Pitch too high in may planes

yeah, the basically put the same foil on most planes in game.

The Diamonds indeed, I‘ve only flown the Da20 for a significant time but its lift and drag is completely wrong. The sim‘s 172 however is pretty accurate. In our club‘s french N version we only have a rather basic artificial horizon that‘s more a situational indicator just like the typical Cessna fuel gauges so accurate readings are impossible, however from comparision from outside when someone else crosses the fence and the sim‘s version it‘s very close. Let it be 1 or 2 degrees off. Wrong however is the seating position in most sim aircraft. We‘re often placed further down in order to be able to easily look out to the side windows and too far behind so we can see the whole panel while in reality the panel is directly in front of you which would be highly umcomfortable in a sim with a hatbutton. This results in a bad view to the front. It‘s a bit like when you placed the POV in the Da62 a bit to the middle to improve the usability for people without TrackIR. Appreciated in a sim by many but it also leads to some distortion.

In VR it‘s easier to reposition the POV and still be perfectly able to get a good feeling for the airplane. In 2D it‘s always a compromise.

4 Likes

One can always put a pillow under his … :yum:

1 Like

though, every plane is different. These are both 172Ns with CD155s. Same weight, same speed.

one of them is perfectly level and the other is about 1° nose down to the FPV

I don’t know how sophisticated/precise the attitude indication is on cheap GA aircraft.
Is it possible that the pretty significant difference is due to an simple indication inaccuracy?

2 Likes

Cheap? That 500 txi costs 15k. These planes have full ADAHARS and are fully IFR certified.

edit: ADAHARS is a dynon thing.

1 Like

As a former 1.70m tall pilot (well, I’m still 1.70m, but I’m not a pilot anymore :wink:) I can relate.

I use a track-IR, and in my Dr400, whose dashboard is not that high, I need to stand up on my chair on approach, or lean to the left. That’s something I plainly recall doing IRL.

The problem is worse with the higher dashboard in Cessna or Piper planes. The PA28 in my flying club had a dedicated cushion on board.

What are we looking at exactly? One photo I can’t make up what the flightpath is, the other is descending …

in cruise in the first pic. 0 vertical speed

So there is no comparison, one is flying level, the other is descending :sweat_smile:.

By the way you can’t directly compare the AOA (roughly the angle between pitch symbol and FPV) during different flight phases even though the speed and weight are the same because the load factor is different.

what do you mean? im at a constant decent rate -500fpm

One photo is taken during descent, the other during level flight right?

Load factor is lower during climb / descent as the component of weight opposing lift is smaller, therefore lift must be smaller for a stable, unaccelerated climb / descent.

Similarly you can’t compare the AOA while flying level with the AOA during climb while “hanging on the prop” or during turn.

0.14% different yeah

Well, I never needed a cushion. 1,76 and shrinking😉
There was a guy in the club that always had his own cushion under his arm when he went flying.
I guess that for people seeing this and not knowing what this is about, there was a lot of speculation🤣

That is when I press the space-bar, so I do not have to stand up😋

I did fully loaded planes to their MTOW, not what the sim loads by default, 50% fuel and very light.
also try in cruise while level flight reduce the speed to mid flaps speed like you would do in clean slow flight, it’s also looks pretty high with pitch. Not just the 172 try B350 or Barron.

Ok fair enough :joy:. Still don’t believe the difference can be that much, when I flew as an instructor we had a fleet of 10-ish aircraft, they were all performing slightly different of course but there was never this much difference. And those were really old ■■■■■.

What does the FPV on the G1000 indicate anyway? Is it the flightpath through the air or referenced to the ground? In the latter case wind influences the descent angle and you therefore can’t conclude anything by comparing FPV with the pitch.

Same conditions, level flight and then noting the pitch is the only accurate way.

One of the first things I noticed when I got into a real c-172, was how high the dash is to see over compared to a car. You just have to get used to the obstructed forward view. You don’t have the luxury of changing camera views irl.

1 Like

I use Track IR and I find my POV slowly sliding down whilst flying. I couldn’t work why until someone else mentioned that they had observed the same and had put it down to just naturally relaxing in your chair in to a slouch.
A quick tap of F12 (to reset Track IR viewpoint) on short final gets the view back to where it should be.

1 Like

These are default aircraft, purposefully made to be easy for ANYONE to fly. They were programmed so a child can easily fly them. If you want more realism get an add on.

This is done by setting all the menus in the ASSISTANCE OPTIONS options to EASY.

Setting all the ACCESSIBILITY menu items to HARD makes flying much more realistic and challenging. As the description says “the most authentic experience.” It is so challenging I don’t know anyone who has flown any aircraft for mor than 10 or 15 minutes using all HARD settings.