Planes pull hard to the right on take off

Thanks for the video.

It’s a real pity Microsoft haven’t bothered to attempt to fix this. It is a glaring and obvious error which affects any aircraft, default or otherwise. It happens with Live Weather and is even worse with customized weather due to that totally unrealistic “twerking” gust coding they use.

Easy fix. Don’t land in a crosswind. Thanks Microsoft!

1 Like

No. The prop effects on all MSFS aircraft cause a left turning tendency due to the CW turning prop.
(Applies to the multi-engined aircraft as well).

Are counter rotating props simulated on twins?

I don’t see any reason why this shouldn’t be possible.

I have noticed the King Air Dual Prop has the same problem when taking off.

1 Like

Confirm that there’s no crosswind?

I haven’t started MFS2020 for a while, but when I jumped on last night I noticed that take-offs appear far twitchier than they’ve ever been, and do pull to the right quite aggresively at times.

I’ve never understood the take-off modelling. In real life it’s not that difficult to keep the aircraft pointing straight, it certainly doesn’t twitch from side to side from 0-30 knots… obviously as speed increases you need more rudder input to correct for crosswinds and P-Factor

2 Likes

I’m desperately trying to learn this game, but keep getting knocked back by issues like this.

I love little prop planes but I’m being pushed off runways on landing and takeoff.

(Couple this with the AP on approach deciding to make me do U-Turns and for some reason I can’t throttle down during some landings)

Best advice would be to get used to flying with no wind whatsoever. Choose clear skies, and delete the single layer of wind. Just keep practicing that. You will know that there are no external influences on your plane that way.

When you feel you are comfortable with handling the plane, gradually introduce wind. Maybe only a few knots at first, and from different angles, and learn to handle it in that situation.

I’ve had this issue also…

• Happens with multiple aircraft when take off auto-rudder assist is switched to OFF so I believe I should have full manual control of the rudder.
  • Happens with no external input on my part, I can load the flight and simply throttle up and at 30 knots the rudder pulls right and stays like that until either off the ground or slowed down below 30 knots where it will centre itself again.
  • Nothing in community folder. Default aircraft with default livery.
  • No controllers or flight sticks/yokes connected/plugged in.
  • When the rudder moves to the right the pedals don’t move.

Here’s a quick screen grab showing the rudder move to the right as I hit 30 knots and back to centre when it drops below 30 and me fighting it for a scruffy take off. As you can see this is not the wind.

Check my post here

I had a similar issue, but in my post, I describe how I solved it.

Im aware of the 4 Left Turning Tendencies, but for a while now my aircraft have been pulling to the right.
I rarely see the craft turn left, but even in the piper, the c152 and the c172 they all pull right.

Anyone else getting this problem?

What gives?

Hi :slight_smile:

It seems you’re describing the Torque Effect.

Simply said : when your propeller “pushes” on air, it make your plane turn on the roll axis. As your prop goes clockwise, your plane goes counter-clockwise.

Or I might be wrong and you’re describing something that is not torque effect because you already knew about torque effect before making your post, in which case I’m sorry.

2 Likes

Thats some serious Torque Effect then because its happening in every aircraft i fly.

For the real GA pilots out there, does Torque Effect often overshadow the other 3 left turning tendencies on take off?

I Flew a Piper Warrior II on a discovery flight a month ago, and the instructor had his foot on the right rudder almost the WHOLE flight.

Does Torque Effect really do more than Spiraling Slipstream, P Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession?

This sim seems to be pulling all the planes to the right, and im trying to understand why.

I get the equal and opposite force, but shouldnt these planes be turning left/ yawing left most times?

Is Torque Factor the greatest force on GA planes?

The piper in the sim keeps pulling right, as do the cessnas.

Anyone else observing this?

A tricycle-gear aircraft with a prop that rotates clockwise (as viewed from the cockpit) only has three left-turning tendencies (gyroscopic procession really only comes into play in a tailwheel aircraft when you raise the tail).

That said, the sim amplifies the weathervaning tendency, so if you have even a moderate right crosswind, you may have the fight the nose from moving right by adding left rudder. There are ground friction scalars that have been added to some flight models to overcome some of this.

That said, we often see issues with control setups in which a rudder axis, brake axes, or rudder trim bindings are doubled up somewhere and overcoming the primary control. That, or they’re out of calibration.

Just to be sure, your flight model is set to Modern and not Legacy, right? Most of the aircraft I fly in sim pull to the left, not the right.

I think I answered this in a similar thread, but a tricycle-gear aircraft with a prop that rotates clockwise (as viewed from the cockpit) only has three left-turning tendencies (gyroscopic procession really only comes into play in a tailwheel aircraft when you raise the tail).

That said, the sim amplifies the weathervaning tendency, so if you have even a moderate right crosswind, you may have the fight the nose from moving right by adding left rudder. There are ground friction scalars that have been added to some flight models to overcome some of this.

That said, we often see issues with control setups in which a rudder axis, brake axes, or rudder trim bindings are doubled up somewhere and overcoming the primary control. That, or they’re out of calibration.

Are you switching fuel tanks?

Do you get this if you set the weather to clear skies, and also zero out the wind layer? If so, then its nothing external to the plane that’s doing this.