Performance drop by 50% after Hotfix 1.15.8.0

Yesterday, before the hotfix 1.15.8.0, I had 40 fps, sim running very smooth. I closed the game. The hotfix came in through Steam. I started the game again. Now, after the hotfix, I have 20fps or less with the exact same configuration. Everything is updated (Nvidia, Windows etc.). Community folder empty. I never ran into a major issue so far. Anybody experiencing the same or having a solution?

RESOLVED: The ATC in the menu was activated, but didn’t show. It’s a bug. It stayed activated (hidden) even after reloading the game and caused the fps drop. After clicking on the ATC again, fps are back on the main monitor. It was not the hotfix. Go figure…

you are not alone, same happened to me. still looking on the forums for a fix, nothing as yet I’m afraid. Funny that DCS just had a massive update and I’m getting 140+ fps on that sim, go figure.

1 Like

I updated DCS to take a look at the Clouds last evening. The clouds technology is closer to what I had in one XP11 plugin and not in the same league as MSFS clouds as far as I could see.

DCS engine / terrain technology has nothing to do with MSFS. It’s way behind technologically. Not mentioning it’s not a (streamed) world engine but pre-loaded limited areas.

I wasn’t comparing the engine technology, I fully realize it’s not streaming scenery. I was pointing out that when Eagle Dynamics issue an update it is tested before hand to make sure it dose not break the sim, that was all.

1 Like

What I am noticing it that the CPU, GPU usage is lower than before. Right now just at about 20/60. Before I had the GPU running nearly at max (90%) without issues. I am pretty sure, but not 100%. Could be something else as well. - Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1070 (8gb).

I also got those stutters since the above update. I can not understannd, that no developer is testing different systems, whether the updates work well.
Hope that they will fix it soon.

2 Likes

Here again I disagree, the complexity is not the same at all in both software. MSFS presents a huge amount of things difficult to control.

DCS World is easier to maintain and test.

I noticed right now on a flight that the frame rates don’t drop anymore when pulling a window to the second monitor. Before, there would be a big drop. So, that would be good (if I could just get back the overall performance from before the patch). So, they changed here something. Today, I cut down on settings, installed an older driver and I have now better performance. Not as good as before, but it’s something and I can use the second monitor without fps drop for the first time.

I have not played MSFS-2020 for a time (last 2 months) and back this morning (April-17-2021). I’m very negatively surprised on how the performance is worse now in comparison my past game-play even more considering I upgraded my GPU last week.

In the same airport where I used to have 100 FPS+ with a 2080 ti now I’m getting 15 FPS with a RTX3080 from all sudden. When airborne the FPS is playable but when getting closer to the ground the stuttering and low FPS destroys the experience.

Let alone when I tried the same flight in VR (HP Reverb G1), the low FPS turns it the 3D stereo technology completely useless at the moment.

I’m wondering if I should delete some profile or configuration files from my PC due the several game updates from my last try but I don’t know from where to begin the search.

(i7-8700K@5.00 Ghz + RTX 3080 + 32 Gb RAM + GeForce Drivers 466.11)

2 Likes

Anyone experiencing performance problems needs to uninstall Windows Update KB5001330 to see if the performance improves. I just uninstalled and went from 20% GPU usage and horrible performance to over 95% GPU usage and high frame rates with no other changes.

2 Likes

Do you mean the “security update KB5001330”? If so I’m trying to do now.

Same here, from 47 fps to 22fps

I confirm what it says Mike614

I still get a huge drop when undocking a window, 25% loss of FPS with vsync off. 50% loss with vsync on. I wonder if you are just always paying for it up front now.

It looks like it’s using much more GPU memory. When I look at MSI Afterburner logs, I see a lot of GPU bus activity and memory pegged at 8GB (2020 super maxq) in areas that used to be just fine. I’m getting good FPS in sparse areas, but it bogs down in cities.

Well, that’s interesting. I am positive. On my system, after the hotfix frame rates won’t drop when undocking a window and pulling it over to the second monitor. That would be actually good, but the frame rates are low now, about the level I had before when I undocked a window and pulled it over. The performance went down from let’s say 40 to 20 fps. Now, I have 20 fps no matter if I use one or two monitors.

RESOLVED: The ATC in the menu was activated, but didn’t show. It’s a bug. It stayed activated (hidden) even after reloading the game and caused the fps drop. After clicking on the ATC again, fps are back on the main monitor. It was not the hotfix. Go figure…

2 Likes

Great. Other users suffering severe performance drops reported the same two updates ago or so. Undocking no longer caused an FPS drop for them, which made me think the two issues were connected. @Crunchmeister71 is this still an issue for you? Can you still undock with no penalty?

Still no penalty undocking. Honestly though, I’m thinking that whatever penalty I used to experience while undocking, I now get all the time.

1 Like

Try opening and closing all the windows maybe? See if something is hiding in the “stuck on” position.