Pico 4 and OpenXR Toolkit

It is possible that I made an error mixing the settings with OpenXR Toolkit and the Steam VR settings. I was changing the settings in Steam VR to a higher value to 129% which I think is 4096x4096. I am not too sure if Open XR Toolkit makes any difference, the sharpness and clarity now does not look any difference with OXRT disabled? Maybe OXRT does not work with Virtual Desktop and Steam VR? That is the trouble with standalone VR headsets that don’t have a direct GPU Display Port or HDMI connection. Very annoying having to keep tweaking the VR settings to get the best performance and sharpness on FSVR. But then I do like the standalone experience of these VR headsets, so much untethered freedom, and they are very good value.

I had this problem when I started out with the Pico 4. Beyond a certain point upping the resolution in Steam VR made things worse, regardless of framerate. I now just set Godlike mode in Virtual Desktop and then if you have the GPU power to do so, you can increase the override resolution only in the Toolkit to get a sharper image.
I also found out today that Motion Reprojection using the setting in Virtual Reality does not use Steam VR’s ASW, rather it uses the Pico 4 headset itself to do Synchronous Space Warp.

But what? How can you use FSR or NIS with Pico 4? I didnt know, that it is possible. Has OXR toolkit updated?

so you are

• upscaling your pico resolution with SteamVR with 192% (4320x4320) (thats basicly super-extra-hyper antialiasing using there)
  • lowering your current upscaled resolution with 90% (3888x3888) using with oxr toolkit and using FSR to make it sharper.

For me, that is just too much going on. Have you tried just with god like and with steamVR´s “advanced Supersample filtering” to make it sharper?

Pico just uses SteamVR OpenXR, which worked since day 1 with OpenXR Toolkit. Not sure what past issue you are referring to.

The only issue that ever existed with SteamVR OpenXR to my knowledge was in NIS scaler initial Alpha version, over 14 months ago :slight_smile: every version since had proper support for SteamVR OpenXR.

2 Likes

I had G2 and everything worked great. Then i did buy Pico 4 and hassled with it since october. Just tought that Pico4 wont support OpenXR and therefore those FSR´s and NIS isnt working. But now i did change openxr runtime for SteamVR and now they are working.

Somehow my pico4 is not giving me opportunity to go past 60fps. Or it is msfs problem. Someone has same problem with Q2 headset. I give you example. I can fly 60fps with God like and ultra settings in msfs. There is 10% gpu headroom. Ok, i will change VD mode to potato and lower msfs settings to low. Still only 60fps with 80% GPU headroom.

Please give some details of what graphics card, CPU and WIFI connection etc you are using, so we can help you find the problem.

Its not actually a problem. I thought that Open XR Toolkit could be used with Virtual Desktop and Steam VR, but I am not sure if it makes any difference. The VR image looks the same whether OXRT is enabled or disabled? The present settings with Virtual Desktop and Steam VR gives a good result in FPS and sharpness, without OXRT. The FS settings are DLSS and Ultra settings. For some reason if I try TAA, FS CTD? FSVR does not like TAA mode with my Pico, Virtual Desktop and Steam VR? My system is a RTX3090, i9-11900K, 32GB Ram. Superfast BB. Whether I use cable or Wi-Fi, it does not appear to make any difference, certainly not noticeable. I do use a high quality gold Ethernet cable direct to PC, and the Pico 4 is only 2 to 3ft away from the Router.

1 Like

I have

• 5800x3d
  • usb-c to ethernet adapter, so pico 4 is wired via my router to VD streamer.

But in sudden, i was now able to archieve +60 FPS with OXR toolkit. But without it, no change. It is just resting in 60fps with 30-40% GPU headroom.

Long time lurker. Just joined to offer my advice for those that are interested. I have a 4090 and 13700k, and a Pico 4.

Spent all weekend trying to get a setting that works for me. Think I’ve finally got something;

VD Settings:
Godlike
Video buffer on
SSW on

Steam:
100% render settings

OXRT:
FFR quality preset
No sharpening
Cap FPS to 45

MSFS:
Ultra Preset
TAA @ 100% render resolution.

GPU headroom is around 30% at all times.
45FPS rendered
90fps in the headset (SSW doing it’s thing)

Dials, gauges, labels and buttons are all crystal clear.

I was on the verge of returning the Pico 4 until I got to these settings, it is now incredible :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Really strange, 4090 12900, tried all above and couldn’t get the clarity, returned and went back to G2

Thanks for the settings. I’ll give them a try.

Also, make sure the “AMD Sharpening” (under render resolution % slider) in flight sim is set to zero. It causes a weird artefact - if you turn your head and stop to look at a new area, it will be out of focus for a few ms, and then appear sharp. It’s very uncomfortable in VR. Much better having it set to zero.

If you prefer to not enable the VD SSW, 45fps with the Pico set to 90hz is still very smooth, and the image is slightly nicer with now SSW

Maybe you forget to get rid of dlss?

What on earth do you mean ‘‘forget to get rid of dlss’’ ??? I can only play FSVR in DLSS, TAA mode CTD in VR?

Pico 4. As said I just can not see any difference in enabling OXRT? The FPS is the same, OXRT disabled. As for the brightness and sharpness, OXRT does not make any difference.

Sorry, I meant TAA is far better then DLSS in VR in terms of clarity. I replied to [TONYDARKZERO]. That’s just my experience and I have very clear and readable displays in 737

Hey guys. Trying to setup the Pico 4. One question - how do I alter the Display resolution (per eye) parameter in the OpenXR toolkit? It’s capped at 3240x3240. I really can’t remember how to change that.

You can change it in the SteamVR settings

In Steam VR I’m already at 192% (4320x4320), but OpenXR Toolkit remains capped at 3240x3240

Now… HOW do you increase the value in the Toolkit to 4400x4400? It’s capped at 3240x3240 here…

EDIT: OK I managed to make it work. But in a quite strange way:

Open the game and use WMR + OpenXR Toolkit (with the G2). Set the Display resolution (per eye) value as you want.

Close the game and restart the PC, switch OpenXR to SteamVR (not so easy).

Restart the game, activate VR, open the OpenXR Toolkit… and the resolution is there! Right now I’m 4408x4408.

If I try to change this resolution while using SteamVR, it gets back instantly to 3240x3240 and it’s capped.