanks.

André

Can’t be sure until it’s released. If Washington is going to be photogrammetry, the scenery might be useless. It might not. Depends on what is in the update, and the quality of it vs. the quality of the payware mod.

I doubt it. Drzewiecki Design’s modelling is very detailed. I have both Washington D.C. and Seattle. Default Seattle is a photogrammetry city with some hand crafting, but the pay-ware scenery blows it away. OTOH, I also have KATL and the quality seems to be closer to what Asobo might implement with their upcoming version of KATL, so it may be that I wasted money on that upgrade. Bottom line is that top-notch scenery developers will provide products that are almost certain to be improvements over what Asobo will provide–and that is by design. Asobo has said that they are trying to leave plenty of room for the third party ecosystem to flourish.

1 Like

I would not waste my money buying addons which would be free after a world update. For sure I’ll compare tomorrow after the update. I’m surprised partners addons would be useless after futur world update. I hope like you said that the payware will be better than the default after the update. I also bought London City landmarks, hope the next world update will not replace my payware !

I hesitate now to buy more cities. I would like Moscow, St-Marteen.

A quality 3rd party scenery / airport pack will always look better than photogrammetry or even the hand-crafted default airports by Asobo. The Asobo hand crafted airports are a huge step up from auto-gen, but they tend to be a far cry from the airports made by quality 3rd party devs who put a lot more time building a single airport with much higher detail textures and far nicer details all around.

I have not doubt on this point but is this the same with city landmarks ? I would also be interested to buy Singapore and Mexico downtown, I hope Asobo will not remake them better ?

Initially the 3rd party stuff may clash with world update stuff and cause issues. If they are good 3rd party devs, they’ll update their scenery packs to work with newly updated MSFS world scenery.

I’m waiting patiently for Mt Rushmore.

@GreenAnemone683 don’t buy Mexico Landmarks
Unless you’re flying VFR

I’m mostly flying VFR. Not good ?

There is a good mod for Mt Rushmore but I hope the update will add it by default.

1 Like

@GreenAnemone683 It’s not really that great to be honest. I regret buying it.
Is the Seattle one good?

I appreciate having free world updates.
Even, it you bought a payware addon, that is redundant someday.
It is like buyin an RTX 2080 Ti and then the RTX 3070 is released for less money.
These things just happen.

Anyway, Asobo is interested to add a good baseline to them simulator.
They are certainly not interested in displacing third party developers.
It is as you know from the hand crafted airports. They look good, but they are nowhere near as detailed as those from the third-party developers.

Seattle is by Drzwiecki. They always do a stellar job. Mexico is by some company I have never heard of. It’s pretty junky, IMO. I don’t have Seattle, but I have their Moscow and DC, and they are great.

Drzwiecki do very good sceneries. DC is just WOW. I didn’t buy Moscow yet but looks amazing.

I just don’t understand why Asobo have partners if they overwrite partner’s jobs ? That’s not fair for them and for us.

Asobo’s hand-crafted stuff will be way better than auto-gen scenery, but will never touch the quality of good quality 3rd party stuff. Payware addons should never be redundant in that sense. If you bought Airport X from someone like Orbx, and Asobo updates that airport, the Orbx version will still work (assuming they fix any clashes that will likely occur) look much better and be far more detailed.

Microsobo have already said in their Q&A that the last thing they want to do is hinder 3rd party devs or replace their work. They may want to improve the world as a whole, but not at the expense of shutting out 3rd party scenery devs.

1 Like

RE: There is a good mod for Mt Rushmore…
I downloaded and installed. Testing now. Thank you.

Mount Rushmore is now added in the USA world update as many other importants landmarks POI as Devil Tower, Niagara Falls.

Yes, yes it is. Well worth the money.

Okay, now the world update is out, I did check DC and I’m confused ! I don’t see the White House, nor the Washington Monument but see the Lincoln Memorial and Pentagone. Didn’t see the US National Arboretum. Could you verify on your side please.

Anyway, if it’s only the POI they added, the payware is WAY better.