Players should lookup RNWY in use

Took me all of about week after launch to permanently set my multiplayer option off unless I’m flying in group or community event. Turned it on agan briefly after SU5, saw what I expected, and promptly turned it back off.

2 Likes

Every online game platform needs a server for the players to connect to. These servers are widely distributed around the world so that people can connect to the servers closer to them to have faster ping and less lag.

If there’s only one server located in the US, then only the people playing the game from the US will have faster responses compared to people living in Asia connected to the same server.

MSFS has multiple servers distributed, US, EU, and SEA (South East Asia) which I believe is located in Singapore. Most simmers from the US would be connected to the US servers, while the EU simmers would be connected to the EU servers. While simmers in Asia would be connected to the SEA server.

From what I’m seeing, MSFS users are not equally distributed around the world. I find that US and EU players make up more than half of the entire MSFS community. There’s not as many players in Asia or Australia which connects to the SEA server. And with the whole world at our disposal, the already fewer people connected to the SEA server gets even more spread out visiting and flying in many parts of the world, making us hardly ever see other players.

People connected to different servers can’t see each other. You have to manually switch to a different server in your profile. But connecting to a server further away may introduce some lag to you. Airplanes rubber banding, or freezing mid air for a few seconds before teleported 1 nm away each time.

Thanks for the great explanation! Learned a lot.

Also, as for me not seeing other players… well it turns out that I’m what they call a dumbass. I just realized that it’s been turned off in setting-traffic since the su5 update… so… anyway thanks.

1 Like

I was thinking about the All Players Multiplayer. I select that one because I use Rex WeatherForce for live weather and need to load the flight with the Clear Skies setting for Rex to be able to inject real weather. But now I see what you’re talking about. I wonder what OP has selected?

That’s why I don’t have Multiplayer on anymore, especially since it hit XBOX!!!

3 Likes

Looking at your instruments the wind appears to be coming from your right, and slightly behind. Perhaps you were taking off at the wrong end? :wink:

1 Like

You can have “All players”, and set the weather, or join the special group called “Live Players” where everyone has Live weather enabled which cannot be disabled.

It’s kind of a level playing field, where you know everyone is seeing the same thing.

1 Like

It was the norm before Xbox. I understand all the Xbox hate (I’m PC myself) but this ain’t it chief :joy:

9 Likes

Players should stop complaining too. It’s a game now with simulator in the title. If you were expecting people to fly and follow the procedures of a simulator, you will be mistaken.

5 Likes

You’re not, it’s just that the built-in multiplayer isn’t meant for you then.
There are options with enforced rules as stated by others (VATSIM, PilotsEdge, IVAO) where you can get more lifelike ATC and procedures.
But Multiplayer is just a playground without any kind of rules and enforcement of them. Given the many Group Flights where you often can’t follow rules, that’s a good thing imo.

3 Likes

The clue is in the word “multiplayer”. They’re just playing. Nothing wrong with that, but if you, like me, want serious simming just turn Multiplayer off and use live traffic or AI.
Or use one of the online services others have mentioned.

2 Likes

Not sure who creates more chaos though. The players or the AI? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There is a distinct lack of etiquette on runways, And runway spawning shouldn’t be an option. This kind of behaviour happens in all MMO/Multiplayer games though.

But it does teach us why we need laws in the real world.

1 Like

Then this is your thread:

That’s why you should dial in the ATIS freq prior to landing :slight_smile:

For added realism, turn off name plates. We don’t have those in real life. And as noted, use live traffic instead of all traffic. And definitely avoid that @OrigBullethead guy when he flys with CuzDawg3. They totally will buzz anyone close enough to see lights on. Giggle giggle

2 Likes

Well I dont use MSFS 2020 atc I use pilot 2 Atc or PF3 I have been allocated a runway and its been different to ai :man_shrugging: even different from my simbrief Flightplan. I believe in proper procedures. MSFS ATIS was different to pilot2atc and PF3 and simbrief. Any help would be much appreciated…although Vatsim is the way forward…if the controllers are available.

I wish MS/Asobo added dedicated servers for those who want to keep it real. Like for example, a pro server which requires you to have 200 hours or so flying the A320 or 787. Or any other passenger jet. Would be cool.

1 Like

Well, that‘s exactly what „Live Players“ (as opposed to „All Players“) is for :wink:

3 Likes

In my experience the runways not in use are way less busy, so you get a time slot for take-off and landing much quicker - gotta be home for lunch, y‘know.

As for the aircraft flying the other direction: I usually just flash them with my landing lights. They usually chicken out first…

Just sayin‘ :wink:

1 Like