Performance Degradation with 1.14.5.0. Upgrade

I have finally had a chance to come back to the sim after being a week away - my first flight after downloading the update was better - no major FPS issue but still not as good as before (my last flight to SJC was a 5fps stutterfest - when I took off from there it was much better). I dialed back my LOD from 90 to 80 and the next 2 were much better still. If I can stay this way I might go back and buy an updated airport from the marketplace. However I have no faith that the next update in a week or so wont bork something else…sorry but Asobo’s track record has not been good lately…hoping I am wrong for a change.

4 Likes

Between 4 pm - 6pm start at 25fps lag to 1 fps withing 10 min or less.
Get ■■■■■■ have a smoke. Fire up Arma3 configure the new joystick (did I mention I got a new joystick HA), played that until around 8:30pm (I forgot how pretty that is with all the cool effects backwash etc).

Go out have another smoke. Was going to turn in, and decided what the hell one more go, load up FS
Load up Tribal Air, 45fps dipping to 42fps. Take off some cacti missing but no biggie, fly around the desert for around 1 hour never dropping below 42.

Looks promising, so I load up Burke Lake Front PG on and off I go, 27 fps but the pg looks better. Launch turn east toward Eire still running 22-27fps. Hit esc turn off PG rejoin the flight already in progress, bam Im back up to 40 fps. all the way to Erie, earlier I couldnt make it 20mi from the airport, after 8:00 I can fly as long as I want.

2 strange things during last flight though…

1st - I had air traffic totally turned off, and only multiplayer, so as Im flying Im seeing an aircraft light comming at me so I turn of aircraft lables, and that light was an actual real person flying, went to 3rd person and there were about 20 other people in the air with me. (I thought that if you had air traffic off, you had no air traffic at all even with multi on).

2nd - Weather related as I crossed over the ‘weather boxes’ tonight while the turbulence was still there as you crossed into them the visual of the roughness of the waters stayed really close to the same.
So are they working on it, is it having a good connection at the time changed it (I dont think so because this has been happening for quite a few months). Im guessing they’ve been working on server code or capacity.

It was really responsive and ohhhh how pretty rofl

1 Like

A small flight around a bunch of islands went very smooth again.
However. As soon as I flew further land inward the sim became very stuttery again. This also messed up the dynamics. I was flying with some turbulence, and every time a stutter occurred just when a wind shear happened, the plane would almost roll over inverted in an instant. Any corrections were also exaggerated causing the plane to violently slam the other way or up/down. I had to change the weather to clear skies to make the plane controllable again. After that when the framerate stabilized itself a little bit, I noticed that the satellite imagery was severely lacking behind with tiles still updating from a very blurry state as I flew over them. I have a fast and stable internet connection.

4 Likes

Totally unrelated to this, but was that you landing at Hopkins on Sun afternoon? Did a King Air Follow you down to the runway to watch you land ( I have pictures if that was you ). And if that was you did you start lagging as you made the approach. Okay somewhat related…

2 Likes

Wasn’t me my friend :slight_smile:
Take care and all the best!

not only in this thread :wink:

2…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/poor-performance-with-rtx-3080-and-3900x-cpu-limited-by-mainthread/298213/261?u=michamma

3…

He needs many attention :wink:

3 Likes

How does it look though at such a huge drop in Res?

Really good. The rendering scale setting along with my resolution set at the 4K setting yields a good compromise until further solutions are available.

With a 3080, why would you set the Render Scaling so low?

I would be scaling to 4K.

You are absolutely correct. I should.

However I get almost 20 more fps at a lower render scaling setting.

It is the only setting I have found that has a direct impact on the FPS.

Servers are down at the moment, so hopefully Asobo is doing some fixes…

1 Like

Here’s an interesting thing.

I get 35-40fps on 1440p Ultra with GPU at 100% (i7-9700KF 32GB SSD 2070S)
After about 30 min or so the frame rate will drop below 30, sometimes low 20’s, and the GPU falls to about 70% and stays there.
Now, if I hit the ESC key to enter the options, the frame rate jumps back up and the GPU hits 100% again. Hit ESC again to get back into the game, and my frame rate and GPU is back to where it should be for a further 30-60min. Rinse and repeat.
Weird.

3 Likes

Was my hope to, but unfortunately seems not…https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/xbox-status/386195

I am back in the simulated air now.

Try it again now.

I was on a min ago started out good and just got slower and slower…

Xbox status page 8 out of 11 services have major outages…

1 Like

I would guess it is the ISP or FS servers throttling your usage.

I have had the same issue before. It seemed to be being caused by the coherent gt draw, which became the limiting factor and slowly got worse over time.

Same as you, hitting escape and then going back into the game fixed the problem for another 20min or so (gpu back to 100% utilisation and being the limiting factor). Possibly a memory leak of some sort?

2 Likes

Min 7:36 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Sim Update - YouTube its partially fixed what ever it means.
Hopefully it means that they still fix it to bring it in the next update and it will remove all these stutters and poor fps over which you can read also here: Still Stutters and poor FPS after the 1.14.6.0 Update! - #169 by BonniestManx065

1 Like

Not sure of the title can be changed. And anyway, there are still lingering problems since 1.14.5.0.

Asobo has said that some issues were resolved, but performance problems from that upgrade still exist and I guess Asobo is still working on fixes brought in by that upgrade.

Hi, thanks, can you explain this in a little more detail? I watch this in detail. Usually 1000/longer frametime = fps - not in this case? What do the red spikes represent?