Pixelated cloud textures

Not sure if I’m imagining it but clouds seem to look a lot worse since patch. Anyone noticed a weird pixelated, grainy texture on clouds?

9 Likes

This is not very new! Even if it´s after the last patch for you, for some other users this issue is existing longer.
So there are may other open threads you can leave you vote, which makes more sens eighter as they have already votings. This is more effective as just vote for another same topic thread :wink:

I sent Zendesk tickets about this with examples multiple times almost a year now.

Yes I see dots everywhere

The dots are spreading! See them on the trees now. Fs2020 has small pox

Yes! It’s a new problem for me, didn’t have the pixelated clouds before the latest patch. Now they are terrible.

1 Like

This is one more reason to force the developer to hear the pack! United we stand, devided we fall :wink:
Go here and leave you vote!

Make the Sim great again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s just the clouds, which to be fair I only notice if I zoom right in to them. That speckling effect can be seen if you look over your right shoulder at the back right of the G36 cabin wall.

At launch, I only notices those dots on cloud layers. As time went on, they became more and more prevalent. Now you can see them pretty much anywhere. Moreso on clouds, but you’ll see them inside your cockpit at certain angles, in reflections of your instruments on your windows at night, on gound items, etc. It looks like someone took a picture with a camera with the ISO too high.

1 Like

Here a theat to vote that issue

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sharpening-overdone-since-last-update-everything-looks-way-too-sharp-and-pixelated/311550

Or

I have also had pixelated clouds, when I zoom in. I have set the clouds to Ultra, but still dots. They are on the edges of the clouds.

That’s because they are noise rendered clouds. There’s nothing to fix. They can try to decrease the noise level but it will have an impact on the performance

I agree that the cloud quality seems to have diminished recently, but I’ve also noticed that the quality has diminished (for me) only when using Live Weather. If I manually select the Storm option under the custom weather, the clouds look really amazing.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the programming that could explain this difference?

1 Like

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fix-pixelated-clouds-and-shimmering/260199

1 Like

I turned off grain and sharpness, no more pixels. You have to do it yourself in the UserCfg file. Type %AppData% in your windows search bar. look for msfs folder.

1 Like

@SparkyTuna1053 Could you give specific folder and or path please and what you changed? Would like to test this.

1 Like

How did you make the usercfg to save your changes ?
Everytime i start msfs usercfg goes back to default settings.

1 Like

Sorry i was at work, just got home.
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
I open UserCfg with notepad and look for post processing.
here is what my file looks like. i changed sharpen to 0 and filmgrain to 0
{PostProcess
Enabled 1
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 1
Sharpen 0
Fringe 1
LensDistortion 0
Dirt 1
LensFlare 1
FilmGrain 0
Vignette 1
LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
FringeMultiplier 1.000000
once i am done i just x out and it will ask you to save and i select yes.
works good for me no reset and pixels are gone. let me know if it works for you guys.

1 Like

Unfortunately, every time you touch the graphics settings in game, that file will be overwritten with postprocess back on, [Edit: sorry, just checked, that’s fixed now, film grain etc stayed off] Sharpen will stay off, however somehow it gets very blurry with that off even with render scale at 200. Down sampling from 4K shouldn’t look like vaseline was smeared all over the screen.

I guess that in game sharpen is to help or combat the side effects of TAA. Although it still looks blurry without AA. No clue what’s going on.

Clouds are another issue though, they seem to render at half (or quarter rather) resolution on a grid. Very visible at night with all the lightning.

i get no blur from turning off sharpen, looks great. i am on 1440 but my buddy is 1080 and said it looked way to soft. I have read other people confirming the same thing, but who knows it all feels like a guessing game right now.