PLEASE Asobo: return SU4 for PC users!

I’ve been a very vocal apologist for the various stumbles OTW to SU4, always insisting Asobo would not leave PC/Win10 users out in the cold when the Xbox port completes. I still believe this because for starters they already had it in great shape w/ SU4, but right now my excitement for MSFS has really dwindled. Between the loss of crisp high detail textures and the absolute washout of colors s/p SU5, the degredation in volumetric clouds, plus a few bugs hopefully that will get sorted out soon, I’m really disappointed to the point I won’t use it if it is not restored, and I’ll never buy an Xbox Series X to run it on, so that’s out. So many of us bought hardware to support sterling performance, now that is sitting idle largely–so little VRAM and RAM in use now. So yes, very sour grapes, and feeling a little egg on my face for having been such a staunch apologist. I see absolutely no reason, as the dust clear post-Xbox deployment, that the sim can’t run differently on both hardware platforms. Heck, MS/A could simply release SU4 for PC users and keep them separate completely and almost everyone on PC would be delighted right about now. Even for those w/ lower hardware capability—the controls for accomdating that worked very well. So, PLEASE Asobo–restore SU4 for PC users ASAP. I’m about to part ways it’s just lost appeal bigtime for me, and I’m sure for a few others. Thanks, I hope you are listening.

26 Likes

I mean really just fix the bugs and tune up the performance hacks and I’ll be very happy. HUGE improvements in generalized performance in the Los Angeles area and in VR.

Their testing and release cycle really needs vast improvement, which we’ve been telling them this whole time.

Based on my experience as a professional software developer I strongly recommend a shorter release cycle with smaller, more focused updates, and an open beta channel that has no NDA and is continuously updated (eg, major updates every week). Microsoft can inspire Asobo with this – Windows Insider program is very popular.

5 Likes

It’s very easy to have ‘HUGE improvements in gen performance’ when you dial back visual detail–easy peasy zero surprises where the improvement came from. I had an exquisite balance in SU4 that allowed me to use nearly all available VRAM, a lot of system RAM, and now that is ndearly cut in half, which really is another way of saying it’s simply not being used.

All you needed to do in SU4 was dial back until you got there. I certainly did and it worked very well flying in and out of KLAX and everywhere else.

3 Likes

You do know that VR performance AND visuals are BOTH better right?

Well, maybe you don’t. Or you don’t care. Or you find the visual unpalatable for some reason that I don’t care about. To each his own. Have fun with the sim!

1 Like

you can ask what you want, but thats not going to happen.
there are also many happy users with su5.

3 Likes

Agreed it won’t happen.SU5 needs some polishing otherwise I am loving it when it works other than some of the annoying ctds.

3 Likes

How people cant see any visual degredation is beyond my understanding. Considering the number of comparison screenshots and videos.
I somehow have flashbacks to the debacle of the Update, when they introduced massive stuttering and FPS loss. I think it was the UK Update when I am not mistaken.

A lot of people were complaining about the bad performance, but there were just as many saying “Everything works fine for me, you are imagening things” despite the evidence. Low and behold Asobo aknowledged that there was a problem and fixed the issue. After that I Didn’t hear anything from the people who claimed there is nothing wrong and that we are wearing tin foil hats.
Now it is the same stituation with the graphics. There is numerous of evidence out there and yet many people claim there is nothing wrong. But once again they will be proven wrong. I just hope ASOBO fixes it soon.

1 Like

NO do not bring SU4. SU5 is great.

8 Likes

(Edited for a healthier tone)

We do see that there are visual changes and in some cases degradations, but not all of us are as strongly emotionally invested in the exact graphical details. Personally, I really like the graphics but I care more about having a working, good, solid sim that’s fun to fly in and works smoothly and consistently.

And that’s what Asobo should prioritize fixing.

Graphics are nice too! I like the graphics. And I’m sure they’ll tune things up and give us back some additional sliders.

I do think all of us (myself included) are getting a bit emotionally wrapped up in our simulator, and should take a step back. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It would be nice if Jorg and Sebastian would come here to explain what he intends to do with this Xbox game after noSim Update 5.

My sim works very well, never had any problems like the majority. Why force a roll back on the majority.
Sorry to all those who are not having a good experience.

1 Like

Nope. Just no.

2 Likes

Asobo, PLEASE bring back ULTRA graphics for high-end PC! I’ve spent a ton of money to upgrade my PC (bought maxed-up Aurora Alienware + 4K monitor) and I’ve enjoyed the game visuals a lot before the SU5 update… but now I do not see any difference in graphics with my old PC! Why?!! I’ve never had any issues with FPS… but now I’m so frustrated with the game!

2 Likes

Everyone who disses this clearly did not share the experience that most of us have had on Avsim. Sure, it’s stable, but by comparison absolutely sucks visually, clouds, etc and again, leaves the upper part of decent hardware all but untouched. It’s very clear to me the those who don’t see this simply are used to an inferior experience.

2 Likes

Why change back to su4? Performance got so much better that it’s probably a better fundation to build on and imrpove graphics without losing much performance.

Yes at this moment it’s terrible. Especially the scenery culling and cloud colors. Lod’s seem to be worse too (autogen buildings i noticed the most).

But saying they just need to go back to su4 is a complete waste of time. They never gonna do that.

If you’re gonna put pressure then put it where it’s usefull. They should adress these issues as soon as possible and use the new techniques they introduced to make things look better while still keeping the improved performance.

For me personally, culling needs to be less aggressive and less visible. Texture, object lod’s should be improved (not just by changing the user.cfg… This is an complete unoptimized workaround to achieve this… ) and game should be using more ram when the system is capable off. Nice to only use 8gb of ram but i’d like to have better fps while looking around too instead of only when being static.

Edit. So what i’m trying to say is… Without these su5 changes there wasn’t probably much more to do graphically without losing more performance. So it probably won’t change much.

Btw. All of this ofcourse only applies when they actually aren’t focussing on xbox only from now on. Because i kinda have a feeling we’ve all been funding a kickstarter project for an xbox game this last year…

1 Like

“Change back to SU4” just means → bring back beautiful and crispy ground and cloud textures! The ground textures on ULTRA look like playing FSX with RWS mod. In fact, some FSX RWS ground sceneries looked better 7 years ago that I’m experiencing with MSFS2020 after SU5 update now!

I do not see any problem with ground textures.

1 Like

I agree, but it’s easier to improve graphics when performance optimizations are better, then keep building on older tech wich has his limits. I believe there’s much more capable now, only if they actually want to and not just keep optimizing for xbox.

Fly higher (FL30)… You will see most of the ground is not crisp anymore.

maybe you should fly lower and enjoy the visuals.

3 Likes