Pimax Crystal - orders open

$1599.

Specs are really good :
35 or 42 PPD.
Upto 125 degrees horizontal fov. (edit: in independent testing it has less than this)
Standalone capability.
Wireless and PCVR. (edit: wireless not yet ready)
Eye tracking.
Auto IPD.
Aspheric lenses.
Local dimming so blacks are actually black.
It comes with controllers and has inside out tracking so doesn’t need basestations or additional controllers (but can be used with them if you have your own).

What’s the consensus on aspheric lenses vs. pancake lenses? Which is better?
There are a few things coming to market right now, so trying to weigh up all of the options.
I know the Aero uses aspheric lenses, but the Pico and QPro use pancakes.
The Crystal looks like a very cool piece of hardware though, with combined PCVR and standalone. Could be a good one!

1 Like

I have used aspheric lenses in an Aero and Oculus Rift DK2, the big advantages over fresnel was no godrays and big sweetspot. I don’t know how they compare to pancake lenses having never experienced them but I think they have quite a few similarities, pancakes have no godrays/big sweetspot too afaik. I think they are both good options.

Wow! That looks impressive! But I’m not buying anything until reviews are out…

3 Likes

Very sensible :+1:

So when is it supposed to be delivered lol?

The 12k is the upcoming premium PCVR solution, right? This looks pretty cool but I don’t need standalone. When is the 12k supposed to be coming?

Pimax says shipping will be by xmas. I doubt this, but I don’t think it will be much later than that.

Yes.

They originally said Q4 2022 but that is widely considered to be not possible now. I think it will be late 2023.

1 Like

It was a launch event that didn’t launch the product. Stuff like this just reinforces their reputation for unreliability.

2 Likes

That’s a fair comment.
In certain ways it seems they haven’t learnt from previous mistakes during the Crystal “launch”. But the Crystal has so much potential it’s hard to not get somewhat excited by it, on paper it’s specs are unparalleled.
If Pimax can deliver on what they promise then this will be the best hmd available by some margin.

True, except in the design department. It looks fairly horrendous. Though I guess that’s partly due to the wide FOV causing the wearer to resemble a hammerhead shark.

1 Like

lol! actually, 1 of the pimax employees who often uses the pimax forums goes by the username hammerhead_gal and her profile pic is her wearing a pimax hmd :slight_smile:

Haha, figures!

Lol really? Who cares how it looks? You can’t see yourself, and you look like a fool with any HMD you put on your face! :joy:

2 Likes

One time while flying I heard a camera click. It was my wife taking my photo in the heaset. She was sharing it on facebook to show her girlfriends what I was doing. I didn’t believe that though. I think they were making fun of the way I looked. Luckily I don’t care how I look and I certainly don’t care what others think about how I look. :rofl:

3 Likes

I stuck in a preorder place out of interest, if they can deliver on the claims it could be a fantastic headset.

Recently found out however it’s Nvidia only which is something of shame - the 7900XTX seems to smack the 4090 heavily in value for money so would be nice to have the option for AMD cards in the future, especially if it’s a headset that you’ll keep for a few years.

Not sure whether to keep the pre-order at this point or cancel and wait to see what GPU I want to upgrade to next once the 7900XTX gets reviews.

I know i know :rofl:
But some look better than others, not that it matters

That’s unbelievable. First the Varjo and now the Crystal are Nvidia only! I agree the 7900xtx seems like my next card as well. I only need some reviews to make it official. I thought the Crystal was my next headset but I guess Pimax just made my blacklist.

I suggest you cancel your preorder. I’ve been on their web page and looked at their release video and it certainly wasn’t obvious they took this approach.

I haven’t yet found the comment, but someone mentioned they would look at supporting AMD 7000 series but can’t commit to anything until the cards release… all that’s sure is that for now at least, Nvidia only.

I’m assuming they are using some Nvidia framework like Varjo. It’s clear that AMD themselves also have some work to do in supporting advanced VR frameworks if multiple headset manufacturers claim to be unable to use them.

Undecided at the moment. Still don’t know when the headset will actually launch so might hold onto the pre-order for now and see what shakes out… definitely annoying though.

I think that Pimax should scrap a lot of the Crystal fluff and just produce a fine PCVR headset with good inside out tracking, and include a good wifi solution for wireless PCVR that doesn’t depend on Virtual Desktop to make it work properly.

I’d get rid of the standalone, SteamVR faceplate, MR faceplate, 60Hz wigig wireless, and their silly Pimax store. They should also be including the optical cable with this premium product.

By trying to do everything with the Crystal, they are just setting themselves up for multiple points of failure that will be difficult to support. So no, I won’t be re-ordering one of these, lol!

1 Like

I have reserved 1 on the basis of how good the feedback is on their forthcoming USA and Europe (this month and Dec) Crystal roadshows, where they’ll be letting the public try out the Crystal. If the feedback is bad i’ll be cancelling my reservation (the reservation is $30 and can be be refunded), if it’s good then i’ll be further up the queue than people who order only once they’d heard good feedback.

I ordered on the 5th Nov and was order number 2820, apparently the order number equals the order quantity for that particular day, if so then it’s looking like they are being ordered in significant quantities.