Periodic black out with HP Reverb G2

For me this only happens in MSFS2020 so it’s clearly an issue with MSFS2020 implementation of VR and not a general driver or headset issue

Yes, it is the same with mine. The problem only occurs with MSFS, it’s also the only program that causes AMD graphics driver timeout crashes.

@EmergencyNICK, I think I found your problem right there… :wink:

@Knutflatoy, unfortunately that does not seem to have helped. It does make solving my startup problems (like when I get an error message in WMR when starting it up) because I can just turn the port off and back on which so far has been 100% successful in making that problem go away, but I’m still getting the occasional and short-lived blackout issue. But I can say with almost absolute certainty that it’s NOT related to volume or sound issues, as it’s just as likely to happen when things are relatively quiet than not.

So far my observations are that whatever is causing them to happen is completely random, as I can’t make it happen by turning up the volume, or going to a particular place at a scenery dense airport, or anything else I may have tried, either intentionally or otherwise.

Just complete randomness.

I’m still going round in circles - I’ve virtually eliminated the volume issue. Today, after hoping that the latest nvidia driver might help (which it didn’t) I tried 457.30 which, I have to admit made things run noticeably smoother ( obviously, most of you would add) but it didn’t stop the black outs. It’s most frustrating, because when I unplugged the usb box and then reconnected it everything ran perfectly - at least for the 45 mins I played msfs2020.

I haven’t had the problem since I reseated the USB cord into the headset and then used a twisty bag tie to prevent the cord from moving. This seems too easy, so might not be the solution to other users problems, but could be worth a try.

Just an update. HP have taken a while to get back to me which makes me think that they are aware of a problem. I can’t believe that I that this hasn’t affected lots more people but possibly they have worked a way round it - which, in effect, I’ve done. I just disconnect the power to the usb junction and reset things and it seems to work ok. But, this doesn’t feel right. Incidentally, I tried playing Aerofly FS2 to see if the same problem occurred, which it did. Actually, I was rather surprised how good things looked in Aerofly FS2. Perhaps I shouldn’t say so on this Forum but, in some respects it gave a better VR experience than Msfs2020.

1 Like

From everything I’ve been able to gather, from my own personal experiences as well as reading those of others, the black out seems to be 100% random. It’s not sound related (I can’t even believe that “old wives tale” (which I suppose is a “new wives tale” at this point) is still spreading around), it doesn’t appear to be load based, or any predictable set of performance, location, or any other parameters.

I’ve also heard from “they” (you know, “they” say that…) HP will offer an RMA for this issue pretty quickly, the only problem with that is they don’t have enough inventory to get returns out in a timely manner, especially if they expect you to return yours first before they send out a replacement! But the good news is that most of us have warranties that don’t run out until the end of the year so if we can live with it for now, we can wait until they get their inventory levels figured out.

I received a new G2 from HP as a replacement to the one I sent in. I’ve only played for about 2 hours but I haven’t noticed the blackouts yet. I will keep you posted.

2 Likes

Yep that’s a seperate issue. I have both issues.

1. Your issue with the cable because it gets pulled out slightly. I’ve used a cable tie and some thick black tape around one end to prevent it slipping through the cable tie.

2. Periodic black outs, in the left followed by the right eye. This is a known issue with the Reverb G2 headset, I used to think it wss GPU drivers but I’ve since found out and proven its related to the power draw from the built in speakers during high volume audio. Trust me if you switch to audio from your computer - this will go away. I had this all the time watching movies in VD. Solution - turn down audio or use external audio / headphones.

On the HP Reverb G2 black out issues, I just received a reply from Voodooimaxx on the Reddit forums.

We have an updated firmware in the works. I hope it to be available in the next couple of weeks.

3 Likes

That is good news.

Brilliant - a solution at last!

Is he or she a confirmed HP employee who would be in a position to be in the know about something like that? Because when I’ve checked reddit on similar issues in that sub, HP employees have been labeled as such. I don’t know if they’re just trusting people who make that claim, or if there is some sort of verification going on behind the scenes, regardless, this voodoo person doesn’t even have that label.

But, now that I’m done questioning his or her bonafides, if this is true information, that is good news, and here’s to hoping that any updated firmware might also come with some performance tweaks, too!

I’m not sure how us joe six-pack end users would be informed of such a release, though, unless it comes through in a Windows update.

Yeah not sure, u/Voodooimaxx appears to be a Quality Manager who seems very knowledgeable and is helpful on Reddit forums and has shared a Q&A post with HP’s Global Head of VR for Location-Based Entertainment Joanna Popper on /r/HPReverb - I remember Joanna even name dropping Voodooimaxx, so I have no real reason not to trust what this person is saying.

1 Like

firmware is up
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp112501-113000/sp112954.exe
read the install doc and update. Works for me…

1 Like

Next time you post a link be sure it actually works…
Beside that, I couldn’t find any official information on HP website about this update. Strange…

You would have a link to the site where you found this exe with the explanations?

@ Radeks40 The link works, but it’s hard to figure out how.
If you are on Chrome or Edge, you must choose to open with: Internet Explorer

1 Like

My appologies!
It worked just fine under IE, but I stopped using it like 10 years ago…:slight_smile:
Firmware updated successfuly.
Thank you!

You would think both of those should know how to handle a simple ftp address, but I guess not. Any ideas what is up with that? I went and installed an entire file downloader from the windows store for this one file!