Persistent Online Mode

Hello everyone,

I think this is my first message here, so I come up with this proposition for MSFS.

Before starting, I know that this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, you might say that this is a Useless waste of resources or anything, and that has nothing to do in a Flight Sim, I understand that people got different point of view, but please, just see it through my eyes.

I wish to have a « Persistent Online Mode », in a way that you have your plane flying even when the simulator is not running.

I Know, I Know, you may say « That is useless, this is a Flight Sim etc » or for any reason you may have, but please, keep reading, maybe you might agree on some points.

I fly Airliners mostly, now waiting for Long Haulers, but my need for the Persistent Online Mode also applies for Medium Hauls, which even more people uses.

Who never had a CTD while flying, or just after setting up your flight in CDU/FMC/MCDU ? Who never had a short lived Power Outage few hours/minutes before Descent? Who never had to reboot the PC because the Sim, or another app was making problems? Or who is wishing to be able to do a Long Haul but unable to do so because the PC can’t run Games for too long?

About Long Hauler, you may know, once cruising, what are you doing? Just like Real Pilots, you are watching your systems from afar while doing something else, right?

My memories from FSX, to give you an idea, I did WSSS-KEWR 3 Times, 18h of flight, leaving PC running all night while sleeping, with FSX preventing PC to « sleep » so Bright bedroom all night, wishing I could stop the PC and restart next morning, which would also allow to reset the PC, close back running apps and so, having Optimal PC resources for Arrival.

For Long Haul I do during daytime, I wish I could stop the sim when cruising just to save PC performances and be able to use other apps and Software

When I do Long Hauls, when Cruising, I just spend the whole flight wishing for the sim to not Crash (Well, Less than before, I now have a Better PC and Asobo did an Amazing on MSFS performances), nor having a power outage (those happens quite often where I live).

Others people would probably want to make a Long Haul while they are at work/school, so not at home to monitor what happen on their PC, I had that deception to come back after a long day at School, to a Turned Off PC after a Local (House only) Power outage… while I expected to have at least 3 hours of flight left, so far enough to prepare descent and landing.

I understand that people flying on Networks like VATSim, IVAO etc, are against thing as we need to be constantly online for ATC, but not everyone are, I am not into network. But people who want to long Long Haulers on Volanta, SimToolKitPro, Projectfly would be happy to do them without worrying for a Sim/PC crash or Power Outage, even for people with weaker PC, who can’t run MSFS more than few hours before it starts overheating.

For the Best, I would suggest to Possibility to Turn On/Off the Persistence Mode, as people who are doing VFR without AutoPilot might not me interested. Or for many other reason that even Me, I would need the Persistent mode disabled when I’m just wandering around.

I think I’m done; sorry if there are weirdly made sentences or even typos, I’m French.

I wish you all Happy Flights and safe Landings!

Regards, SkyLane

Hi there,
Thank you for your Wishlist post. It looks like you wrote this topic because you are concerned about the sim crashing while you are away. I just wanted to alert you to another Wishlist topic about auto-saving your state every few minutes, so that if the sim does crash, you can resume where you left off:

Hi,
no its not just about this, but actually to have the plane to keep going while the sim is not running :slight_smile:
I given an exemple about taking off, going to sleep and waking up for arrival without leaving the PC running all night.

Problem nof Autosave is the live weather, depending on when I get a PowerOutage, like in the few houres on the flights, I would load up the flight and still have 14h of flight ahead with a Weather delay since the planes woud have been “frozen” when I was sleeping

I will Upvite the AutoSave Topic as well since its good for Short/Medium Hauls. but font Long Haulers, since when in cruise I have nothing to do, I would like to be able to Close the sim to save performances for arrival and even be able to do something else. or just leave the house with PC off and come back knowing that the arrival is soon.

Just tell me if you don’t understand what I mean, I’m not good at explaining things :wink:

Thank for replying by the way, Take care!
Regards, SkyLane

Hi there,
I understand what you mean; don’t worry! The only thing that I am confused about is your sentence:

The proposal for autosave is not that they would save and freeze your aircraft. The proposal is simply to be able to restore your flight to a previous point if you experience a CTD.
But yes, you would still need to have MSFS running during that time.

About my sentence, I meant:

On a Long Haul, if the problem happen in the beginning of the flight and that Im away for few houres, When I am back to MSFS, I load up the flight and see that I have like 13H of flights ahead instead of 3h as I would have expected, so the flight would end up in an unappropriate time for me (to late/early or simply not at home, so I would need to load the save another time or even day), and also, the Live weather would changes and the FlightPlan would be outdated since the winds would have changed (I know that from FSX + ActiveSky, ran out of fuel after a Save because weather changed while I was away and couldn’t do it earlier)

As I said, this Wish is mostly for LongHaul / UltraLongHaul :wink:

Regards, SkyLane

Many topics and posts describe aspects of MSFS that break the “immersion” or aren’t realistic enough. For me (my opinion only) is that allows jetliners, jets, and some turboprops to be flown with only one pilot. These aircraft are DESIGNED to be flown with two crew members. Only one pilot is not realistic and is illegal IRL. And for very long haul flights, there are two crews so that rotation is available for sleeping. If implemented in MSFS, someone would be flying every minute of the flight. The FLIGHT would be persistent but individual crew members would be able to turn off their PCs and rejoin the flight at a later time.

This should be extended to historic aircraft as well. If an aircraft requires three crew members such as a flight engineer, someone should be flying in that position. With the number of virtual airlines available it should not be difficult to hire copilots. An alternative would be to have a realistic AI copilot to be either PF or PM.

1 Like

I Agree with you ! butthen, how do you find someone to fly with you and accept to be there just to watch your plane while you are away/sleeping :confused: I am friendless for that haha. So a Better AI Crew would fit!

I dont fly on VAs, because I am a Free Pilot, I choose what I want to fly, where I want.

This is the reason I’m wishing for the possibility to have the plane flying the route with AutoPilot while the sim/PC is not Running.

But, as said in my 1st post, I understant that this in an Unpopular opinion, I know that People who really flyes LongHauls/UltraLongHauls are not many, so no one can really see why I really need that feature :wink:

Regards, SkyLane