Pixelated and grainy clouds are back starting with 1.14.5.0

I think the colours from distance and resolution and pixelation when close are worse than the grain. But the grain is bad as well of course!

4 Likes

watched both of these side by size on my 32" 1440p monitorā€¦ 5 times in a row. there is no difference. there never has been a difference. Maybe Asobo just needs to get rid of clouds all together since no one likes themā€¦ for no reason.

Also, does everyone understand the clouds are not textures? They look and act different every time theyā€™re created. Sometimes they look great, sometimes they look ok, sometimes they look bad. But they are the same exact clouds since day 1. Asobo has even said in its Q&Aā€™s that they havenā€™t done anything with clouds and donā€™t see what everyone is talking about. They also hinted a new cloud or weather system coming ā€œsoonā€ soā€¦ how about everyone stop pretending the clouds are ā€œbadā€ and lets talk about something else for once.

1 Like

I counted about 5-6 times I saw the same pattern repeated over and over in that vidā€¦ The only time that happens in MSFS is if you have a lot of clouds in a very thin layer.

1 Like

It is also an (payware) add-on, not part of the native game, and VR is not supported.

ā€œReplacing default sky and clouds with realistic procedural shader-based sky and fully volumetric cloudsā€

Sounds a lot like what we have in MSFS by default.

itā€™s worst than anytime before now

Sun, lightning, ATC, ā€œfly backā€, grainyā€¦all of them completing one year and no solution

1 Like

Agree with the comments about grainy clouds remaining an issue. Iā€™ve flown a lot in the last 24 hours and in my opinion itā€™s worse than ever. Iā€™m sure it was completely fixed earlier in the year. (I have clouds on ultra setting as well)

Like others iā€™ve lost hope that Asobo will ever fix it. Even when they do you resign yourself to it breaking again within 6 months given the terrible state of their testing.

I agree as well. These clouds look like absolute crud and they didnā€™t beforeā€¦

Today my clouds looked really good for the first time since month. Only thing i changed was turning Bloom off.
Or it is a server Side Glitch and i was Just lucky

And how was your sun after that? Just a white ball whithout rays?

Just had the grainy ones again on my way from CYCB to CYRB at FL300 approximatelyā€¦ forgot to take the screenshot though as proof for the doubters. ā€¦ nevermind though.

My issue coming from Active Sky/REX/ASCA etc., is the complete Meh of the same sky and cloud textures/shapesā€¦ all year round, everywhere on the planet.

Itā€™s as though they thought 1 cloud variation for each typeā€¦one sky colour for dawn and duskā€¦ regardless.

Dull. Zero inagination. Zero thought.

All this photogrammetry and POIs, but heh ā€¦ who cares about the skies ?

Oh, and has anyone actually seen a black night sky ā€¦ like ANYWHERE ?

I have an Oled. I want black skies. Nada. Not unless you turn down brightness so much you canā€™t see anything else.

Fooā€¦ baaaah.

Flying through clouds just isnā€™t fun anymore. This is not the ultra quality we had.

And no those arenā€™t video compression artifacts.

8 Likes

Yep, they took one of the things that made the sim more visually stunning than anything Iā€™d seen in another game and basically ruined it.

4 Likes

@p1nba11er 100% in agreement

I have seen the exact kind of artifacts shown in your video while flying through cloud tops, but only on one occasion. It was in SU5 HF2, while testing the new Garmin NXi in the default C208 Caravan.

OTOH, I have made other flights with no such artifacts. This most recent was yesterday in the WT CJ-4 mod, (SU6), descending into a broken cumulus cloud layer. It looked perfect. I was in and out of the tops several times before entering solid cloud, and there were no artifacts or pixelation at all.

I donā€™t know if the specific aircraft or avionics (such as the NXi) could have any effect. The graphics settings were the same in both cases.

GPU is an 11GB GTX-1080Ti.

@HalberQuacky Iā€™m afraid it is just the SU5 graphical downgrade to increase performance which was unnecessary.

1 Like

As I said, I have only seen those kind of blocky artifacts entering clouds one time post-SU5. On my past few flights with clouds, the artifacts have not occurred. If it is a ā€œdowngradeā€ it is not happening all the time on my system. It looks more like an error in the graphics processing. The one time I saw it, I was using an aircraft with the new NXi avionics suite. (I usually fly the CJ-4).

1 Like

Same ugly clouds with my RTX3080ā€¦ Flying through clouds really isnā€™t fun anymore. In my opinion clouds generally change shape way too fast. This possibly contributes to this problem. Please ASOBO fix this cloud issue!!!

3 Likes

I get these artifacts almost all the time. How bad it is seems to be related to the type of weather but the basic point is, it wasnā€™t like this before SU5 and this sucksā€¦ BAD.

3 Likes