Persistent cracks in ground tiles (not water) … since SU5

So far this has been the case. At least I was able to reproduce (visit) all the cracks that others have stumbled upon. So it is deterministic (which makes it “easy” to debug … and hopefully fix)

I suspect that those cracks are in the “master” elevation data … and so Asobo could “roll out a fix” without the need to update the game engine and deploy new binaries … at least that is my guess so far.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Yeah they would be able to fix it then, similarly to some of the other terrain issues in the past.

They need to also fix the reply to post feature not showing above posts that you clearly click reply to as well but that’s another topic!

Similar issue here since SU5 - significant tile/elevation area around Bury St Edmunds, UK (Rougham airfield for those that want to know). Anyone else having similar issues?

Is that crack in Rougham an east-west crack? … or a north-south oriented one?

If it is east-west then I wonder if it might go all the way across the UK to the west coast. In that cast it might be the same crack as the one reported south of Llanbedr Airport.

What graphics settings are you using?
… and are you using live Bing data … or the offline data only?

1 Like

That’s using the offline map - using the online Bing data then the crack disappears (thank you - I hadn’t looked that far into the menus yet) - but equally the railway line seems to have disappeared in the online mapping.

The crack is east-west oriented though, so could well be the same one…I’ve not flown it yet, but give me until tomorrow and I’ll tell you!

1 Like

Loaded up the sim following the WU6 update and the tile cracks at EIAB remain. Hopefully Asobo will rectify this issue soon.

2 Likes

I been getting these as well. When I turn off photogrammetry off the disappear. So it is a bug with that I’m sure.

Are you saying the cracks at EIAB disappear when you disable photogrammetry?

That would be pretty interesting indeed.
Could you please confirm that / clarify if you are looking at EIAB … or a different airport.

I mainly fly in south east USA but I will check. I know I seen the tile cracks in areas near water. LA is real bad. I will check that area tomorrow.

1 Like

I just check EIAB and not cracks that I can see with PG off.

I’m seeing this all over, especially at airports strange diagonal (always diagonal) tears in the runway/tarmac.

…And they still have never fixed the giant trenches all over southern Arizona.

1 Like

I honestly think they fixed this issue for many airports, because before SU6 it drove me crazy that every airport had these horrible flashing white lines, especially visible at dawn/dusk/overcast. However, after SU6 I’ve only noticed them at the US airports that I’ve checked out, as well as many of the handcrafted airports, even outside the US like Frankfurt. Otherwise, I seriously do not see these lines anywhere else at airports, under any lighting conditions. (Water tile cracks I definitely do see).

Now, on the SU6 patch notes they included a description that said “fixed some gaps between ground surfaces” and I’m thinking this is what they are referring to. Maybe the remaining anomalies will be ironed out, maybe even by tomorrow!?

2 Likes

Great scenery but not without its faults !!
I discovered what looks like a rift valley a few miles to the East of Leeds Bradford Airport (EGNM) and another just to the south of EGNM. The easterly fissure runs due North-South and the Southerly one due East-West.

I followed the northerly track along the Pennines and across Northumberland until it diminshed and disappeared as the terrain-height reduce towards sea level at Berwick on Tweed (ca 150miles). Along the way the ravine was intersected by several similar East West fissures.

I followed an East West fissure to Berwick where it ran out close sea level which suggests errors in calculating the height of terrain above sea level. This only seems to effect land and rivers. Rivers and roads fall into the ravine but lakes are unaffected and bridge the fissure. Rather strangely the fissure contains occasional buildings here and there.

I also discovered an East West fissure which bisects the Oreat Orme peninsular near Llandudno not far from RAF Valley (EGOV). I first noticed what looks like major earthquake damage after update 5 and the features are persistent. They are always there. I will try changing my settings to see if i can disable this rather good earth quake simulator.

Scenery Rupture_07

1 Like

Update.
I enabled BingMaps and photogrammetry. This had the effect of correctly rendering the terrain in the near field but the ruptures were still visble but much less noticable in the far field. So it masks rather than fixes the problem.
Correction -The location of the ‘rift valley’ is to the West of EGNM not East as I typed. See inset VFR map

2 Likes

Interesting.

You confirm a pattern that was seen in other locations as well (e.g. EGFD).

It seems like some “cracks” are only in some LOD levels (e.g. like the “offline” data).

Yes, definitely, in EDDF diagonally across the loading lanes and grass as well as the apron. Looks cruel and would rather avoid the airport. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Is really full of evil.

yea EDDF is the most Damaged airport in Europe i guess, making the approach experience so bad,
i hope it gets fixed in the next patch

1 Like

Yes EDDF doesn’t work at all, really bad!

May 1 2022, has this been fixed yet? I still have rips in my UK scenery

This problem started for me after I uninstalled Orbex True Earth UK. I now have the Great Lincolnshire Rift Valley.