Pixelated and grainy clouds are back starting with 1.14.5.0

AppData>Roaming>Microsoft Flight Simulator

Yup, thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. Cloud quality has gone down and it used to be one of the nicest features.

1 Like

No, not as bad as is it now. It is the worst it has been in terms of pixelation.

3 Likes

Thanks again.
Found it and set it.
It seems to have helped somewhat :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thank you for this! Until I saw your post I thought ASOBO implemented those grains to the clouds to increase performance :slight_smile:

It looks incredible now.

2 Likes

If working - mark as solution.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/clouds-pixelated/433238/2

Youā€™re welcome.

Hope so ā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™ve been quiet about the whole SU5 thing, other than commenting on my overall update and very initial experience of first running SU5.

Iā€™m one of the lucky ones. Got an initial few CTDs and nothing since the hotfix. Iā€™ve been able to set Global Rendering Quality straight up to Ultra with a Frame Rate Limit of 60, and not one stutter on my 1080p system. Iā€™m very happy with that.

However, I do notice the glaring over-saturation of the outside view. Everything is too bright - to the point that my C172 glass panels are almost too dim to see, as they react to the ambient brightness of the outside. Itā€™s very, very evident.
BTW has anyone had that where the glass PFD is soo dim you canā€™t really make it out now?

The clouds are different. No doubt about it. Pre SU5 I used to flip between High and Ultra on the clouds, depending on how bad my FPS was getting when on final to a busy/complex airport.
The SU5 clouds are not quite the 100% Ultra clouds Iā€™m used to seeing, IMO.
Iā€™ve tried the Global Rendering Quality Ultra>Low>Ultra ā€˜fixā€™ but it makes no difference in my experience.
The clouds arenā€™t my main issue, itā€™s the over-saturated outside view. And maybe thatā€™s also giving the false sense in the clouds. Who knows?

Asobo have sorted this before (quite why we have to revisit this at all is another thread) and they will again. It was a massive perf rewrite, granted. Iā€™m convinced they were absolutely committed by an immovable Xbox launch date, and could not do anything other than hit that deadline.
Iā€™ve been there. Immovable software product launch dates are the things of my worst career nightmares. Iā€™ve had to disable features to make deadlines, and trust us software devs, itā€™s a horrible horrible feeling to have to do it.

Asobo will fix this. Just like the December debacles, weā€™ll forget all about it soon enough when all is well again.

Thatā€™s my comment. Iā€™m going back out flying, over-saturated outside and non-Ultra clouds be cast aside, the sky is calling!

4 Likes

How strange I followed these same instructions yesterday and still had bad blocky clouds, I played around with these settings and ended up turning off eyeAdaptation and colorGrading, clouds look lovely now each to their own I guess.

What I donā€™t get is why they tried to fix something they already sorted out before. Oh wait, that ā– ā– ā– ā–  Xbox.

2 Likes

I did say that it worked somewhat :thinking:.
I guess that we are all going to have to wait for a proper solution.
Rather than a workaround :+1:

Hence the ā€œ(quite why we have to revisit thisā€¦.ā€ blah blah.
I know, I know.
The Xbox deadline. Thatā€™s it IMO. And now itā€™ll be fixed, again IMO.

Someone else commented somewhere ā€œat least this is the LAST absolute deadline major overhaul weā€™ll seeā€.
I hope theyā€™re right. The next immovable deadline is going to be the Top Gun DLC. I hope this doesnā€™t come with unwanted ā€œfriendsā€ in them packages.

To everyone on this post, ensure your graphics are correctly set as they were before (However, clouds have always been pixelated, perhaps just not to the extent of the image shown in post 5.) - the UI displays the sim as having your settings when they have actually been changed to a lower preset.
Reference page: Settings do not stick since SU5 - Bugs & Issues / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

Okay.
I have done a few tweaks as suggested.
To be honest!
None of them work in the way that I wanted.
So Iā€™ve deleted the config file and let Microsoft build up a new one.
Itā€™s running back as it was.
Thank you for your help though folks.
Iā€™m going to wait until they improve it.

1 Like

Now that youā€™ve disabled Sharpen and Film Grain please be sure to open the Properties of the File and tick Read only.

What a nasty bug.

2 Likes

Have you checked that both your Windows HDR and MSFS HDR is turned on?
My HDR looks decent enough here.

No need :wink:

Changing the ā€œsharpenā€ parameter to zero may help with cloud pixelation but it absolutely will cause blurry ground textures - especially at higher altitude. I have tried this in previous sim versions (SU3 and SU4), and though it does improve clouds, it has a substantial negative impact on other textures, and with the current graphics issues in SU5, I can only think it will make things even worse.

1 Like

I also have the sandy clouds.

2700x
16gb RAM
NVME SSD
3600x1600 display

Running everything on high.