Pixelated and grainy clouds are back starting with 1.14.5.0

I refuse to play this game until they fix the clouds. Another disappointing update.

1 Like

Yes clouds havenā€™t been fixed as well as color banding and some other visual issues.
But they did fix a lot (and broke other things) in this SU6.
Iā€™d say that on the visual part, weā€™re missing:

• Color banding fix
  • Clouds fix
  • Reflections fix (this one has been on since the release)
  • Some night sepia masks fix
  • Completely remade lightning effect

Apart from those, itā€™s pretty good. Fingers crossed!

5 Likes

Just took off from EDDF. Terrible quality even at ultra. Hope for a fix in SU7

2 Likes

Clouds are same, very pixelated, just like from 1988 atari games. what a shame ms and Asobo!

Flying through clouds still looks like crud. Itā€™s very clear they ruined clouds to make the sim playable on ā– ā– ā– ā–  hardware.

1 Like

Absolutely

Updated to SU6ā€¦ started the denmark bush flightā€¦ aaandā€¦ cloud reflections look like horrible blocky nintendo graphics. Not only that, the reflections moves up and down constantly, I couldnā€™t take it anymore andā€¦ time to shelf the sim for another few months.

Blocky clouds are fixed. Not perfect but a looooot better.
Just go to the graphics options and set the Cubemap reflections to 256.
The reflections have always been ugly, dunno when theyā€™ll have a look at the reflections issues, they literally never talk about them in their Q&A.

I am also getting random occasional grainy clouds, and even sometimes a grainy cockpit details after the new update.

Sometimes I see them like this (pixelated edges), other times they look much better. Pretty strangeā€¦

2 Likes

This is new cloud shadow banding since latest update with HDR.

NEVER seen this before. What the heck has happened?

This: (votes very welcome!, as despite the [Bug logged] tag we cannot be sure if it is on the devā€™s radar yet.)

I concur with the clouds not looking and / or behaving like prior to the V6 update. I would like to add that the cloud behavior when flying into or out of clouds is strange as well. The cloud becomes broken into what I would call horizontal distorted layers that flow over the windscreen especially when exiting the cloud. It looks very strange and not at all what I remember prior to this updateā€¦

I have not attempted to roll back my nvidia driver for my 3080 to see if this has any impact. Probably a long shot but to be completely thorough.

1 Like

Current Ultra clouds look more like the ones on the left:

2 Likes

Donā€™t waste your time. The clouds were ruined in SU5 so that xbox users can run the game. The cloud particle effects are super resource intensive so a simple way to make the sim perform better is to kill those effects. Weā€™ll see if they restore nice clouds when they re-do weather in SU7 but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

5 Likes

this is exactly the issue

1 Like

The thing I donā€™t understand is that Xboxes donā€™t use Ultra settings, itā€™s either Medium or High, it has been said in a Q&A.
So why Asobo didnā€™t just leave the Ultra setting the way it was? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Wasnā€™t this thread originally about grainy clouds at a distance? Why was the reduced cloud detail introduced with SU5 merged here?

Ultra clouds never looked this bad before SU5:

5 Likes

This is not bad:) This is bad:)

3 Likes

How did you manage to make Flight Simulator work on Playstation 2?

4 Likes