Please, bring back the content.xml

such a teeny-weeny yet irksome thing again introduced with just another SU.
content.xml was such a handy tool to keep neatly your default and custom sceneries in one single file, even helped enable or disable stuff without having to delete them from the content manager, especially the default airports by arranging the following flags accordingly, ie. active=“true” or active=“false”. it however now seems quite complicated to follow a track of what you have as either default or custom and enabled or disabled.

please, bring back the content.xml

why do I have to use an experimental dev mode tool, which appears to be a simple ordering list only and hardly offers any of the functionalities I’ve mentioned above?

2 Likes

Every update a downgrade.

5 Likes

you might be right, but I don’t think they would ever give a fig about it and I simply didn’t bother. I already have a bunch of them, yet none ever taken into account.

3 Likes

I don´t understand that, too … :man_facepalming: always one step forward and 10 backwards … ridiciolous …

8 Likes

i don´t even know what that is. :upside_down_face:

Addons linker is great for organising sceneries and far more flexible than content.xml ever was.

4 Likes

Addons linker cant disable Asobo airports . . .

Just my 2 cents , the new content.xml is as useful as a squire peg in a round hole …

4 Likes

I use addonslinker too, but it’s not the same thing as content.xml whereby content.xml gives you the outlook and ability of adjusting the default sceneries that you might easily switch on and off.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a fair point. I just never bother switching off default stuff, I just expect them to work properly when it’s part of the actual sim.

I am pretty ■■■■ about only having what I want loaded and have never once had the need for the content.xml apart from when I deleted it and had to write a new one with just one entry for the Fenix to work.

I use addon linker, and every time I get a new addon scenery just go to content manager and check if there is an Asobo handcrafted one and if so delete it, never to be turned on again.

2 Likes

Wow this is really bad indeed. I deleted my content.xml file today. Because i do that after every Sim Update. And was wondering why it its not been build again after starting the sim. Now i found this thread. And i am shocked they removed this. i didnt know that.

Because they conflicts really bad with some other Payware Airports.
How do i disable Asobo Airports now?

1 Like

via the content manager, just like before?

thank you to the forum moderators to provide us with info on the new content management in the dev mode. i already know about it, the point is that new manager is a primitive listing only that does clearly not have any functionalities content.xml had but only focuses on the priority parameter which sounds lame. I’m only hopeful the devs might add some real functions to it in the SU’s to come.

3 Likes

How are you supposed to manged conflicting airports now? The ones you need to put off, give priority to avoid duplicated elements, the ones that crashes the sim, the ones that are wrongly built by not renaming the modellib etc? All that was handled by the addon linker and a manual edit of the content.xml.
Don’t change useful things!! Like when you deleted the + and - from the time, it is irritating when you do this and useless and worst if nothing is properly explained.
It would be better if you asked the community if they would agree or not after all it’s us who use the game
How are we going to handle all the products that conflict?

3 Likes

my best guess why they are moving this to a utility rather than a file buried deep in the os folders …

so xbox has this functionality to order/reorder scenery
so beginner pc users can use it with much less likelyhood of borking something

i have seen people make derogatory claims on software you ‘need’ to edit files directly for, this is not something the average user expects from a video game, they are simply trying to put these ‘usefull’ functions INTO the game so we dont have to hack files
thats what we used to call modding files like this :smiley:

having said all that, i would rather have it back as well lol

I think the worst is to change something and leave everybody in the dark about it.
I think they should open a thread to discuss with users, the proposals, because at the end is us who do use the game, we need to feel happy with it, comfortable. If they had mentioned the intention of doing this and why at least people would have been aware. Thousands of pros and cons could have been analized and then reach a good term for users and the developer. But imposing changes is never welcomed, specially when you are already used to how all is, you finally learn and now it’s changed. I dislike the companies like Apple that forces you to do their will just because. It’s their way or their way, so not for me. This game gather an incredible community that I think we should have had at least an idea of what is planned to be changed because changes could cause a full rejection of a product and no longer using it. An example, make all planes study level, and I’ll send this to the trash can. As easy as that, something that could seemed great could have the worst effect in some. So, be inclusive of all of your users, make them part of. It is understandable that one cannot satisfy the 100% of users but at least tell the community, hear the opinions, and then, maybe you may have alternatives and not impositions, for example, the ones who want the content.xml in the original position, then keep it there, the ones who what it as the new way, then go for it, you’ll have a 100% satisfaction. No impositions and happy clients feeling they were heard and considered. Again, the game is for us, right? So you need to keep me happy for me to continue using it. (Me stands for user) Now, let’s just hope it works in the new way. cheers

1 Like

8 votes in 2 days, clearly hardly anybody is all that bothered about this and use other methods of dealing with sceneries.

How am i supposed to disable Asobo version of the same airport i have as an addon?

1 Like

Search for it by name in the in-game Content Manager, select it and hit Delete.

1 Like

Problem is when you get a payware airport for example covering the same area which is already present in the sim. I have a couple of these myself, such as LOWI, LICJ, LECO.

Guess though this is something that now needs to be addressed by the developers of these add-ons and how to make sure their products work as intended without default scenery interfering.