Photogrammetry - when?

Sounds like your TLOD is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high.

1 Like

Los Angelesā€™ photogrammetry is also from 2014ā€¦:laughing:

2 Likes

And they say Iā€™m living in the past. :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s kindā€™ve funnyā€¦I made the discovery of ā€œagingā€ the PG.

For instance, the town where I live, the PG is from July 2020 (it got updated with USA Update II) as thereā€™s a local business that opened up that month (you can even make out the ā€œGrand Openingā€ banner on the buildings and across town, thereā€™s a tent from a Fireworks vendor.

Or, Disneyland in California. It doesnā€™t have the Star Wars themed ā€œGalaxyā€™s Edgeā€ area, itā€™s still a parking lot in the Sim. The Hollywood Tower of Terror attraction is still present and Main Street USA still has the Christmas decorations up. This, post USA Update II as well. Most of the Greater Los Angeles area is from 2014.

Not a bash at Asobo, itā€™s honestly kindā€™ve fun to go around and see what can be found.

4 Likes

You should be asking the MS Bing team, not Asobo, as they have little or nothing to do with the level of quality in the photogrammetry. This is not a graphics setting that they can just ā€œimproveā€ when they feel like it, and they can only work with what Bing has in their photogrammetry database, so if they donā€™t have up-to-date data (which takes an obscene amount of time and money to acquire) then youā€™re just SOL. Google isnā€™t much better, and as an avid user of Google Earth, I can most certainly tell you that there are plenty of places in the world where Googleā€™s photogrammetry sucks too.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not always the case. MS have sourced PG data from various sources for the sim, not just Bing.

As an example, this is the PG data in Bing for downtown Toronto, including a very nicely done CN Tower. This is most definitely not the PG data thatā€™s in either the base sim nor the post-apocalyptic wasteland version of Toronto we got in the Canada World Update. Iā€™d take the current Bing data over either of those any day.

1 Like

I give it a heart because it is absolutely right and answers the question of the OP but have to notice that the real good australia PG isnā€™t an excuse for the ashaming London desaster.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.