Planes bouncing too much?

Yes I am. I’m taking a break from flight. I was very excited to get the new sim but couldn’t do it when it was first released due to my pc not being sufficient enough. I absolutely love the scenery, major improvement. I have always loved flying the jetliners in all the sims more than the GA aircraft. I did fly several aircraft in the new sim and had no trouble flying and touching down smoothly but those aircraft aren’t my preference.

I always disliked that the aircraft in FSX had the tendency to stick too easy to the ground.
Maybe you just need to get used to MSFS.

E.g. a two point landing with the Extra can easily result in multiple bounces, same IRL.

Early on, it seemed every time I flew the 78X it landed on a pillow and taxi was easy. There was an update around November/December and now even what seems a smooth landing (hard to look outside without the replay, but see the vs ~150fpm) and the sound is like dropping a bowling ball on a concrete slab thud. Plus if it seemed the gear found a dip in the apron/taxiway, it’s like 70%N1 to get unstuck (yes, RTO autobrake and no parking brake). I do get the bounce when I’m not in the glideslope or non-optimal speed. I know lately at the runway threshold (until SU4) the auto throttle didn’t seem to want to turn off until wheels down; making a float happen all the more often and hence trying to push yoke forward to drop onto the runway leading to bounces. Now with SU4, I did get the AT cut a little higher above the runway making it easier to minimize floating.

What I’ve been experiencing has been almost every landing experience varies in some way. The APP refuses to follow glideslope and the 90-100º turns are now an understeer leading to a correction after the turn. Still testing AP/APP to see if it captures the glideslope. Pre SU4, I started to get used to the landing pattern but that now seems all changed.

So to the points noted above, it’s just not about the last 100ft-10ft flare, it’s all the presentation during final; and so far I’ve experienced unique approaches almost every time == inconsistent behavior, versus maintaining a nominal approach profile (regardless of heading, regardless of crosswind-adjusted perspective, regardless of runway altitude; it’s all in the nice nominal boundaries).

How is it possible to practice when each time there is a slightly different approach in some way?

That’s an interesting one. At which height did AT refuse to disengage, and in which way do you disengage it?

This is an error of the past, Thank Asobo, for solving the problem urgently, and not frustrating us even more… Yes, and thank all of you, that have supported our demand to solve the problem promptly, Not to forget, thank god too… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After update 1.16.2.0, B787 hops like a grouse in spring. What a mistake. Comic?Supplement: This hopping is limited to EDDB third-party software. It’s bouncing until I get in the air. So taxi and it starts with the pushpack to the runway.

Refuelling and charging must not be rear-heavy. shift the focus forward. Then it works.

It seemed to not disengage around 100-200ft (when I moved the throttle slider, nothing changed<-is how I knew), instead had to float it out and hope it did drop or else on the ground then it would speed up again for a go around unless that was the action for the reverse thrust. It was just a messy situation.
I ended up mapping a joystick button to disengage the AT or else click the “AT arm” switches to off position. But now in SU4, AT did disengage but I need more flights to test this and not the flights from mid-air to landing (that’s a mess now), and instead a runway takeoff then test landing.

Moving the throttle (slider) shouldn’t (and doesn’t) disengage AT.
You should use the AT arm switches to disengage at, latest before the flare at ~50ft.

If you don’t disengage it, it will add thrust during the flare to maintain the selected speed.

Yup, I had the same issue with springy rubber tires.
I was taxiing (78X) at KSFO on A (it was near some of the gates), there was a couple asphalt patches on the ground. When the front gear hit the patch, the whole plane pitched about 30-40º up and it kept oscillating, including tail striking the ground, but thank goodness for dampening and it settled back down to the ground.
So it could be some incompatible coefficients concerning surfaces and at least the 78X gear.

^ moving the slider proved the AT wasn’t disengaged.

I don’t understand. Previously you wrote that since AT didn’t disengage, you ended up assigning a button to disengage it.

How did you try to disengage it before?

If the PFD message in the left upper corner says SPEED it means that AT is engaged (in speed mode)

I should add the AT wasn’t disengaging even at 10-20ft prior to SU4. It seemed to be a very small window for the AT to disengage.

OK-I was writing before and after together:

initial (tests)) Upon landing with the 78X and at the 10-20ft threshold, the AT didn’t disengage. I could prove it (not only looking at the PFD for SPEED, wasn’t always looking there) by the throttle slider wouldn’t change N1.

Remedy) Added a joystick mapping to disengage AT.

I still don’t get it. What has altitude to do with AT disengagement?
It always disengages when using the appropriate command.

Disengaging at 10-20ft doesn’t make sense because you should be at idle thrust at this height.

MSFS patch notes stated they reconfigured the AT automatic disengagement thresholds at runway approach, including the 787-10. I forgot which one.

It was working well, then the patch seemed to break it, then SU4 seemed to restore it.

I see, but again, at 10-20ft it’s way too late to disengage AT.

This very low height is due to the go-around logic, it’s there to prevent the AT from increasing thrust under certain circumstances.

That’s btw. exactly the reason why the Emirates 777 crashed during the attempted go around at DXB.

That was my whole point. The whole discussion regarding AT disengagement started out of how approach speeds cause bouncing while landing, and it doesn’t help when (newer simmers?) pilots are trying to land without idle throttle.

MSFS started out with a much friendlier AT disengagement window.

I just don’t understand how you’re missing the point that perhaps the automatic AT disengagement is/has been set too low to the ground, but it seems to be a little better (higher) now in SU4.

I don’t think that this disengagement window is there to help novice pilots.
It’s there to keep the aircraft systems as realistic as possible.

(RL) if I had a RL point of reference, then that would be an accurate way to judge the realism.

(Sim) However, logic would dictate the automatic AT disengagement occurring at 5ft above the ground is not realistic either.

787 Dreamliner: after landing the front wheel bounces during taxi, speed under 40 Knots. I am using the brakes and it keeps bouncing until a full stop. The bouncing seems to get rougher the more I taxi and the tail is getting closer to the RR at each bounce, so I put on the parking brake - boink - now we’re stopped on the RR no bounces. Yes, I am only a 4 month MSFS 2020 player and previous to this update I had never seen a taxi front wheel bounce as it if were playing jump rope or it has a hot-foot, very odd.

(if you watch earlier, there were no ILS pointers for ILS 22 and hence a steep descent on final, but I’m reporting separately)

MSFS SU4 landing: 20ft is when AT auto-disengaged (no user interference - I didn’t do the disconnect).

If anyone has input as to the RL behavior and whether this is accurate.

Found here that AT is disengaged at 500AGL (for 787-8 with qualification it shouldn’t be used for real-world aviation):
Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner: Operating manual and checklists - FlightGear wiki